Mitt Romney is going to get the GOP nomination.......and he is a cupcake

Tonight will be interesting with Santorum's surge. Obama's team would love a Santorum nomination.

Wow. Jake's attacking Santorum now. What a big surprise that is.

You don't think that the Obama Team hasn't already game planned out how they are going to beat the snot out of Reversable Mittens?

You don't think they've got the name of every worker who ever got fired or screwed in a Bain Takeover on a rollodex?

But keep passing out the Koolaid for the Cult Suicide Pact.

You think Santorum is electable?

I would like to see that response also.
Mitt is the only one of the group that has a more than fair chance to win the General.....but I suppose anything can happen.

Mitt is miles ahead of his nearest competitor in the GOP. But that is only because he seems mildly sane

Once he goes head to head against Obama, his personal shortcomings will be clearly evident to the voters

He reminds me of Mike Dukakis

This is more than a little sad when the biggest reason he could possibly give for getting the nomination is that he's not looney tunes like the freaks also running for the GOP nomination. That also says a lot about his chances for actually becoming President.

But, WTF, people win the lottery, right? So, who knows what will happen?

Mitt is miles ahead of his nearest competitor in the GOP. But that is only because he seems mildly sane

Once he goes head to head against Obama, his personal shortcomings will be clearly evident to the voters

He reminds me of Mike Dukakis

Obama will be running against two people. Obama from 2008 and Mitt Romney.

He's highly vulnerable against each.

Obama will be running against two people. Obama from 2008 and Mitt Romney.

He's highly vulnerable against each.

How ironic, given that Romney will also be running against Romney from 2008. And Romney from 2007, and Romney from 2006, etc, etc ...

Tonight will be interesting with Santorum's surge. Obama's team would love a Santorum nomination.

Wow. Jake's attacking Santorum now. What a big surprise that is.

You don't think that the Obama Team hasn't already game planned out how they are going to beat the snot out of Reversable Mittens?

You don't think they've got the name of every worker who ever got fired or screwed in a Bain Takeover on a rollodex?

But keep passing out the Koolaid for the Cult Suicide Pact.

You think Santorum is electable?

I think he's more electable than Romney. Romney simply ticks off too many groups the GOP needs to win- Evangelicals, WOrking folks, Hispanics. You work on the assumption they will "suck it" when you bully him past the primaries.

Santorum at least has a chance.

And honestly, Santorum has run for office a total of five times. He won in 1990 in a heavily Democratic district. Even after the district was redrawn, in a Democratic year, he won it again in with a 61% margin.

He won his senate seat in 1994, beating an incumbant Democrat, Harris Woffard.

He won it again in 2000, even though Al Gore carried the state.

He lost it in 2006, in a year that was horrible for Republicans overall, and where the DNC targetted him in particular. He ran against a conservative Democrat from a powerful PA family who had considerable crossover appeal.

So, the Santorum record, running in a blue state- 4-1. Not shabby.

Now let's look at Romney's record.

1994, he ran against Ted Kennedy. He lost by 17 points.

2002, he ran against Jan Swift. He beat her with a whopping 49% of the vote in a Good Republican year, fresh off his notoriety with the SLC Olympics, after outspending her 10 to 1.

in 2006, he opted not to run because the Democratic challengers were beating him by double digits in the polls.

in 2008, he was beaten by Mike Huckabee and John McCain. This was after spending nearly 100 million dollars.

So Romney's record- 1-3.

I'd take Rick's record any time.

The only reason Romney isn't a joke with a weird religion is because he is willing to spend millions of dollars of his own money on these things.

How ironic, given that Romney will also be running against Romney from 2008. And Romney from 2007, and Romney from 2006, etc, etc ...

The difference being that Romney doesn't have a national record to defend; Obama does.

Obama is toast, and we all know it. That's why the GOP nomination is such a big deal this time around.

The difference being that Romney doesn't have a national record to defend; Obama does.

