Minnesota cafe add minimum wage surcharge

I find it ironic that conservatives believe that workers should be paid little to no money for their work then bitch about all the crime in the poor areas. Hello????

If you're poor and your only two options are work honestly for $250/week before taxes or make $1,000/day dealing drugs, what would you choose?

Not a very good Cafe if he can't afford to pay his employees a decent wage.

That's an incredibly ignorant statement. You don't know anything about this café and the owners.

And I cannot find anything which says he is upfront about that cost. Again, I have no problem with it as long as people know about it BEFORE they order. I do think he is being a jerk though.

Of course everyone knew about the extra cost because they voted for the greedy politicians who increased the minimum wage. The people did know about it...their politicians are the ones who increased it...

and it is the mandatory minimum wage...all the other businesses, including all the other restaurants have raised their prices as we'll...this guy is smart enough to show the dumb people what their votes actually cost...the other businesses should do the same...

If you are making only making minimum wage...you should not be having a family...you should be,responsible and wait till you have a job that will actually support a family.

I find it ironic that conservatives believe that workers should be paid little to no money for their work then bitch about all the crime in the poor areas. Hello????

If you're poor and your only two options are work honestly for $250/week before taxes or make $1,000/day dealing drugs, what would you choose?

Those are not the only two options.

So, over the last decade, did the restaurant raise their prices to keep up with inflation?
Using CPI numbers, the 7.25 hourly minimum wage is now worth $5.60 in 2004 dollars.
So in other words, the waiters/waitresses have lost $1.65 during the last decade in hourly wages. So raising the wage to $8, the worker is still making less than they were ten years ago. Too keep their wages even with the $7.25, wages would have had to be raised to $8.90.
Below is the CPI annual averages:
http://www.minneapolisfed.org/community_education/teacher/calc/hist1913.cfm

As a side note.
Stillwater is an upscale very scenic tourist town with many very cool shops.
The Oasis Cafe is a family style restaurant. 50 customer revues gave it 2.2 stars out of a possible 5 stars. The Oasis Cafe is at an ideal location with a ton of foot traffic. It should be making a ton of money.
I go to Stillwater often, it's a very hopping town year around with lots of tourist. I'm damn sure the owner isn't starving.

And I cannot find anything which says he is upfront about that cost. Again, I have no problem with it as long as people know about it BEFORE they order. I do think he is being a jerk though.

Of course everyone knew about the extra cost because they voted for the greedy politicians who increased the minimum wage. The people did know about it...their politicians are the ones who increased it...

and it is the mandatory minimum wage...all the other businesses, including all the other restaurants have raised their prices as we'll...this guy is smart enough to show the dumb people what their votes actually cost...the other businesses should do the same...

If you are making only making minimum wage...you should not be having a family...you should be,responsible and wait till you have a job that will actually support a family.

You've missing the point. Today minimum wage won't even support one person.

For many yes it is.

If you live in a poor neighborhood, your schools don't get much tax revenue so you have poor facilities, outdated textbooks, and marginal teachers. So the school you attend becomes unaccredited. That means you can't go to college. So your options are those two above. Not everyone has great schools that they go to in this country.

As a side note.
Stillwater is an upscale very scenic tourist town with many very cool shops.
The Oasis Cafe is a family style restaurant. 50 customer revues gave it 2.2 stars out of a possible 5 stars. The Oasis Cafe is at an ideal location with a ton of foot traffic. It should be making a ton of money.
I go to Stillwater often, it's a very hopping town year around with lots of tourist. I'm damn sure the owner isn't starving.

SO you know the owner then?

I'm damn sure, you don't know a damn thing about the owner.

It will if you don't live above your means. You will be screwed if your car breaks down, or your washing machine or stove or something, but it is possible to raise a family on minimum wage.

For many yes it is.

