🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mike Rowe has AWESOME Response for Liberal Who is Tired of His Talk About “Work Ethic”

I wonder why the OP didn't tell the whole story of what Mike Rowe wrote?

It is very telling that one must parse what is written by their source to spin it one way or the other; is it not? For the record...

Hi Craig, and Happy Sunday!

Everyday on the news, liberal pundits and politicians portray the wealthy as greedy, while conservative pundits and politicians portray the poor as lazy. Democrats have become so good at denouncing greed, Republicans now defend it. And Republicans are so good at condemning laziness, Democrats are now denying it even exists. It's a never ending dance that gets more contorted by the day.

A few weeks ago in Georgetown, President Obama accused Fox News of “perpetuating a false narrative” by consistently calling poor people “lazy.” Fox News denied the President’s accusation, claiming to have only criticized policies, not people. Unfortunately for Fox, The Daily Show has apparently gained access to the Internet, and after a ten-second google-search and a few minutes in the edit bay, John Stewart was on the air with a devastating montage of Fox personnel referring to the unemployed as “sponges,” “leeches,” “freeloaders,” and “mooches.

What I've found from many here is if the source material does not say what you wanted to say, you simply ignore part of it or simply make up what was said. During the 3rd Presidential debate, Obama said "We have fewer bayonets and horses). Emphasis on the word "fewer"

Here is the fox news transcript so those on the right believe it happened:
TRANSCRIPT Presidential debate on foreign policy at Lynn University Fox News

Yet look at the response here:
Don't marines still use bayonets?!??
Claiming we don't use horses and bayonettes is untrue. Fact Check checked this.
I thought it was funny Obama said our Military does not use Bayonets anymore.

I could pull similar quotes all day long that intentionally mis-state what was said by our President.

It would be a good lesson for the RIght wing to learn--that voters and observers are not as dumb as you seem to think they are and when you try to pull nonsense like this, it will blow up in your face.

Anyway back to Rowe. Mike continues on:

I started mikeroweWORKS to talk about these issues, and shine a light on a few million good jobs that no one seems excited about. But mostly, I wanted to remind people that real opportunity still exists for those individuals who are willing to work hard, learn a skill, and make a persuasive case for themselves. Sadly, you see my efforts as “right wing propaganda.” But why? Are our differences really political? Or is it something deeper? Something philosophical?

You wrote that, “people want to work.” In my travels, I’ve met a lot of hard-working individuals, and I’ve been singing their praises for the last 12 years. But I’ve seen nothing that would lead me to agree with your generalization. From what I’ve seen of the species, and what I know of myself, most people - given the choice - would prefer NOT to work. In fact, on Dirty Jobs, I saw Help Wanted signs in every state, even at the height of the recession. Is it possible you see the existence of so many unfilled jobs as a challenge to your basic understanding of what makes people tick?

Last week at a policy conference in Mackinac, I talked to several hiring managers from a few of the largest companies in Michigan. They all told me the same thing - the biggest under reported challenge in finding good help, (aside from the inability to “piss clean,”) is an overwhelming lack of “soft skills.” That’s a polite way of saying that many applicants don’t tuck their shirts in, or pull their pants up, or look you in the eye, or say things like “please” and “thank you.” This is not a Michigan problem - this is a national crisis. We’re churning out a generation of poorly educated people with no skill, no ambition, no guidance, and no realistic expectations of what it means to go to work.

I generally agree with Rowe. As I stated before, we had a few transporters who failed drug tests and were dismissed immediately and nurses were asked to transport patients. You'd have thought we had asked them to donate body parts.

On his second point, I'll take a bit of exception. Saying "please", "thank you", and having manners is important. I don't think physical appearance is as important as Rowe would have us believe. The clientele no longer looks like Richie Cunningham so it's not as important that your employees do. But a lack of courtesy and manners is probably among the biggest problems we have in the nation that nobody is talking about. Just to stress, I don't think he is wrong about it; I just don't believe it is as important as he thinks it is.

It was a good non-partisan piece by Rowe that was immediately bastardized into some sort of hit-piece by the OP.

Why do you find it necessary to shade the source material?

For your information little girl posting rules don't allow you the post complete articles. I posted an excerpt in hopes of getting people to go to the link and read it. It appears you are one of the few that actually did. Goody on you.

No, you posted a snippet and tried to spin the words of Mike Rowe. You did it. You know you did. You know why you did it. Stop lying.

Who the fuck are you talking to? Who here has said that working hard, learning a skill and making a case for yourself are 'right wing propaganda'?

Who are 'you people'? I work my ass off. Most of the 'lefties' that I know work their asses off. Who is trash talking the efficacy of work? Some random person that Mike Rowe chose to respond to?

