Minced Meat

Getting good back to pie...I think mincemeat did originally have meat, usually game in it.
I think my mother mentioned something about that.

I've never had it prepared with meat, not sure you can buy it that way any more?
I don't think you can, I just think it used to be that way. If it was made with real meat at any point for me, I never noticed.

Do you ever make Shepherd's pie?

If so does it have meat in it?

Getting good back to pie...I think mincemeat did originally have meat, usually game in it.

I've never had it prepared with meat, not sure you can buy it that way any more?
I don't think you can, I just think it used to be that way. If it was made with real meat at any point for me, I never noticed.

I have not. What's Shephard's pie?

Wiki sez:
Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato.

This recipe found at random uses taters, veggies, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and lamb with rosemary. Looks pretty scrumptious.

I've seen it with and without meat.

Actually that thing looks like a lotta work. Jeff Davis Pie might be easier.

Wiki sez:

This recipe found at random uses taters, veggies, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and lamb with rosemary. Looks pretty scrumptious.

Sounds more like a supper than a dessert. I prefer sweet things, really~

What's Jeff Davis Pie?

Wiki sez:

What's Jeff Davis Pie?

How can you live in the South and not know Jeff Davis Pie? Yew take yew a chunk o' Jeff Davis, throw it into a crust and bake. :eusa_shifty:

Jeff Davis Pie -- it is sweet, and creamy and rich.

Yew just let me know when you move on to Hummingbird Cake. That's mah favrit.

Wiki sez:

What's Jeff Davis Pie?

How can you live in the South and not know Jeff Davis Pie? Yew take yew a chunk o' Jeff Davis, throw it into a crust and bake. :eusa_shifty:

Jeff Davis Pie -- it is sweet, and creamy and rich.

Yew just let me know when you move on to Hummingbird Cake. That's mah favrit.
I think I'll go ahead and make that tomorrow~

Annnd I'll look up Hummingbird cake.

My family has always made a version of shepherds pie as well as goulash. My grandmother used to make it and all her children and grandkids made it. The variation with the shepherds pie was the mashed potato topping was biscuit dough. Yes, it has meat inside along with veggies. it's like a beef stew. We use a lot of onions too. It's very good with the bread topping. I've had it once with the mashed potatoes (traditional) and it was okay, just not what I grew up with.

My mom's goulash was always meat and potatoes, not macaroni noodles. She always made it with cornbread and it was one of my favorite dishes... still is. Basically it's ground beef, tomatoes (and tomato sauce) and potatoes... real simple recipe. The first time I had traditional goulash I was an adult and it was disappointing. It was like Beefaroni soup.

My family has always made a version of shepherds pie as well as goulash. My grandmother used to make it and all her children and grandkids made it. The variation with the shepherds pie was the mashed potato topping was biscuit dough. Yes, it has meat inside along with veggies. it's like a beef stew. We use a lot of onions too. It's very good with the bread topping. I've had it once with the mashed potatoes (traditional) and it was okay, just not what I grew up with.

My mom's goulash was always meat and potatoes, not macaroni noodles. She always made it with cornbread and it was one of my favorite dishes... still is. Basically it's ground beef, tomatoes (and tomato sauce) and potatoes... real simple recipe. The first time I had traditional goulash I was an adult and it was disappointing. It was like Beefaroni soup.
It is disappointing to see your disappointment with goulash. It originated from the goulash (cowboy) who went on the grazing fields for weeks. The wife or mother of he household made a big batch of stew and dried it. The goulash took the dried meat with him and took potatoes and onions (they were not perishable) He had his camp fire and all he had to do is to fry some bacon (not perishable also) in the bogracs (a dish hung over the fire) put some water and potatoes with the meat and had his dinner. That's all there is to it. The horse and pig herders had different names of "profession" but I bet they had the same meals in principle.

It is disappointing to see your disappointment with goulash. It originated from the goulash (cowboy) who went on the grazing fields for weeks. The wife or mother of he household made a big batch of stew and dried it. The goulash took the dried meat with him and took potatoes and onions (they were not perishable) He had his camp fire and all he had to do is to fry some bacon (not perishable also) in the bogracs (a dish hung over the fire) put some water and potatoes with the meat and had his dinner. That's all there is to it. The horse and pig herders had different names of "profession" but I bet they had the same meals in principle.

It dates back to the 9th century, I think. It's old.
"slumgullion" is what some people call it in America.

My granny was from the depression era and they never wasted food. So their solution was often a goulash that might have all kinds of things in it. The main things were meat and potatoes and tomato sauce. She used deer meat sometimes, I remember that.

My granny was from the depression era and they never wasted food. So their solution was often a goulash that might have all kinds of things in it. The main things were meat and potatoes and tomato sauce. She used deer meat sometimes, I remember that.
Yes, potatoes came after the "discovery" of America. There were no tomatoes used but paprika (also after the "discovery of the New World"}

Are you Hungarian?

It is disappointing to see your disappointment with goulash

I was just disappointed in what I tried. It was full of elbow macaroni noodles like Beefaroni. Growing up, ours ALWAYS had potatoes. I was disappointed as to what was passed off as "authentic" or "traditional" goulash at an actual Hungarian restaurant, no less.

I doubt those 9th century cowboys were putting elbow macaroni in their goulash. ;)

So, I was at the store with my mother, and she allowed me to see if they have minced meat, so I can make Minced Meat Pie. For those who don't know, Minced Meat is a mixture of raisins, apple, brandy, and rum. I asked three different employees... one took me to the meat section, looking through the cans, and asking if each one was what I made pie with... none of them even knew what it was.

Does anyone else have trouble finding this ingredient?

I think you just go buy a steak and beat it down with one of those funny looking hammers

Forum List

Back