Obama is toast, and we all know it. That's why the GOP nomination is such a big deal this time around.

I don't think Obama is toast.

A couple of factors - first, the economy. Nearly everyone thinks it will improve a bit in 2012.

That might be enough to get him over the hump.

Second, Romney is just plain not likable. Even Republicans would rather have someone else, as they are now trying out their SIXTH not Romney.

Obama is already up by 38 electoral votes, and he hasn't even started to campaign yet.

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Battle for White House

Bain.jpg

Mitt is uninspiring

He seems like a ventriloquist dummy up there

The man is an accomplished leader. Like his politics or him as a person, he does have a record of leadership.

And there is more to leadership than being a good speaker. Which he does quite fine.

If he is so great, why is the GOP resisting him so???

Actually, if you consider the GOP to be its "establishment" members, they appear to be embracing him as the apparent nominee. It's the teabagging wingut arm of the GOP that's resisting Mittens the Pander Bear.

Last edited:
Santorum is unelectable, JoeBigot's mentally and emotionally religious hatred continues, and Obama would rather campaign against Santorum than Romney. Romney can beat Obama, Santorum can't.

Actually, the way the economy is going, I think the TP is right and the GOP should nominate someone who will lose anyway. Unless we get another recession, Obama is going to be unbeatable. Although not quite as bad for the GOP as 1964, it's the same principle. Goldwater once said that he knew he had no chance to beat Johnson, and was more concerned about taking the Republican Party away from the East Coast establishment. That's probably what the Tea Party instinctively wants now: to take the party away from the machine, since Obama's going to get a second term anyway.

About Mitt Romeny:

Think about the selection that the GOP has obtained this year.

You have a Libertarian in Ron Paul--Problem: His isolationist foreign policy plus some of his connections to wackadoos that make him like a conspiracy nut.

You have the social conservative Rick Santorium--Problem: Dispite what the rights talking heads claim, Rick's social conservatism turns off most voters. Yeah, Rick may stand on the moral high ground on issues such as abortion, but you must know how to turn that into political clout with people that does not seek it.

Then there is the Tea Partier Michelle Bachman--Problem: Believe it or not, she is probably the most abrasive of the candidates. Also adding the fact that she loses campaign staff every other week, and it becomes apparent that she would make a better fit as the Republicans political bulldog than Lead policy maker.

Newt Gingrich appears to be as abasive as Bachmann, but this is due to some of the complaints that members of Republican party have about his leadership style. Also, I am still trying to figure out what kind of conservative Newt actually is. The best I can say is fiscal conservative, but that may not be the actual case since fiscal policy was political gold in the 90's and its robust economy.

Who is Jon Huntsman? Because of this question, I can not talk much about him. Huntsman need media attention if he hopes to win the nomination.

This leaves Rick Perry and Mitt Romney. Perry was ok until he began to attack Romney in the first few debates. Add in Michelle Bachman's savaging of him and the perspective of Perry disintegrated in the public spotlight before he had a chance to establish himself. He did not help himself much with poor performances in other debates.

Romney did the opposite. Since he ran for the nomination in 2008, there was no need to establish himself in the public eye. The main problem with Romney is that he needs to develop some charisma and take care when he confronts the other candidates on the issues. As long as Romney does not come across as an angry rightwinger, he should beat out his competition. If you do not believe this recount how the other politicians that led in the pols(Bachmann, Gingrich, Perry) began to lose support after they began to attack Romney. Suggesting that Romeny, in the minds of most conservatives, is the fall back guy if their main choice does not make it.

Romney against Obama--Obama holds the advantage in Charisma, Romney holds the advantage in Resume(barring the fact that he was governor, not president) but given the current political circumstances, Resume should beat Charisma.

