Missouri Bill Would Require All First Graders To Take NRA-Sponsored Gun Class

By Annie-Rose Strasser

Students in Missouri have no sexual education requirement, so there’s a good chance they don’t know how to properly protect themselves from STIs or unintended pregnancy. Soon, though, they may be able to protect themselves from guns.

Missouri state Senate is considering a bill that would require all first graders in the state to take a gun safety training course. Using a grant provided by the National Rifle Association, it would put a “National Rifle Association’s Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program” instructor in every first grade classroom.

The irony that there’s no requirement for students to learn about their bodies — but that there is one for deadly weapons — seems lost on the legislators proposing the measure, one of whom lamented, “I hate mandates as much as anyone, but some concerns and conditions rise to the level of needing a mandate”:pushing for its passage:

More: Missouri Bill Would Require All First Graders To Take NRA-Sponsored Gun Class | ThinkProgress

Why Missouri's Students Might Believe Todd Akin's Junk Science | ThinkProgress

Well if the NRA is sponsoring it, it doesn´t detract from other studies, and you can opt out of it....why not? First grade is probably too early to do this....kids can't spell the word "gun"yet.

It sounds like "opt out" isn't an option.

So I guess Sex Ed in 1st Grade is just dandy, right?

Are kids having sex in first grade? No.

There are guns in childrens cartoons...

There are guns in movies....

There are guns on Tv...

Kids play cops and robbers...

There are toy guns...

Water pistols...

First graders are old enough to be taught guns are not toys...real guns kill real people.

I'll steal the sex ed argument...feel free to attempt to counter it...

Schools need to teach the dangers of guns because parents aren't.

Then maybe the "parents" need some training...?

Who do you think should pay for that?

Wise move with all the irresponsible parents. Try to teach the kids proper gun saftey and response if found.

Partisan idiotic thread dully noted.
politics aside for a moment. Fact time. There are more gun killings in this country than any other country on earth. Agreed?

Why would anyone agree to a "fact" you pulled from no where?

My hunters safety course and my conceal carry training was sponsored by the NRA... And taught by local NRA instructors...one was the county Sheriff and the other was the city police chief...

Fair enough, but why does such training need to be "sponsored" by the NRA?

Because the nra makes money off everythnig gun related. That's why they push and push fear. Set takin yer guns. Buy more! Remember post election 08? Damn the right are Idiots.

The NRA isn't a for-profit organization.

IF such training is to take place among ALL first graders, it seems to me that it should be taught by local authorities (city police, county police, state police, DNR, etc...) instead of someone representing the NRA.

Uh, duh...whose program do you think those local authorities use when they do provide such training. Eddie Eagle is a well-developed, comprehensive safety program designed to address young children.

IF such training is to take place among ALL first graders, it seems to me that it should be taught by local authorities (city police, county police, state police, DNR, etc...) instead of someone representing the NRA.

My hunters safety course and my conceal carry training was sponsored by the NRA... And taught by local NRA instructors...one was the county Sheriff and the other was the city police chief...

Because the NRA wants to sponsor such training.

They coordinate with legislators and law enforcement to formulate the proper curriculum to satisfy state and federal criteria.

The NRA then pays for the training aids, materials, printing of study guides and tests, and all take home publications...plus, the NRA pays for the venue... they also pay for the instructors training to make sure instruction is consistent and comprehensive.

Education & Training

Whether you're a new or prospective gun owner or hunter in search of training, whatever your age or level of expertise, whatever type of firearm you're interested in, NRA's Education & Training Division is here to help you.

Training Department From beginner to developing competitor, the NRA Training Department develops safe, ethical, responsible shooters through a network of more than 93,000 instructors and range safety officers, more than 5,200 coaches, and more than 1,700 training counselors. NRA Training Counselors recruit and train instructors to teach NRA's basic firearm courses. NRA Coaches, in turn, develop competitors at the club, high school, collegiate and national levels.