If you live in a poor neighborhood, your schools don't get much tax revenue so you have poor facilities, outdated textbooks, and marginal teachers. So the school you attend becomes unaccredited. That means you can't go to college. So your options are those two above. Not everyone has great schools that they go to in this country.

McDonalds now offers college scholarships, so get a job for them, and let them pay for your education, that not educated well enough to go to college is bullshit. There are plenty of places to get a high school diploma at night, or on the weekends just in rural areas, I know I see a lot of them advertised in metropolitan areas.

There is the armed forces, and I personally went to the Job Corps back in the 80's and they paid for my college, it got me off a minimum wage job. There are a lot of choices out there, you just can't lay around on your ass and wait for them to bite it, it doesn't work that way.

It was never supposed to support anyone...if you are a teenager in high school living at home...that is what the minimum wage was supposed to be for...but of course, that is the individual who it hurts the most, by wrecking the chances that teenagers can find those all important first jobs, why...because why pay a lazy teenager 8 dollars an hour when you can get the unemployed family man who knows how to work...unemployed because the democrats have driven out the businesses in the cities and states where they have power.

Why isn't anyone pointing out that one of the liberal paradises...Sweden...? Doesn't have a minimum wage...

Idiots take offense.

A small cafe in Stillwater has thrown itself into the big battle over Minnesota’s minimum wage increases, inundating the cafe with dozens of phone calls and online comments this week after it tacked on a 35-cent fee to meal tabs.

Oasis Cafe owner Craig Beemer said the fee is needed to offset the 75-cent wage hike that took effect Aug. 1, the first time Minnesota’s minimum wage has increased in a decade. Even with only half a dozen servers, Beemer says it will cost him $10,000 more a year to pay servers $8 an hour instead of the federal rate of $7.25 an hour. Instead of adding it on to food prices, he added the “minimum wage fee” — the only restaurant known to do so in Minnesota so far.

It’s set off a firestorm of debate on Facebook and in the east metro community, with one customer calling the cafe Wednesday to demand a refund and others taking to Facebook to encourage people to boycott the roadside cafe.

“We’re shocked at what’s going on,” manager Colin Orcutt said of the public response. “We’re all appalled at the response for just protecting his employees. We’re just doing what we have to do.”

It’s not the only restaurant responding to the wage hike.

Blue Plate Co., which owns eight restaurants in the Twin Cities and has about 650 workers, says the wage increase and rising expenses because of the health care law will cost the company $1.25 million, prompting it to increase prices and add a fee to servers when a credit card is used to pay a tip.

“We believe that the industry is overreacting,” Wade Luneburg of the MN State Council of UNITE HERE Unions told the Star Tribune this week. “Putting [minimum wage] fees on tickets and passing the cost on to consumers directly is strange at best, and creates an ‘us against them’ mentality while ordering dinner.”

At the Stillwater cafe, which sits at the edge of the downtown and near its historic caves, customers filed in Wednesday for the cafe’s signature burgers or breakfast meals. Despite online boycott threats, business has actually increased so far this week, Orcutt said.
Stillwater cafe faces heat for adding 'minimum wage fee' to tab | Star Tribune

Some will cheer, some will sneer. Personally, I would just never eat at this restaurant again.

Why? b/c they showed you the impact of your dumb ideas?

It was never supposed to support anyone...if you are a teenager in high school living at home...that is what the minimum wage was supposed to be for...but of course, that is the individual who it hurts the most, by wrecking the chances that teenagers can find those all important first jobs, why...because why pay a lazy teenager 8 dollars an hour when you can get the unemployed family man who knows how to work...unemployed because the democrats have driven out the businesses in the cities and states where they have power.

Why isn't anyone pointing out that one of the liberal paradises...Sweden...? Doesn't have a minimum wage...

Wasn't it Reagan who enacted the free trade agreement?

Yeah it's nice to be able to buy cheap stuff from overseas, but, it puts American business out of business, ask Detroit about that.