Understand, Obama can still win if he can encourage businesses to hire. This suggests that Obamas best strategy is to govern(and I mean govern as in set right economic policys NOW) to the economic right while encouraing his leftist base to continue supporting. A very difficult task considering that many on the left deem it political feasible to cast Obama as a corportists that used left wing propaganda to gain power.

As a centrist, my advice to Obama is to forget about the left, and give the business owners all the assurance they need to invest and start hiring. The moment the economy begins to swing up, so does Obama's ability to maintain the Whitehouse. The next 4 years should be Clintonesque in that case. Otherwise, Romney wins, The House and Senate will fall to the Republicans and the next 4 years will resemble the first four years of GWB's first term. I prefer the Clinton years, personally.

With the current unemployment numbers, the Republicans could run a cheese sandwich and win.

And that's just what they'e doing.

Look for Romney to go Bush by using national security to move the economy off the front page. I'm guessing the punching bag will be Iran. This is an old standby of the Republican political game. Reagan played Iran perfectly. In the back of the house he negotiated to have a delayed release of the hostages, while in the front of the house he played tough. In the front of the house he claimed to be against terrorism, in the back of the house he sold them weapons. How does the Conservative Movement get away with it? Easy. Through Talk Radio, FOX News, and the internet they have created an immensely loyal following of people who trust what government says - (Rightwing government, but government none the less). The Big Business/Conservative alliance owns over 70% of the media. Why do they own the media? Because the media is comprised of a handful of mega-corporations - all of whom want lower taxes and fewer regulations. The final phase of capitalism is monopolization whereby the market winners buy all the political and media assets of the state.

Game over.

Last edited:
With the current unemployment numbers, the Republicans could run a cheese sandwich and win.

And that's just what they'e doing.

Look for Romney to use the Bush strategy by using national security to push the economy off the front page. I'm guessing the punching bag will be Iran. This is an old standby of the Republican political game. Reagan played Iran perfectly. In the back of the house he negotiated to have a delayed release of the hostages, while in the front of the house he played tough. In the front of the house he claimed to be against terrorism, in the back of the house he sold them weapons. How does the Conservative Movement get away with it? Easy. Talk Radio, FOX News, and the internet. They own over 70% of the media. Why do they own the media? Because the media is comprised of a handful of mega-corporations - all of whom want lower taxes.

Game over.

Why would any Republican want to push the lousy economy off the front page? :cuckoo:

Romney needs to run on the economy and back off the neo-con chest thumping not only in the campaign but also in office. He has a real chance to win.

I think he will run on the economy, if he gets the nod. That ain't written in stone.

He can also ask America if they like the direction the country is headed. Most Americans don't like Barry's direction one bit. Ammo and Ammo.

Barry has a record now. Sucky as it is. Its his. Any rep running against him has that ammunition and loads of it to throw Barry's way.

Believe me they will be throwing hand granades and I doubt Barry will be able to dodge em.

I think he will run on the economy, if he gets the nod. That ain't written in stone.

He can also ask America if they like the direction the country is headed. Most Americans don't like Barry's direction one bit. Ammo and Ammo.

Barry has a record now. Sucky as it is. Its his. Any rep running against him has that ammunition and loads of it to throw Barry's way.

Believe me they will be throwing hand granades and I doubt Barry will be able to dodge em.

Willard has his own problems. Beyond the fact that Willard just comes off as a big stiff who has to be reminded to remove his pocket protector and unbutton the top button of his shirt
Willard basically has to run on President Obamas record. President Obama supports much of what Willard did while he was governor of Mass. Willard cannot compete on foreign policy and his plan for America sounds an awful lot like failed Bush policies

Willard is a second rate candidate at best

Rather like Barry was in 2008??

Your talking about Mitt.

I'm talking about any Rep who gets the nod. Nothing says it will be Mitt.

Any Rep who gets the nod from the GOP will have loads of ammunition to hurl at Barry Boy. He now has a record something he didn't have in 2008.

It sucks and don't think he don't know it.

Forum List

Back