According to many lefties there are no good paying jobs available, he pointed to that as the lie it is. The little entitled folks think those jobs are beneath them, if you bothered to actually read the article, he talked to employers who said, applicants who can pass the drug test, lack the basic soft skills to get and keep a job. That's a problem with the culture, not business.
You don't even make sense. We know Republicans hate education. Look at Rick Santorum. When Obama said we need to make education available to everyone, Santorum called Obama a "snob". He said there are millions of hard working Americans who have never been indoctrinated by liberal college professors to a cheering crowd of ignorant Republicans. It's Republicans who have no skills. The ignorant base has bought into the propaganda of their fucked up leaders. It's why business wants immigrants with degrees because Republicans are not capable of competing. The GOP base is losing their jobs to unskilled labor overseas and robots, all put together by the very corporations they worship as "Gods" even referring to them as the job "CREATORS", where from all good flows. No one is screwing over the GOP base more than the leaders they idolize. And they do it for two reasons. First, they "vote white". Second, they hate Obama because he isn't white. Until they deny their racism, which is the foundation of that odious party, they are so fucked.

And obama shut down the scholarship program for poor kids in D.C.....the Republicans fight for actual education reform...what you morons fight for is more money to be passed through your democrat unions to your democrat politicians while the children in this country get a failing education system...graduating only 50% of a high school class is not fighting for eductation....graduating kids who can't read, right or do math is not fighting for education...but that is what you morons protect.....our kids can't compete because you idiots control the education system and poor, angry, hopeless people are good democrat voters....you have voter turn out factories, not schools.....

30 of 50 State houses have a Republican sitting in them.
30 of 50 States have GOP appointees to the State Boards of Education
30 of 50 States have (assumingly) a majority of school district boards that reflect the wishes of the elctorate.

Liberals do not control education unless, somehow, 30 GOP governors are liberals.

When will the GOP take responsibility for it's actions?

Oh around the same time the Dems take responsibility for theirs.

Please go on. Try to speak in specifics for once.

It is very telling that one must parse what is written by their source to spin it one way or the other; is it not? For the record...

Everyday on the news, liberal pundits and politicians portray the wealthy as greedy, while conservative pundits and politicians portray the poor as lazy. Democrats have become so good at denouncing greed, Republicans now defend it. And Republicans are so good at condemning laziness, Democrats are now denying it even exists. It's a never ending dance that gets more contorted by the day.

A few weeks ago in Georgetown, President Obama accused Fox News of “perpetuating a false narrative” by consistently calling poor people “lazy.” Fox News denied the President’s accusation, claiming to have only criticized policies, not people. Unfortunately for Fox, The Daily Show has apparently gained access to the Internet, and after a ten-second google-search and a few minutes in the edit bay, John Stewart was on the air with a devastating montage of Fox personnel referring to the unemployed as “sponges,” “leeches,” “freeloaders,” and “mooches.

What I've found from many here is if the source material does not say what you wanted to say, you simply ignore part of it or simply make up what was said. During the 3rd Presidential debate, Obama said "We have fewer bayonets and horses). Emphasis on the word "fewer"

I could pull similar quotes all day long that intentionally mis-state what was said by our President.

It would be a good lesson for the RIght wing to learn--that voters and observers are not as dumb as you seem to think they are and when you try to pull nonsense like this, it will blow up in your face.

I started mikeroweWORKS to talk about these issues, and shine a light on a few million good jobs that no one seems excited about. But mostly, I wanted to remind people that real opportunity still exists for those individuals who are willing to work hard, learn a skill, and make a persuasive case for themselves. Sadly, you see my efforts as “right wing propaganda.” But why? Are our differences really political? Or is it something deeper? Something philosophical?

You wrote that, “people want to work.” In my travels, I’ve met a lot of hard-working individuals, and I’ve been singing their praises for the last 12 years. But I’ve seen nothing that would lead me to agree with your generalization. From what I’ve seen of the species, and what I know of myself, most people - given the choice - would prefer NOT to work. In fact, on Dirty Jobs, I saw Help Wanted signs in every state, even at the height of the recession. Is it possible you see the existence of so many unfilled jobs as a challenge to your basic understanding of what makes people tick?

Last week at a policy conference in Mackinac, I talked to several hiring managers from a few of the largest companies in Michigan. They all told me the same thing - the biggest under reported challenge in finding good help, (aside from the inability to “piss clean,”) is an overwhelming lack of “soft skills.” That’s a polite way of saying that many applicants don’t tuck their shirts in, or pull their pants up, or look you in the eye, or say things like “please” and “thank you.” This is not a Michigan problem - this is a national crisis. We’re churning out a generation of poorly educated people with no skill, no ambition, no guidance, and no realistic expectations of what it means to go to work.

I generally agree with Rowe. As I stated before, we had a few transporters who failed drug tests and were dismissed immediately and nurses were asked to transport patients. You'd have thought we had asked them to donate body parts.

