Missouri Bill Would Require All First Graders To Take NRA-Sponsored Gun Class

So I guess Sex Ed in 1st Grade is just dandy, right?

If by sex ed you mean teaching kids that if they are touched in private places, to tell their parents or a policeman or a doctor or whatever... then yes.. just dandy.... but no use teaching kids about sexual intercourse, STD's etc in 1st grade.. just as it would not be appropriate to teach the kids the politics of the 2nd amendment or take them to a firing range to shoot some rounds off with a .45

Who is paying for this or is it an unfunded mandate? Oh, the gun manufacturers are doing it out of the goodness of their little hearts, right?

Personally, I think that first grade is too young.
Oh and don't anyone get their panties in an uproar. I took gun safety via the NRA when I was 12, which is an age I think is much better.

AGAIN.. too young to teach that if you come across one, don't touch, find a trustworthy adult, tell them.. don't play with the gun???

You are foolish

Are kids having sex in first grade? No.

There are guns in childrens cartoons...

There are guns in movies....

There are guns on Tv...

Kids play cops and robbers...

There are toy guns...

Water pistols...

First graders are old enough to be taught guns are not toys...real guns kill real people.

I'll steal the sex ed argument...feel free to attempt to counter it...

Schools need to teach the dangers of guns because parents aren't.

Who is paying for this or is it an unfunded mandate? Oh, the gun manufacturers are doing it out of the goodness of their little hearts, right?

I assume the State of Missouri if it passes.

So what exactly is your problem with teaching children not to play with guns?

As stated.. I would rather have this budgeted in my local school board or my state school system than something like some bullshit multicultural class... or some state entitlement program for those who just won't work.. or some banquet in the governor's mansion

And if the NRA would volunteer to fund the training, I would accept that gift.. just as I would if the church funded it, or the Dalai Lama, or the AFL-CIO, or the Teamsters, or the local news station.. etc

By Annie-Rose Strasser

Students in Missouri have no sexual education requirement, so there’s a good chance they don’t know how to properly protect themselves from STIs or unintended pregnancy. Soon, though, they may be able to protect themselves from guns.

Missouri state Senate is considering a bill that would require all first graders in the state to take a gun safety training course. Using a grant provided by the National Rifle Association, it would put a “National Rifle Association’s Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program” instructor in every first grade classroom.

The irony that there’s no requirement for students to learn about their bodies — but that there is one for deadly weapons — seems lost on the legislators proposing the measure, one of whom lamented, “I hate mandates as much as anyone, but some concerns and conditions rise to the level of needing a mandate”:pushing for its passage:

More: Missouri Bill Would Require All First Graders To Take NRA-Sponsored Gun Class | ThinkProgress

Why Missouri's Students Might Believe Todd Akin's Junk Science | ThinkProgress

That's just stupid. While I agree that our schools should provide a gun safety class, first grade is too young.

There are guns on Tv...

There are toy guns...

Water pistols...

First graders are old enough to be taught guns are not toys...real guns kill real people.

Then maybe the "parents" need some training...?

By Annie-Rose Strasser

Students in Missouri have no sexual education requirement, so there’s a good chance they don’t know how to properly protect themselves from STIs or unintended pregnancy. Soon, though, they may be able to protect themselves from guns.

Missouri state Senate is considering a bill that would require all first graders in the state to take a gun safety training course. Using a grant provided by the National Rifle Association, it would put a “National Rifle Association’s Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program” instructor in every first grade classroom.

The irony that there’s no requirement for students to learn about their bodies — but that there is one for deadly weapons — seems lost on the legislators proposing the measure, one of whom lamented, “I hate mandates as much as anyone, but some concerns and conditions rise to the level of needing a mandate”:pushing for its passage:

More: Missouri Bill Would Require All First Graders To Take NRA-Sponsored Gun Class | ThinkProgress

That's just stupid. While I agree that our schools should provide a gun safety class, first grade is too young.

Then I guess you are also against fire safety things like stop, drop, and roll.. Mr. Yuk for poison awareness, etc??? Right??

There are guns on Tv...

There are toy guns...

Water pistols...

Then maybe the "parents" need some training...?

Apply that logic to sex ed, and we can get rid of that too, right?

Will these NRA instructors show real guns or just pictures/videos? Also, how many times will they mention "NRA" during the training?

Will these NRA instructors show real guns or just pictures? Also, how many times will they mention "NRA" during the training?

Firefighters going to show real fire or pictures??? How many times will parents mention their company names during career day?? How many times will school sponsors be mentioned in school??

IF such training is to take place among ALL first graders, it seems to me that it should be taught by local authorities (city police, county police, state police, DNR, etc...) instead of someone representing the NRA.

IF such training is to take place among ALL first graders, it seems to me that it should be taught by local authorities (city police, county police, state police, DNR, etc...) instead of someone representing the NRA.

My hunters safety course and my conceal carry training was sponsored by the NRA... And taught by local NRA instructors...one was the county Sheriff and the other was the city police chief...

My hunters safety course and my conceal carry training was sponsored by the NRA... And taught by local NRA instructors...one was the county Sheriff and the other was the city police chief...

For those of us like me, who live in a large city, one has to remember that in most of the country your local law enforcement and the NRA often overlap.

The grabber cops are mostly at the state level and the large cities.

Fair enough, but why does such training need to be "sponsored" by the NRA?

Wise move with all the irresponsible parents. Try to teach the kids proper gun saftey and response if found.

Partisan idiotic thread dully noted.
politics aside for a moment. Fact time. There are more gun killings in this country than any other country on earth. Agreed?

Fair enough, but why does such training need to be "sponsored" by the NRA?

Because the nra makes money off everythnig gun related. That's why they push and push fear. Set takin yer guns. Buy more! Remember post election 08? Damn the right are Idiots.

By Annie-Rose Strasser

Well if the NRA is sponsoring it, it doesn´t detract from other studies, and you can opt out of it....why not? First grade is probably too early to do this....kids can't spell the word "gun"yet.

Forum List

Back