Migrant kids outperform local kids

..,"Competition" is nearly an end in of itself and that it always leads to "improvements"...

It is and it does.

I have asked you to point out the improvement from the OP and you have not.

You asked me to give you specific information about the UK, and I pointed out to you that I am not from there. Want to change your question?

The United Kingdom is pretty well wired in. IF there has been improvement from the competition from the OP, it should not be to hard to find.

Indeed, avoiding comment of topics we are not PERSONALLY involved in would eliminate the majority of this board.

You request is not nearly as reasonable as you are pretending, and seems more like a prelude to ",moving the goal posts".

BUT, in the spirit of generosity, do you have an example of competition resulting in improvement that you think shows it to be an Universal constant?

As I have said, the fact that American universities are by far the best in the world is the best example.

I've afraid I don't know enough about the history of American Universities to judge your point.

If you want to use the competition of American Universities, to show that that competition is what made them great AND that to use that to show that competition leading to greatness is a universal constant, you are going to have to explain and expand a LOT.

I don't WANT Americans to have to torture their children the way the freaking Japanese do in order for them to have a shot at getting into a top college........

What "torture"? Have you ever set foot inside a school in Japan? Have you ever gotten to know a Japanese family? Ever seen one of these supposedly tortured children? Or are you talking out your ass?

I don't WANT Americans to have to torture their children the way the freaking Japanese do in order for them to have a shot at getting into a top college........

What "torture"? Have you ever set foot inside a school in Japan? Have you ever gotten to know a Japanese family? Ever seen one of these supposedly tortured children? Or are you talking out your ass?

If you think my perception of the pressure and workload placed on Japanese children is incorrect, then say so and support your claim.

With more than snarky comments.

If you think my perception of the pressure and workload placed on Japanese children is incorrect, then say so and support your claim.

Answer my questions and you'll have your support.

Have you ever set foot inside a school in Japan? Have you ever gotten to know a Japanese family? Ever seen one of these supposedly tortured children?

No, I won't.

My point stands.

I don't WANT Americans to have to torture their children the way the freaking Japanese do in order for them to have a shot at getting into a top college.

Migrant students ‘more motivated to learn’ - BBC News

I guess they appreciate education more when they have to struggle to get it.

That is true. The UK youth has grown up with an entitlement mentality and they are paying the price for that. The elite go to schools that demand they work hard to graduate while the peasants get to go to the schools that make them feel good and then they go on the dole or get some other job that pays moderate wages. The wealthy though, who work their asses off. They make good money and the disaffected youth whine about it.

Typical.

No, I won't.....

Why won't you answer the questions? Afraid to demonstrate that you are talking out your ass?

The graduation rate is pathetic among mexican"immigrants" in the U.S.
Some of the dumbest MFer's on the planet.
Thats not really the case is it ? Graduation rates are improving all the time.

Only because the school officials lower the standards. When I went to school, back in the Dark Ages, the textbooks I had were outstanding. My Los Angeles Unified School district Chemistry textbook, from 1927!, is better than any college level chem textbook available. Far better. And we had to KNOW that stuff to get a decent grade. Today's youth are painfully ignorant. As you demonstrate with every post.

No, I won't.

My point stands.

I don't WANT Americans to have to torture their children the way the freaking Japanese do in order for them to have a shot at getting into a top college.

Japanese kids are pressured by their culture. They are in no way tortured. That is simply an asinine statement.

That is true. The UK youth has grown up with an entitlement mentality and they are paying the price for that. The elite go to schools that demand they work hard to graduate while the peasants get to go to the schools that make them feel good and then they go on the dole or get some other job that pays moderate wages. The wealthy though, who work their asses off. They make good money and the disaffected youth whine about it.

Typical.

Got anything to support that?

Typical.

Got anything to support that?

Loads. Google is your friend.

No, I won't.....

Why won't you answer the questions? Afraid to demonstrate that you are talking out your ass?

YOur questioning presupposes that direct observation is the only valid way to form an opinion.

Which is obvious nonsense.

No, I won't.....

YOur questioning presupposes that direct observation is the only valid way to form an opinion.

Reality as opposed to empty stereotyping is hardly nonsense. So, you admit you have to answer "no" to the questions?

No, I won't.

My point stands.

Japanese kids are pressured by their culture. They are in no way tortured. That is simply an asinine statement.

Sufficient Pressure can be considered torture.

It is asinine to pretend otherwise.

No, I won't.....

Reality as opposed to empty stereotyping is hardly nonsense. So, you admit you have to answer "no" to the questions?

Logical Fallacy of False Dilemma.

It is absurd to pretend that lack of direct personal experience equates to "empty stereotyping".

Let's try this again:

Have you ever set foot inside a school in Japan? Have you ever gotten to know a Japanese family? Ever seen one of these supposedly tortured children?

No, I won't.....

Logical Fallacy of False Dilemma. It is absurd to pretend that lack of direct personal experience equates to "empty stereotyping".
Really? Be specific. And look up the definitions of the fallacy.

Let's try this again:

No.

I have read interesting academic studies on the impact of Asian populations on academic "competition" in upper class American communities.

It did not seem like healthy or productive competition to me.

It seemed much more like unnecessary and counterproductive pressure.

Forum List

Back