Minnesota cafe add minimum wage surcharge

You've missing the point. Today minimum wage won't even support one person.

It was never supposed to support anyone...if you are a teenager in high school living at home...that is what the minimum wage was supposed to be for...but of course, that is the individual who it hurts the most, by wrecking the chances that teenagers can find those all important first jobs, why...because why pay a lazy teenager 8 dollars an hour when you can get the unemployed family man who knows how to work...unemployed because the democrats have driven out the businesses in the cities and states where they have power.

Why isn't anyone pointing out that one of the liberal paradises...Sweden...? Doesn't have a minimum wage...

Wasn't it Reagan who enacted the free trade agreement?

Yeah it's nice to be able to buy cheap stuff from overseas, but, it puts American business out of business, ask Detroit about that.

The increase in immigrants, especially illegal immigrants also helps to keep our wages artificially low and our unemployment artificially high.

This makes me :lol:

Everyone wants to pay people more...until they personally have to SEE that it is they who are paying for it.

If the cafe HIDES the increase...that's A-OK...but do it out in the open and they are outraged.

Hysterical.

The minimum wage there has not been raised in ten years, and businesses complain when they finally do increase the minimum. Probably the first raise any of those workers have seen in ten years.

:lol:

how much do you pay a server and still be able to afford to have them?

and who the fuck would be server for 10 years?

A lot of people. My friend has been a maid for over 30 years. She's making $10.00 and hour and has to do more rooms per hour than my sister did when she was a maid 40 years ago. You ever wonder why the hotel rooms are as clean as they once were, or the maids cut corners? It's because more is demanded of them for less.

This makes me :lol:

Everyone wants to pay people more...until they personally have to SEE that it is they who are paying for it.

If the cafe HIDES the increase...that's A-OK...but do it out in the open and they are outraged.

Hysterical.

Again, no one is outraged. Everyone that I saw interviewed was okay with the charge, even the guy who didn't know it was there. My only complaint is that the charge should be listed BEFORE you order. If it's in the price on the menu, then you know what you will be paying, but when it's added later, it increases your bill unexpectedly.

Lots of people in this thread are outraged, and my link actually included people who went on the record with their outrage. You should stop pretending that the video you saw is the whole story.

I can clearly see in this thread that you are right, some people ARE outraged. Again, the only way I would be outraged is if they suddenly presented me with the charge AFTER I've ordered.

It will if you don't live above your means. You will be screwed if your car breaks down, or your washing machine or stove or something, but it is possible to raise a family on minimum wage.

I don't know where you live, but around here, to rent an apartment is $1,000 a month MINIMUM. That's just the apartment, that's not utilities, transportation, food, etc. and it's a one bedroom. More for a 2 bedroom. So no, you can't possibly raise a family on minimum wage, you can't even support yourself.

I know where you can get a two bedroom apartment, utilities paid, for about half of that price. Your problem is that you live in a high cost of living area, probably because you are a liberal that hates poor people to be anywhere around you, but loves to pretend to care about them by supporting policies that you think help but actually make it harder for them to live.

Did anyone really expect the cost of the higher minimum wage would not be passed on to the customer?
The only thing here is the restaurant just made it a surcharge as opposed to just incorporating it into the cost.

And I cannot find anything which says he is upfront about that cost. Again, I have no problem with it as long as people know about it BEFORE they order. I do think he is being a jerk though. I hate all these a la carte things. The airlines charge extra for bags, food, etc. All to make it look like your ticket is cheaper when it's not.

He probably isn't upfront about the taxes either, do you have a fucking point, or do you just think people are required to advertise things that the government forces on them?

Yes, I think people who charge a fee should be up front about that fee. Do you think it should be only added when the check is added up? You know taxes are going to be added, but some people are price conscious and can't afford the extra .35. Imagine a single mom taking her kids out for a treat. One who makes minimum wage. 35 cents is a hell of a lot of money for her to suddenly be charged with no warning.

Of course everyone knew about the extra cost because they voted for the greedy politicians who increased the minimum wage. The people did know about it...their politicians are the ones who increased it...

and it is the mandatory minimum wage...all the other businesses, including all the other restaurants have raised their prices as we'll...this guy is smart enough to show the dumb people what their votes actually cost...the other businesses should do the same...

If you are making only making minimum wage...you should not be having a family...you should be,responsible and wait till you have a job that will actually support a family.

I actually know people in a single earner household that make minimum wage and manage to get by. The secret is not living in a city that forces poor people to beg for help.

link? or it didn't happen.

Does anybody seriously believe this?