Hunter Services With over 2.3 million members who hunt, the NRA offers hunters a wide range of programs addressing all aspects of hunting, including youth hunter skills, advanced skills training and the conservation of our natural and wildlife resources. All Hunter Services Department programs work toward the common goal of instilling and promoting the skills and ethics that will ensure the continuance of America's proud hunting heritage.

Women's Programs It hasn't always been easy for women to break into the world of shooting sports. But now with organized programs for women, by the women of the NRA, it's as easy as can be. Whether a woman's interest is personal safety, gun safety, gun knowledge, marksmanship, hunting, or recreational or competitive shooting, the NRA has a variety of programs and activities that all encourage female participation at all skill levels.

Youth Programs The NRA helps America's adult leaders and national youth serving organizations set up shooting programs, introduces the first-time or intermediate shooter to a lifetime of recreational and competitive opportunities, and develops programs for NRA youth members and NRA-affiliated youth clubs.

Gunsmithing NRA short term gunsmithing schools offer courses on topics such as general gunsmithing, bluing, stockmaking, checkering, engraving, and parkerizing. More specialized courses focus on topics such as accurizing the AR-15 rifle; accurizing varmint rifles; fine tuning single-action revolvers and long guns for cowboy shoots; accurizing the Colt Model 1911 pistol; and English Gunsmithing. Law enforcement armorer classes are also offered.

To join NRA today, or for additional information regarding membership, call 1-800-NRA-3888 or click here. Your membership dues can be charged to VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.

For more information, call 703-267-1500.

Education and Training|Education and Training

By Annie-Rose Strasser

Students in Missouri have no sexual education requirement, so there’s a good chance they don’t know how to properly protect themselves from STIs or unintended pregnancy. Soon, though, they may be able to protect themselves from guns.

Missouri state Senate is considering a bill that would require all first graders in the state to take a gun safety training course. Using a grant provided by the National Rifle Association, it would put a “National Rifle Association’s Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program” instructor in every first grade classroom.

The irony that there’s no requirement for students to learn about their bodies — but that there is one for deadly weapons — seems lost on the legislators proposing the measure, one of whom lamented, “I hate mandates as much as anyone, but some concerns and conditions rise to the level of needing a mandate”:pushing for its passage:
More: Missouri Bill Would Require All First Graders To Take NRA-Sponsored Gun Class | ThinkProgress

Let me guess, teaching kids about guns is bad.

Why do schools accept training materials contributed by outfits like PETA and the SPCA? While they do address animal cruelty issues, they also talk about controversial issues like anti-hunting. The programs are already developed and usually cost the schools very little, if anything.

The program is a great program.

However, and believe Me, I'm going to wash My keyboard out with soap after this post.

The apple has a point.

As a conservative, I don't want government mandating that kids have to take programs like this. It is extra curricular in nature and as such, should be voluntary, and the parents should be given the ability to opt out if they wish.

It sets a bad precedent in a world full of bad precedents.

I have to remain consistent with My ideology. I'm against this program unless there are major changes to the legislation which allows for opting out.

Last edited:
Become an Instructor

Since 1871, a major objective of the National Rifle Association has been to provide education and training in the safe and proper use of firearms. Knowing how to shoot is an important requirement for NRA instructors, but you will also need to know how to teach others to shoot. NRA Instructor Training Courses help you develop the additional knowledge, skills and techniques needed to organize and teach courses in the NRA Basic Firearm Training Program.

Instructor training courses are conducted by NRA Training Counselors. Training Counselors are active and experienced instructors who have been certified by NRA to train experienced shooters to teach others to shoot. NRA Instructor Training courses are posted at NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training, or you may request a list of Training Counselors in your geographic area by contacting the NRA Training Department at 703-267-1430.

To qualify as an NRA Instructor:

Candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training and/or previous shooting experience. Instructor candidates must be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline they wish to be certified. Candidates will be required to demonstrate solid and safe firearms handling skills required to be successful during an instructor training course by completing pre-course questionnaires and qualification exercises administered by the NRA Appointed Training Counselor. Candidates must satisfactorily complete an NRA Instructor Training Course in the discipline they wish to teach (e.g., NRA Basic Pistol Course), and receive the endorsement of the NRA Training Counselor conducting that training.