By having to pay his employees more, he's no longer able to pay them as much as he was. Now he has to offset the added expenditure by charging customers more to make up for the hit he's taking thanks to the passed legislature. This is what happens when you increase minimum wage. Expenses rise to make up for it.

Whether you are a liberal or a conservative, imagine what will happen if the minimum wage of all food service employees rose to $15 per hour. Just imagine the ramifications, please.

Last edited:
Some will cheer, some will sneer. Personally, I would just never eat at this restaurant again.

Why? If he hid the cost in the prices, some would pay the added costs disproportionately. If you are about fairness, this is the fairest way to do it. Seems like you just don't like that it reminds consumers that they are the ones who have to pay for the cost of complying with new leftist laws.

THAT right there proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that leftist have no idea how a business works.

None
At
All

My understanding of any business that caters to the general public, is that one should never alienate a portion of ones customer base by putting one's political views on their receipt.

So being upfront, instead of hiding the cost in raised prices is bad to leftist.

b/c being honest is bad for leftist ideals

oh and read the link, his business increased, soooo :lol:

This makes me :lol:

Everyone wants to pay people more...until they personally have to SEE that it is they who are paying for it.

If the cafe HIDES the increase...that's A-OK...but do it out in the open and they are outraged.

Hysterical.

The minimum wage there has not been raised in ten years, and businesses complain when they finally do increase the minimum. Probably the first raise any of those workers have seen in ten years.

:lol:

how much do you pay a server and still be able to afford to have them?

and who the fuck would be server for 10 years?

Idiots take offense.

A small cafe in Stillwater has thrown itself into the big battle over Minnesota’s minimum wage increases, inundating the cafe with dozens of phone calls and online comments this week after it tacked on a 35-cent fee to meal tabs.

Oasis Cafe owner Craig Beemer said the fee is needed to offset the 75-cent wage hike that took effect Aug. 1, the first time Minnesota’s minimum wage has increased in a decade. Even with only half a dozen servers, Beemer says it will cost him $10,000 more a year to pay servers $8 an hour instead of the federal rate of $7.25 an hour. Instead of adding it on to food prices, he added the “minimum wage fee” — the only restaurant known to do so in Minnesota so far.

It’s set off a firestorm of debate on Facebook and in the east metro community, with one customer calling the cafe Wednesday to demand a refund and others taking to Facebook to encourage people to boycott the roadside cafe.

“We’re shocked at what’s going on,” manager Colin Orcutt said of the public response. “We’re all appalled at the response for just protecting his employees. We’re just doing what we have to do.”

It’s not the only restaurant responding to the wage hike.

Blue Plate Co., which owns eight restaurants in the Twin Cities and has about 650 workers, says the wage increase and rising expenses because of the health care law will cost the company $1.25 million, prompting it to increase prices and add a fee to servers when a credit card is used to pay a tip.

“We believe that the industry is overreacting,” Wade Luneburg of the MN State Council of UNITE HERE Unions told the Star Tribune this week. “Putting [minimum wage] fees on tickets and passing the cost on to consumers directly is strange at best, and creates an ‘us against them’ mentality while ordering dinner.”

At the Stillwater cafe, which sits at the edge of the downtown and near its historic caves, customers filed in Wednesday for the cafe’s signature burgers or breakfast meals. Despite online boycott threats, business has actually increased so far this week, Orcutt said.
Stillwater cafe faces heat for adding 'minimum wage fee' to tab | Star Tribune

My choice also.

This makes me :lol:

Everyone wants to pay people more...until they personally have to SEE that it is they who are paying for it.

If the cafe HIDES the increase...that's A-OK...but do it out in the open and they are outraged.

Hysterical.

You mean like this:
What’s happened is that a new rule by the U.S. Department of Transportation has taken effect requiring carriers to include all mandatory taxes and fees in their fares upfront.​

Yep, the government wants people to think airlines are responsible for all the taxes they add, and that the government is not causing prices to go up.

Forum List

Back