On his second point, I'll take a bit of exception. Saying "please", "thank you", and having manners is important. I don't think physical appearance is as important as Rowe would have us believe. The clientele no longer looks like Richie Cunningham so it's not as important that your employees do. But a lack of courtesy and manners is probably among the biggest problems we have in the nation that nobody is talking about. Just to stress, I don't think he is wrong about it; I just don't believe it is as important as he thinks it is.

It was a good non-partisan piece by Rowe that was immediately bastardized into some sort of hit-piece by the OP.

For your information little girl posting rules don't allow you the post complete articles. I posted an excerpt in hopes of getting people to go to the link and read it. It appears you are one of the few that actually did. Goody on you.

No, you posted a snippet and tried to spin the words of Mike Rowe. You did it. You know you did. You know why you did it. Stop lying.

Really, this is exactly what I said in the OP:

This guy has it totally right, too bad for the apologist on the left.
If you're a lefty read the complete article, you might learn something. Here's a taste, the rest at the link.

Feel free to point out the spin.

If you're a lefty read the complete article, you might learn something. Here's a taste, the rest at the link.

Yeah, well you apparently forgot to read the part where he called Fox and right wing losers like you out for calling people lazy.

Yeah, well you apparently forgot to read the part where he called Fox and right wing losers like you out for calling people lazy.
Why did you make up a post about Marines & assign it to me? That is not my post & I should not be getting notifications based on you creating it out of thin air.

Fucking hack

Edit: Ahh now I see, your pulling old ass quotes from other threads & inserting them into this one as if they're somehow relevant to the thread at hand.

Still a hack

Forgot, no, I posted a link to it and I read the complete article before I did. If people are too lazy to read the link, well, that's beyond my control. That's not spin, care to try again?

Why did you make up a post about Marines & assign it to me? That is not my post & I should not be getting notifications based on you creating it out of thin air.

Fucking hack

Feel free to click on the arrow next to your name and you can see where you said it on 10/22/12.
I don't need to make you look stupid; you're good enough at that on your own.

Do you guys realize how hilarious this is? This plant expects to open with "trained" employees. Let's take a look at where they expect those employees to come from, shall we?

Among the incentives offered to bring the Swedish automaker to Berkeley County was training through South Carolina's technical colleges for the plant's expected 4,000 workers.

Haley SC workforce won Volvo The State The State

Hmmm, education in SC. Let's review that, shall we?

A Center on Budget and Policy Priorities study found that South Carolina was one of seven states that had cut per-pupil spending by more than 15 percent between 2008 and 2014. Not coincidentally, all seven of those education budget slashing states were under Republican control during most of that time period. Joining South Carolina in savagely cutting education spending between 2008 and 2014, were fellow Republican run states Alabama, Arizona, Idaho, Kansas, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.

Big Win For South Carolina Teachers As Stephen Colbert Funds 800K Worth Of Grant Requests

PublicCollege-webtable.png

Notice the "all colleges"? The GOP isn't just attacking blacks.

Effects of State Higher Education Cuts on Communities of Color Center for American Progress

Somehow, Republicans have convinced the GOP base that education isn't "hard work", but it's more like Animal House. Just fun, sex, drugs and drinking. Immigrants know better. You can bet that even though Volvo may set up a plant in South Carolina, the locals who manage to get jobs will have bosses with names like Mr. Martinez and Mr. Salvator.

Who the fuck are you talking to? Who here has said that working hard, learning a skill and making a case for yourself are 'right wing propaganda'?

Who are 'you people'? I work my ass off. Most of the 'lefties' that I know work their asses off. Who is trash talking the efficacy of work? Some random person that Mike Rowe chose to respond to?

According to many lefties there are no good paying jobs available, he pointed to that as the lie it is. The little entitled folks think those jobs are beneath them, if you bothered to actually read the article, he talked to employers who said, applicants who can pass the drug test, lack the basic soft skills to get and keep a job. That's a problem with the culture, not business.
You don't even make sense. We know Republicans hate education. Look at Rick Santorum. When Obama said we need to make education available to everyone, Santorum called Obama a "snob". He said there are millions of hard working Americans who have never been indoctrinated by liberal college professors to a cheering crowd of ignorant Republicans. It's Republicans who have no skills. The ignorant base has bought into the propaganda of their fucked up leaders. It's why business wants immigrants with degrees because Republicans are not capable of competing. The GOP base is losing their jobs to unskilled labor overseas and robots, all put together by the very corporations they worship as "Gods" even referring to them as the job "CREATORS", where from all good flows. No one is screwing over the GOP base more than the leaders they idolize. And they do it for two reasons. First, they "vote white". Second, they hate Obama because he isn't white. Until they deny their racism, which is the foundation of that odious party, they are so fucked.

