Minimum Wage poll

Ideally, what percentage of workers should be working for the minimum wage?

• 0% - no minimum wage

• 10%

• 20%

• 30%

• 40%

• 50%

• 60%

• 70%

• 80%

• 90%

• 100% - everyone gets the same income.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I strongly suggest that you take a econ 101 class at your local junior college. Labor is a major part of the cost of everything we buy, if wages go up the price of everything we buy has to go up by the same %, otherwise the company goes out of business because the cost of production exceeds the revenue from sales. When everything goes up we have inflation where each dollar is now worth less. Nothing is gained by anyone, you just have more dollars going through your hands, in and out.

I think the theory is that the greedy business owners will simply reduce their profits to cover the raises. Maybe they weren't thinking about the "greedy" part. :dunno:

if survival is greedy, then I guess we are all greedy.
lol. We have the Expense of Government.

In any system, there will be people who are an excellent and natural fit and will flourish, while others will not. Capitalism is an example.

In a perfect capitalist world, there would be no need for a minimum wage. But this is certainly not a perfect world, nor is it close.

A strong safety net is good social insurance against electoral revolution. It isn't ideal, but it's worth the price in the long run.

I strongly suggest that you take a econ 101 class at your local junior college. Labor is a major part of the cost of everything we buy, if wages go up the price of everything we buy has to go up by the same %, otherwise the company goes out of business because the cost of production exceeds the revenue from sales. When everything goes up we have inflation where each dollar is now worth less. Nothing is gained by anyone, you just have more dollars going through your hands, in and out.

I think the theory is that the greedy business owners will simply reduce their profits to cover the raises. Maybe they weren't thinking about the "greedy" part. :dunno:

That's what people don't understand. You can tax a business more, force them into programs like Commie Care, create more costly regulations, but in the end, it's the little guy who pays for all of it.
Compensation for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment is a known automatic stablizer.

In any system, there will be people who are an excellent and natural fit and will flourish, while others will not. Capitalism is an example.

In a perfect capitalist world, there would be no need for a minimum wage. But this is certainly not a perfect world, nor is it close.

A strong safety net is good social insurance against electoral revolution. It isn't ideal, but it's worth the price in the long run.

What does minimum wage have to do with a safety net?

That's what people don't understand. You can tax a business more, force them into programs like Commie Care, create more costly regulations, but in the end, it's the little guy who pays for all of it.

I think it's fair to say it would be spread out to some extent. The additional labor costs will be absorbed through some combination of higher prices, layoffs and lower profits.
in the short run. in the long run, higher paid labor pays more in taxes and creates more in demand. Capitalism has a Natural rate of unemployment. Everybody knows this. Only the right wing is so specially dramatic about it.

an institutional upward pressure on wages.

Compensation for capitalism's Natural rate of unemployment is the actual social safety net.

It depends on your definition of "safety net".

Mine includes a certain standard of living while working full time.

Yeah. We've all got our 'standards'. Why do you feel justified in forcing yours on others?

I read that currently 2.7% of US workers are paid minimum wage. Elsewhere I read that 42% of US workers make $15/hr or less. So, if we raised minimum wage to $15/hr, we'd have 42% of US workers working for minimum wage. Which left me wonder what reformers see as the ideal percentage.

That percentage would drastically decrease from 42% back down to single digits.

What the Uninformed Voter doesn't understand is you can't increase wages on just one group of people. If you try to do that, it creates a domino effect.

The $8.00 an hour worker may be making $15.00 after a law is passed, but the $15.00 worker will be making $22.00 or more after it's passed.

It wouldn't help the poor and the new minimum wage would only be a livable wage for about a year or so until everybody else catches up. The only real change would be more investments in automation by companies, and more jobs leaving the US.

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

I don't remember getting a $5 dollar raise the last time the national minimum wage was raised .

You smoking crack they might get 50 cents but $10 bucks more an hour?

You're nuts

You're right just because minimum wage goes doesn't mean everyone that is already making or above that amount will receive a raise. My wife hasn't every received a raise when minimum went up since she's always been a few dollar's higher. When I worked hourly many, many years ago I did not either. So that is just a fallacy.

16 year old children should never make a wage which allows them to make rent on a condo, cover a car payment, groceries, utilities...etc.
Let’s see if you can connect the dots.

Yeah. We've all got our 'standards'. Why do you feel justified in forcing yours on others?
I'm just pointing out the obvious.

If you like the every-man-for-himself approach, great. We'll see how that plays out electorally over time. I have my guesses on that.

That's my point.

Out of total ignorance I selected 20%. First off by "workers", I took that to include teenagers in school working part-time. On top of that I have no idea what percentage of the workforce is comprised of these kids. So that 20% of mine is pretty much a shot in the dark.

If you like the every-man-for-himself approach, great. We'll see how that plays out electorally over time. I have my guesses on that.

That's my point.

So, you're pointing out that the mob will disagree with me? Of that I have no doubt! :)

That's my point.

Flood the nation with low iQ, disgusting wetbacks and you’re certain as to where things are headed huh? It’s a perfect plan for you beggars...right?

That percentage would drastically decrease from 42% back down to single digits.

What the Uninformed Voter doesn't understand is you can't increase wages on just one group of people. If you try to do that, it creates a domino effect.

The $8.00 an hour worker may be making $15.00 after a law is passed, but the $15.00 worker will be making $22.00 or more after it's passed.

It wouldn't help the poor and the new minimum wage would only be a livable wage for about a year or so until everybody else catches up. The only real change would be more investments in automation by companies, and more jobs leaving the US.

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

I don't remember getting a $5 dollar raise the last time the national minimum wage was raised .

You smoking crack they might get 50 cents but $10 bucks more an hour?

You're nuts

So let's say I have a job that requires some training and experience. I've been with my company for about five years and worked my way up to $15.00 from $10.00 an hour. Now minimum wage gets set to $15.00 per hour. Do you think after my experience, training and time with my company, I'm going to now be working for minimum wage when prior, I was working for seven dollars more than minimum?

If minimum wage goes up a quarter or even fifty cents, it won't have that kind of impact. But if you double the minimum wage, it will.

You are dreaming in some fantasy land if they could afford to pay them $22 an hour now they would.

You are going to get soaked if you make $15 an hour now...you will make minimum wage.

The company will raise what it will charge to the consumer, I don’t see businesses raising the pay rate that much however it will have a ripple effect.

That's my point.

So, you're pointing out that the mob will disagree with me? Of that I have no doubt! :)
Well, you'll have to find a way to change their minds, or this is all moot.

That's my point.

Flood the nation with low iQ, disgusting wetbacks and you’re certain as to where things are headed huh? It’s a perfect plan for you beggars...right?

No, no, no - this thread is not about your xenophobic, racist, horseshit. Go hide behind your wall.

That's my point.

Well, you'll have to find a way to change their minds, or this is all moot.

It can happen. After 2016, I'm convinced pretty much anything can happen. Sometimes people get it. Sometimes they don't.

That's my point.

You're terrified of what's coming, and you don't have the capacity to do anything about it.

Too bad.

Forum List

Back