It will if you don't live above your means. You will be screwed if your car breaks down, or your washing machine or stove or something, but it is possible to raise a family on minimum wage.

I don't know where you live, but around here, to rent an apartment is $1,000 a month MINIMUM. That's just the apartment, that's not utilities, transportation, food, etc. and it's a one bedroom. More for a 2 bedroom. So no, you can't possibly raise a family on minimum wage, you can't even support yourself.

I know where you can get a two bedroom apartment, utilities paid, for about half of that price. Your problem is that you live in a high cost of living area, probably because you are a liberal that hates poor people to be anywhere around you, but loves to pretend to care about them by supporting policies that you think help but actually make it harder for them to live.

I have taken in 3 homeless young men. Two of them for two years. Two of them never paid a dime in rent. I give out lunches to the needy every Monday. I know many homeless people personally. I do live in a high cost living area, hey, one out of three isn't bad.

And I cannot find anything which says he is upfront about that cost. Again, I have no problem with it as long as people know about it BEFORE they order. I do think he is being a jerk though. I hate all these a la carte things. The airlines charge extra for bags, food, etc. All to make it look like your ticket is cheaper when it's not.

He probably isn't upfront about the taxes either, do you have a fucking point, or do you just think people are required to advertise things that the government forces on them?

Yes, I think people who charge a fee should be up front about that fee. Do you think it should be only added when the check is added up? You know taxes are going to be added, but some people are price conscious and can't afford the extra .35. Imagine a single mom taking her kids out for a treat. One who makes minimum wage. 35 cents is a hell of a lot of money for her to suddenly be charged with no warning.

So, the government should be upfront about taxes, and require all businesses they force to collect them post them as part of the price of the item?

Didn't thinks so.

By having to pay his employees more, he's no longer able to pay them as much as he was. Now he has to offset the added expenditure by charging customers more to make up for the hit he's taking thanks to the passed legislature. This is what happens when you increase minimum wage. Expenses rise to make up for it.

Whether you are a liberal or a conservative, imagine what will happen if the minimum wage of all food service employees rose to $15 per hour. Just imagine the ramifications, please.

Okay, does anybody understand the above bolded sentence?

In SeaTac the minimum wage was raised to $15.00 an hour. So far the only consequence is a few servers are upset they aren't getting tips anymore.

Sheila, basically he's not able to pay his workers what he was once able to pay them. The thought occurred when Noomi said that he wasn't a good owner if he wasn't able to pay his employees a decent wage. He was once able to, but now with the added costs he has to offset it with a surcharge.

I'm not sure where/what SeaTac is, but I'm thinking nationwide. If wages go up, the costs of everything will go up, too.

So, the government should be upfront about taxes, and require all businesses they force to collect them post them as part of the price of the item?

Didn't thinks so.

The guy didn't post the 35 cents as the price of the items. He charged it after the fact, as far as I can tell. You know sales taxes are going to be added to your bill. You know the prices in the menu include taxes the business owner has to pay. To simply add 35 cents to the bill with no warning is wrong.

I actually know people in a single earner household that make minimum wage and manage to get by. The secret is not living in a city that forces poor people to beg for help.

Seriously? You want me to post personal information about my friends in a public foum just so you can learn a fucking lesson in how stupid you are? Fuck off.

On the other hand, you could use the living wage calculator to educate herself.

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

I have taken in 3 homeless young men. Two of them for two years. Two of them never paid a dime in rent. I give out lunches to the needy every Monday. I know many homeless people personally. I do live in a high cost living area, hey, one out of three isn't bad.

I did all of that, and more, and never paid anywhere near $1000 for an apartment. If you really cared about poor people you would move into a poor neighborhood and help them directly instead of pretending that handing out lunches one day a week really helps people.

By having to pay his employees more, he's no longer able to pay them as much as he was. Now he has to offset the added expenditure by charging customers more to make up for the hit he's taking thanks to the passed legislature. This is what happens when you increase minimum wage. Expenses rise to make up for it.

Whether you are a liberal or a conservative, imagine what will happen if the minimum wage of all food service employees rose to $15 per hour. Just imagine the ramifications, please.

Okay, does anybody understand the above bolded sentence?

In SeaTac the minimum wage was raised to $15.00 an hour. So far the only consequence is a few servers are upset they aren't getting tips anymore.

Sheila, basically he's not able to pay his workers what he was once able to pay them. The thought occurred when Noomi said that he wasn't a good owner if he wasn't able to pay his employees a decent wage. He was once able to, but now with the added costs he has to offset it with a surcharge.