And obama shut down the scholarship program for poor kids in D.C.....the Republicans fight for actual education reform...what you morons fight for is more money to be passed through your democrat unions to your democrat politicians while the children in this country get a failing education system...graduating only 50% of a high school class is not fighting for eductation....graduating kids who can't read, right or do math is not fighting for education...but that is what you morons protect.....our kids can't compete because you idiots control the education system and poor, angry, hopeless people are good democrat voters....you have voter turn out factories, not schools.....

30 of 50 States have (assumingly) a majority of school district boards that reflect the wishes of the elctorate.

Liberals do not control education unless, somehow, 30 GOP governors are liberals.

they sure as hell dont run it in my state.....and in the 70's Cal was in the top 5.....now bottom 10......:dunno:

Democrats say, Republicans do.

Sick and dying Liberals will pull out any stop to push their agenda to the last breath.

Breath your best, my man. Your last was exhaled years ago. :slap:
Give examples of "their agenda". Be specific.

they sure as hell dont run it in my state.....and in the 70's Cal was in the top 5.....now bottom 10......:dunno:
Bottom 10 of what? Be specific.

fuck off dean....your games are getting old.....i have put up link after link on this and because you cant except that democrats can fuck things up too,you play your "huh" games.....try this on the new people who dont know you....like i have said before....you aint fooling those who do know you.....

Democrats say, Republicans do.

Sick and dying Liberals will pull out any stop to push their agenda to the last breath.

Breath your best, my man. Your last was exhaled years ago. :slap:
Give examples of "their agenda". Be specific.
Usurping the Constitution, for starters. :slap:

PS- I don't really remember typing that. :beer:

education IS available to anyone.

The point is that not everyone needs a Bullshit BS in underwater basket weaving (Gender studies, women's studies, etc)

Well, by "available", conservatives mean "You can go buy it". Leftists mean "someone will give it to you".

Oh, and it's even worse for minority kids. Public schools in primarily black neighborhoods put out graduates with diplomas who are only educated to maybe a 7th grade level, and then Democrats teach them to think that if they can't compete with people who received an actual 12th grade education, it's "racism". And when black parents twig to the fact that the public schools are failing their children in job lots and want to be able to send them elsewhere, the way that rich Democrats do, the leftists scream, "We can't abandon the public schools!" Well, why in the hell not?! I'd abandon a husband who was screwing me over as badly as the public schools are screwing over black kids. I'd abandon an employer who treated me like that. I'd abandon anyone who cheated me out of that big a chunk of what they promised me.

fuck off dean....your games are getting old.....i have put up link after link on this and because you cant except that democrats can fuck things up too,you play your "huh" games.....try this on the new people who dont know you....like i have said before....you aint fooling those who do know you.....
You are a lying shit and you know it. You post links? Really? Or should I say "RARELY"? You post very few links and you know it. You only need to go through your old posts to know that for a fact. Every opinion you have is given to you. Most everything you post is unbelievably juvenile. Do you ever back up anything with facts or substance. You love to call liar but I can't remember you ever actually proving a lie. You are only angry because I ignore you. You are the one playing games because you are a legend in your own mind who believes his bullshit is somehow relevant. Ignorance is never relevant. I would never try to fool you because you are already a fool. You did that on your own. If you had some relevancy, others would spend a moment to agree with me, but you don't matter enough to bother paying the slightest bit of attention. Feel lucky you were noticed for a brief moment.

Forgot, no, I posted a link to it and I read the complete article before I did. If people are too lazy to read the link, well, that's beyond my control. That's not spin, care to try again?
if all men talked like Mike Rowe, we would never have a problem getting a date. I am so jealous i dont have that voice!

If you guys get a chance, you should hear his podcast he did with Adam Carolla. Very good information on there about him, his initiatives and Carolla is so much on the same page; the two could be a real political force if they wanted to be.

if all men talked like Mike Rowe, we would never have a problem getting a date. I am so jealous i dont have that voice!

If you guys get a chance, you should hear his podcast he did with Adam Carolla. Very good information on there about him, his initiatives and Carolla is so much on the same page; the two could be a real political force if they wanted to be.
most people probably dont know that he sings that grinch song to a T. he sang in on the glenn beck show.

No the biggest flaw in the system is folks thinking they can enter the main stream work force with massive tattoos, piercings, pants around your knees and pink or purple hair.Also like he said in the article they are telling kids to get an education, go in debt, for jobs that really don't exist in large numbers anymore. Also this notion that any job is beneath anyone is a fable that needs busting. I worked some really crappy, nasty jobs in my life, but I never got one day of unemployment because I was raised with the ethic of if you need work, you take what you can get until something better comes along. People aren't raising their kids that way now.

What's your point? My top Engineer is 29, has three Masters Degrees AND a PhD. He also has tats, piercings, and hair that changes color weekly. Perhaps you need to climb out of your cave and listen as well as look at people.

Forum List

Back