NRA Instructor courses are discipline specific. During the course, candidates will learn NRA policies and procedures, basic public speaking skills, training methodology, use of a training team and training aids, organizing a course, building a budget, and finally preparing to teach. In addition, candidates will be provided the appropriate lesson plans and basic course student packets. Role-playing is a major part of an instructor course; therefore, the minimum class size should be at least four candidates, with 10-12 candidates being ideal. Candidates take turns working in teams, actually conducting portions of the course to other candidates who portray basic students.

Training Counselors will evaluate candidates' performance based on their ability to handle the firearms with confidence, use of appropriate training aids, following the lesson plans and meeting all learning objectives, while utilizing the teaching philosophies expected of NRA Certified Instructors. Candidates can also expect to learn the NRA discipline specific instructional methods and evaluating and improving the performance of beginning shooters. Candidates will be provided with the NRA Trainer's Guide, appropriate Lesson Plans and Outlines, Basic Course Student handbooks, certificates, basic student examinations, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program booklet, Basic Firearm Training Programs Brochure, Gun Safety Rules brochure, NRA Trainer's Examination and NRA discipline specific instructor examination (minimum passing grade is 90%).

Instructor ratings are available to conduct the following NRA courses:

Basic Pistol Shooting Personal Protection in the Home Personal Protection Outside the Home Basic Rifle Shooting Basic Shotgun Shooting Basic Muzzleloading Pistol Basic Muzzleloading Rifle Basic Muzzleloading Shotgun Home Firearm Safety Metallic Cartridge Reloading Shotgun Shell Reloading Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructors provide an invaluable service in their communities by training hundreds of thousands of individuals annually. As more Americans choose to exercise their right to own a firearm, so too grows the need for these courses.

You can be the vital element in meeting this need by becoming an NRA Certified Instructor and conducting NRA Basic Firearm Training Courses. As an instructor, you can experience the personal satisfaction of teaching others the basics - the knowledge, skills and attitude that will lead to a lifetime of safe, enjoyable and successful involvement in firearm and shooting activities.

NRA Certified Instructors are expected to:

Conduct NRA Basic Courses in accordance with policies and procedures outlined by NRA Uphold the quality and integrity of national firearm safety and training standards established by NRA Promote firearm safety and the shooting sports Report training data to NRA

NRA copyrighted materials may be reproduced in their entirety for educational purposes

Education and Training|Become an Instructor

By Annie-Rose Strasser

Let me guess, teaching kids about guns is bad.

It's much better that kids don't know gun safety. If they find a gun, they shouldn't avoid it and notify a parent, they should start shooting it instead.

The NRA has long had a safety program aimed at children (pun intended), it's called the Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program and it works.

If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

My daughter was 7 years old when I was teaching firearms safety classes. She would sit at a table and disassemble, clean, and reassemble my Colt Model 1910. When asked what she would do if she saw a firearm in someone's home, she was able to recite those very rules. Later, at the age of 12, she started co-teaching Hunter Education classes. When we went to the range with our students, she cracked down harder on her peers than the adults did for safety infractions.

There is a time and place to teach children the things they need to know to keep them safe. I would rather children be taught gun safety in grade school than how to apply a condom to their fruits and veggies.
At the age of nine, I would dismantle and reassemble my dad's 7.5mm Luger (absolutely magnificent machined parts...only one screw in the whole thing...holds the wooden grips on tight). He later gave me the gun and I later foolishly sold it.

Do parents have any choice in this?

You're such a die hard hack that you probably would object to someone teaching your child (god forbid if you actually have one) being taught what to do to avoid a dangerous situation.
It's not that they're trying to teach 1st graders how to shoot....just driving home the point that they should leave and find an adult.

Really? All you "small government" folks are okay with the state mandating this?

All you "big government" people are OK with denying the opportunity to teach children to be safe?