I'm not sure where/what SeaTac is, but I'm thinking nationwide. If wages go up, the costs of everything will go up, too.

Since minimum wage affects such a small portion of the population, the increases will be miniscule. 35 cents. He could have added 5 cents to each item on the menu and nobody would have batted an eye, but he wants to make a statement. Do you really think that our lowest paid workers don't deserve a raise? That they should lose income every year as inflation takes away more and more of their spending power?

Didn't thinks so.

The guy didn't post the 35 cents as the price of the items. He charged it after the fact, as far as I can tell. You know sales taxes are going to be added to your bill. You know the prices in the menu include taxes the business owner has to pay. To simply add 35 cents to the bill with no warning is wrong.

You don't complain when the government does the same thing, which makes my point a lot more valid than yours.

I did all of that, and more, and never paid anywhere near $1000 for an apartment. If you really cared about poor people you would move into a poor neighborhood and help them directly instead of pretending that handing out lunches one day a week really helps people.

You really are a quantum windbag, aren't you?

Didn't thinks so.

You don't complain when the government does the same thing, which makes my point a lot more valid than yours.

No it doesn't. But you keep thinking that.

Since minimum wage affects such a small portion of the population, the increases will be miniscule. 35 cents. He could have added 5 cents to each item on the menu and nobody would have batted an eye, but he wants to make a statement. Do you really think that our lowest paid workers don't deserve a raise? That they should lose income every year as inflation takes away more and more of their spending power?

Minimum wage jobs aren't meant to be lived on, unless you work multiple jobs. If you want to make something of yourself, you should save the money you earn and apply it towards getting a better job. I don't know if they deserve a raise, but for darned sure they don't deserve to be making more than caregivers and CNAs.

Maybe there should be more of an incentive on both the Right and Left to lower inflation and stop digging ourselves deeper in debt. Minimum wage doesn't affect a small portion of the population, either, because there are many people earning minimum wage, and many other people that are affected by those who earn minimum wage.

I think more statements like this should be made. No one is entitled to a raise, let alone a job. With respect, I think people on the Left should be more open-minded about the consequences of continuously raising minimum wage. With minimum wage increasing, other costs increase as well to keep business owners from losing profit or going bankrupt. It's economics.

Seriously? You want me to post personal information about my friends in a public foum just so you can learn a fucking lesson in how stupid you are? Fuck off.

On the other hand, you could use the living wage calculator to educate herself.

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

Did you read your site?

The minimum wage does not provide a living wage for most American families. A typical family of four (two working adults, two children) needs to work more than 3 full-time minimum-wage jobs (a 68-hour work week per working adult) to earn a living wage. Across all family sizes, the living wage exceeds the poverty threshold, often used to identify need. This means that families earning between the poverty threshold ($23,283 for two working adults, two children) and the median living wage ($51,224 for two working adults, two children per year before taxes), may fall short of the income and assistance they require to meet their basic needs.

Just another example of that right wing pettiness we've come to expect.

Minimum wage jobs aren't meant to be lived on, unless you work multiple jobs. If you want to make something of yourself, you should save the money you earn and apply it towards getting a better job. I don't know if they deserve a raise, but for darned sure they don't deserve to be making more than caregivers and CNAs.

Maybe there should be more of an incentive on both the Right and Left to lower inflation and stop digging ourselves deeper in debt. Minimum wage doesn't affect a small portion of the population, either, because there are many people earning minimum wage, and many other people that are affected by those who earn minimum wage.

I think more statements like this should be made. No one is entitled to a raise, let alone a job. With respect, I think people on the Left should be more open-minded about the consequences of continuously raising minimum wage. With minimum wage increasing, other costs increase as well to keep business owners from losing profit or going bankrupt. It's economics.

I was a NA before they were certified. We made minimum wage. CNAs don't make much more, if they do make more at all. By raising minimum wage, they get a raise, as do caregivers. And trust me, I know, most of them make minimum wage as well. My son is severely autistic. I know about caregivers. They are treated like crap. The company they work for charges the state (or they did a few years ago) more than $20.00 an hour, while paying the employee doing the work minimum wage. If you are working for yourself and get hired as a caregiver, the state still pays minimum wage, they pocket that extra money they pay the organizations that employ caregivers. What's more, before Andrew was placed, they wanted to end their contract with those organizations and make the parents find the caregivers themselves so the state could just pay minimum wage.

I personally, believe that in the richest country in the world, the poorest worker should be making a living wage. Plain and simple, they aren't.

No country can long survive with the majority of it's wealth in the hands of a few. (I can't remember who said that, I think it was Plato.)

Forum List

Back