Michelle Obama: Being First Lady is like living in a ‘really nice prison’

I don't think the statement is shocking - it must be very stressful to be under the level of scrutiny the first family is under all of the time.

The issue I have is one of class. It's simply not classy to call your life a prison when you and your husband chose to be POTUS and FLOTUS not once, but twice. It's not classy when many people in this country are struggling to find work and put food on their tables...and you struggle with people criticizing your outfits on your vacation to Spain, or Hawaii, or Martha's Vineyard, or Africa. It's not classy to whine about how difficult your pampered, privileged, upper-class life is...when you are supposed to be sympathetic and aware of the struggles of this country's average citizens. She could have thought of a more diplomatic way to say it, or she could have saved it for her autobiography.

All that being said...getting outraged about President and Mrs. Obama displaying petulance and whiny entitlement is a bit like getting upset that the rain is wet.

I don't think the statement is shocking - it must be very stressful to be under the level of scrutiny the first family is under all of the time.

The issue I have is one of class. It's simply not classy to call your life a prison when you and your husband chose to be POTUS and FLOTUS not once, but twice. It's not classy when many people in this country are struggling to find work and put food on their tables...and you struggle with people criticizing your outfits on your vacation to Spain, or Hawaii, or Martha's Vineyard, or Africa. It's not classy to whine about how difficult your pampered, privileged, upper-class life is...when you are supposed to be sympathetic and aware of the struggles of this country's average citizens. She could have thought of a more diplomatic way to say it, or she could have saved it for her autobiography.

All that being said...getting outraged about President and Mrs. Obama displaying petulance and whiny entitlement is a bit like getting upset that the rain is wet.

Exactly.

Guys, did no one watchthe video? It was a joke. They laughed about having a chef and then Michelle said, "I can't complain".

Sheesh.

This is NO joking matter. The woman clearly feels entitled. It's as plain as the nose on my face. What Next? Stevie Wonder in the white house?

Guys, did no one watchthe video? It was a joke. They laughed about having a chef and then Michelle said, "I can't complain".

Sheesh.

You know they have to be outraged about something....or their lives have no meaning.

Michelle Obama: Being First Lady is like living in a ?really nice prison? | WashingtonExaminer.com

IF is what she thinks is a really nice prison and allowed to go on endless vacations SIGN ME UP.. What an ungrateful person she is.

Why do you feel that Martha Washington is ungrateful? You must be a communist to hate the first, first lady of our country like that.

The thread is about Michelle Obama...who jets around the world on multi-million dollar vacations and holds lavish parties at taxpayers expense.

I don't believe Martha ever did such things.

The article that this thread is about is based upon something Martha Washington said. Guess who didn't bother reading the article.........YOU! Shocking.

A fancy prison with housekeepers, chefs and doctors.. among other amenities... all on our dime.

Fuck her.. ungrateful bitch.

Funny how you idiots take a simple statement and turn it into an issue. Must be a slow news day. The best thing about reading posts on USMB is that I get my laughs for the day.

The first heifer wants pity and an appropriate show of appreciation for her personal sacrifice.

She can walk out the door any time.

Lets recap, Michelle starts the talk off explaining how amazing being First Lady is, saying its been "a freeing and liberating opportunity". Later the moderator asks if living in the White House is similar to living in a prison, the 1st lady jokes its a very nice prison, everyone laughs, then she says she can't complain.

Yup. I'm outraged.

Even though I'm an adamant disliker of the current POTUS, I think it's pretty obvious Michelle has been under quite some scrutiny (much of it unfair and nasty) for the past 6 years.

I realize this comes with the territory, but I'm sure it can wear on a human.
lol

we elected a president...not a first couple.

She can take her girls and move back home. The choice is all hers.

o_O

The 1st lady is an important part of POTUS and is often sent all over the world on diplomatic assignments. She really doesn't get to "take her kids and move out".

in my opinion, first ladies should not be sent anywhere on any assignments.... we did not elect them. We elect a president, not a first couple.

And yes, she can leave and move her kids home. She chooses not to. So bitching about it being a "nice prison" is bullshit.

Michelle Obama: Being First Lady is like living in a ?really nice prison? | WashingtonExaminer.com

IF is what she thinks is a really nice prison and allowed to go on endless vacations SIGN ME UP.. What an ungrateful person she is.

Even though I'm an adamant disliker of the current POTUS, I think it's pretty obvious Michelle has been under quite some scrutiny (much of it unfair and nasty) for the past 6 years.

I realize this comes with the territory, but I'm sure it can wear on a human.
lol

Yes..it's not like there are a whole bunch of domestic and foreign terrorists that would love to see them dead.

lol

o_O

The 1st lady is an important part of POTUS and is often sent all over the world on diplomatic assignments. She really doesn't get to "take her kids and move out".

in my opinion, first ladies should not be sent anywhere on any assignments.... we did not elect them. We elect a president, not a first couple.

And yes, she can leave and move her kids home. She chooses not to. So bitching about it being a "nice prison" is bullshit.

I agree, we do use 1st ladies without really voting for them or asking if they want to or are capable of doing the job we demand of them.

Also, she wasn't bitching about anything, she literally said "I can't complain".

Lets recap, Michelle starts the talk off explaining how amazing being First Lady is, saying its been "a freeing and liberating opportunity". Later the moderator asks if living in the White House is similar to living in a prison, the 1st lady jokes its a very nice prison, everyone laughs, then she says she can't complain.

Yup. I'm outraged.

I'm outraged that you are outraged.

It's pretty outrageous.

Forum List

Back