They can't enroll in an NRA class outside of school? You want to fucking mandate that kids learn about guns but a doctor can't ask if there are guns in a home? What is wrong with you people?
The mandate is to the teachers to spend a few moments in each day to remind students to find an adult if they see a gun. It is not to teach them how to handle and use guns. Get a fucking grip on the conversation.

All first graders? This seems like NRA indoctrination to me.
To encourage children to seek an adult when they see a gun is hardly indoctrination.

Personally, I think that first grade is too young.
Oh and don't anyone get their panties in an uproar. I took gun safety via the NRA when I was 12, which is an age I think is much better.
This is not a gun safety class. It is a stay-away-from-guns class.

Who is paying for this or is it an unfunded mandate? Oh, the gun manufacturers are doing it out of the goodness of their little hearts, right?
Why does it matter when it may very well save lives?

So I guess Sex Ed in 1st Grade is just dandy, right?

Are kids having sex in first grade? No.

There are guns in childrens cartoons...

There are guns in movies....

There are guns on Tv...

Kids play cops and robbers...

There are toy guns...

Water pistols...

First graders are old enough to be taught guns are not toys...real guns kill real people.

I'll steal the sex ed argument...feel free to attempt to counter it...

Schools need to teach the dangers of guns because parents aren't.

Then maybe the "parents" need some training...?
...so would you rather mandate that parents attend classes or pay fines for not teaching their children to stay away from guns.

By Annie-Rose Strasser

Well if the NRA is sponsoring it, it doesn´t detract from other studies, and you can opt out of it....why not? First grade is probably too early to do this....kids can't spell the word "gun"yet.
They can be taught to stay away from them until they are old enough to become familiar with them. The same can be applied to sex education. You teach a 1st grader to scream and run when a stranger offers them a cookie to get in his pickup truck. That's about as far as you go with sex education for six year olds. It's when they reach puberty and start having natural urges to explore their newly found "toys" that they need to know a bit about the consequences of sexual activity.

A gun safety course for children should also include a "scream and run" stage...say at age six. That appears to be all this program is calling for. Later, if they want to learn how to use them, they can sign up for voluntary courses.

Since the school room is a convenient place to repetitiously spread the (same) word to all children, it is a much better way to do this than to ask the parents to do it at home. Too many parents are unwilling or unable to teach their children anything regarding guns and good behavior. (That is why we have so many punk ass kids on the streets today.)

Last edited:
In 1999 the ABC News program 20/20 did a feature on Eddie Eagle which was highly critical of the program.[1] This feature stated that it did not work to simply "Tell [very young] kids what to do" and expect them to follow those instructions implicitly.

Eddie Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20/20 Classic: Kids and Guns | Video - ABC News

Then why would you think they'd do any better with sex ed? You just shot yourself in the proverbial foot there bubba.

I won't support it without an opt out.

In fact, I'll email that to my local representative in the morning.

If folks don't want their kids to receive this instruction, they should not be forced to do so.

Further, children whose parents choose the opt out option should be...I am having trouble putting this concept into words...should not feel singled out or left out or different in any way.

I hope that make some kind of sense...and gets my meaning across.

What happened to the lefts mantra "if it just saves one life it's worth it", that being considered why would you want an opt out?

Last edited:

However, and believe Me, I'm going to wash My keyboard out with soap after this post.

The apple has a point.

As a conservative, I don't want government mandating that kids have to take programs like this. It is extra curricular in nature and as such, should be voluntary, and the parents should be given the ability to opt out if they wish.

I have to remain consistent with My ideology. I'm against this program unless there are major changes to the legislation which allows for opting out.

I actually agree with the "opt out". But later, if their children become statistics, parents who either "opt out" or fail to instruct their children at home should have no recourse to legal relief. If offered and declined, any optional program, recourse should be limited.

I would suspect that a parent that is engaged enough to opt out is also engaged enough to have this discussion with their children on their own in a manner that they deem appropriate.

The apple has a point.

I actually agree with the "opt out". But later, if their children become statistics, parents who either "opt out" or fail to instruct their children at home should have no recourse to legal relief. If offered and declined, any optional program, recourse should be limited.
I have no problem with that.

Forum List

Back