Missouri Bill Would Require All First Graders To Take NRA-Sponsored Gun Class

I would suspect that a parent that is engaged enough to opt out is also engaged enough to have this discussion with their children on their own in a manner that they deem appropriate.
As I was growing up, My dad made it clear that his guns were loaded. We were taught that any gun is loaded until an adult said otherwise. We were not to go near them for any reason, but he taught us all gun safety.

I taught both My boys, and My three step-children the same thing. To this day, My weapons are loaded. They are also easy to get to if I need one of them. However, I have them secured in such a way that no child would be able to access them. And I've locked up a few favorites because My grandson, who is to young to understand just yet, is living with us until the economy improves.

Responsible ownership of guns is something that came naturally to people of the time of our founding, and they should be required in our day and age.

I would be less opposed to such a "mandate" if there is an "opt out" option.

I would suspect that a parent that is engaged enough to opt out is also engaged enough to have this discussion with their children on their own in a manner that they deem appropriate.
As I was growing up, My dad made it clear that his guns were loaded. We were taught that any gun is loaded until an adult said otherwise. We were not to go near them for any reason, but he taught us all gun safety.

I taught both My boys, and My three step-children the same thing. To this day, My weapons are loaded. They are also easy to get to if I need one of them. However, I have them secured in such a way that no child would be able to access them. And I've locked up a few favorites because My grandson, who is to young to understand just yet, is living with us until the economy improves.

Responsible ownership of guns is something that came naturally to people of the time of our founding, and they should be required in our day and age.

Same here. There were guns in the house, they were loaded. We knew not to mess with them. We also knew that to disobey that rule meant getting our asses whipped. Too many of today's kids need a decent ass-whipping. It would change their outlook on life significantly.

Same here. There were guns in the house, they were loaded. We knew not to mess with them. We also knew that to disobey that rule meant getting our asses whipped. Too many of today's kids need a decent ass-whipping. It would change their outlook on life significantly.
Yep

Really? All you "small government" folks are okay with the state mandating this?

Just like the state mandates fire drills, teaches about poison control 'Mr. Yuck' or scull and crossbones, Stranger Danger, inappropriate touching, anti-bullying, stop drop and roll...

Besides the NRA funds it, not the schools.

True story: When my two oldest were very tiny, we decided NOT to give them toy guns to play with because they needed to learn that guns were not toys.
It didn't matter! One morning they were eating around their egos and making them into 'guns'.
Or they would use sticks and pretend they were guns.

By the time I was 6, I had a basic .22 rifle. My arms were so short, the gunsmith (Grampa) had to cut off a good 6 inches from the rifle butt.

Some people have zero clue what it's like to be raised living a subsistence lifestyle. And until they do, they really shouldn't be spouting what they know nothing of.

Really? All you "small government" folks are okay with the state mandating this?

Just like the state mandates fire drills, teaches about poison control 'Mr. Yuck' or scull and crossbones, Stranger Danger, inappropriate touching, anti-bullying, stop drop and roll...

True story: When my two oldest were very tiny, we decided NOT to give them toy guns to play with because they needed to learn that guns were not toys.
It didn't matter! One morning they were eating around their egos and making them into 'guns'.

By the time I was 6, I had a basic .22 rifle. My arms were so short, the gunsmith (Grampa) had to cut off a good 6 inches from the rifle butt.

Some people have zero clue what it's like to be raised living a subsistence lifestyle. And until they do, they really shouldn't be spouting what they know nothing of.

What, your parents never hear of a "chipmunk"?

What, your parents never hear of a "chipmunk"?

The idea was to attach the butt as I grew (ok that sounded bad, lol)

Forum List

Back