Modern conservatives sympathizing with The Confederacy... Is this a thing now?

They've sympathized with the confederacy for a long time. Go down south and count how many confederate flags you see.
I live 'down south' (redundant) and our local huge car dealership had their humongous flags at half master in remembrance of the anniversary of Lincoln's death
Was one of them a confederate flag?

They simply cannot justify slavery though for it is morally, ethically, and legally wrong and always has been.

So the belief that States can secede from the union now means we believe in slavery.

Um...OK?

Have you ever been tested to see if you have an IQ?

That's the case they always try to make because they know their case is weak. Also, they're just plain stupid.

They've sympathized with the confederacy for a long time. Go down south and count how many confederate flags you see.

I have lived in the South a long time and I have hardly seen any Confederate flags ever. Liberal New England liberal racists just see what you want to see, don't you?

BTW, fiscal conservatives fled the Democratic party. The racists are still solidly with you, Adolph. Or should I say Grand Wizard? Whichever you prefer
I live in Virginia. A little down the road there's a gigantic confederate flag waving over I-95 365 days of the year. Go further south and the flags are everywhere. If you didn't see the confederate flag it's because you got used to it and didn't notice it anymore.

And let me correct you... SOCIAL conservatives left the Democrat party. They're your problem now.

I live 'down south' (redundant) and our local huge car dealership had their humongous flags at half master in remembrance of the anniversary of Lincoln's death
Nope.
I hadn't made the connection. I called to ask them why is how I found out.

Nope.
I never said there weren't good people in the south.

I am no conservative but Lincoln was a tyrant,war criminal and all around piece of shit. He started a war that cost HUNDREDS of thousands of deaths. We fly the confederate flag as a symbol of rebellion and non conformist ideals. I am damn proud of our southern heroes and soldiers every last one of them including great great great grandfathers who fought for our freedom. Rebel Bred,Rebel Born,Rebel till the day i'm dead!

"Modern conservatives sympathizing with The Confederacy... Is this a thing now?"

It's not a majority of conservatives but a significant number do romanticize the 'confederacy.'

This is of course typical of the reactionary right, seeking to return America to some idealized past that never actually existed to begin with.

"Modern conservatives sympathizing with The Confederacy... Is this a thing now?"

It's not a majority of conservatives but a significant number do romanticize the 'confederacy.'

This is of course typical of the reactionary right, seeking to return America to some idealized past that never actually existed to begin with.
Nothing 'reactionary' about pointing out that Lincoln was the same kind of republican you all accused Bush of being.
Except, instead of being "all about the oil', with Abe it was all about the tobacco, cotton and citrus besides having rule over even more real estate and port cities

I've seen at least three conservatives on this site talk about how Lincoln and the Union were wrong, and that the Confederacy should have been allowed to secede the way they did, and were on the right side of history..

Is this a popular stance among conservatives of today? Are they really pro-Confederacy when they look back on the Civil War? Or are there just a couple crazies here and there?

(This thread may also help the 'Gay Marriage' thread from being further derailed with Civil War arguments. Figured it was worth a shot haha)

First let's look at some facts.

1. This country was founded on the principles that free people should be able to govern themselves.

2. The Unites States of America is a plural term, indicating that is a union of free, independent, sovereign States.

3. The Federal Government and the Constitution are creations of the States.

4. The States didn't include anything in the Constitution that would prevent them from withdrawing from the Union if the State deemed in necessary for any reason. In fact the State of Virginia in their ratification of the original Constitution did so with a stipulation that they reserved the right to withdraw from the Union if their citizens felt it warranted.

Taking these facts into consideration the reasons the Confederates chose to succeed is irrelevant, they had every right to do so.

Lincoln is the one who decided to throw out our founding principles that a free people should be allowed to govern themselves and waged war against sovereign States. Lincoln was a tyrant in every sense of the word and by todays standards a war criminal as well, because he had his generals target civilian populations.

The victor writes the history, but they are not entitled to ignore the facts.

Who are the three conservatives you seen say that here? Just curious.

Well Britpat### and Where-r-my-keys (rough estimations of usernames) are two that I noticed today with Confederate sympathies. The third I noticed a couple days ago and I didn't respond to him/her, so I don't remember their username. "Conservative" was definitely part of the username, though.

They simply cannot justify slavery though for it is morally, ethically, and legally wrong and always has been.

So the belief that States can secede from the union now means we believe in slavery.

Um...OK?

Have you read the secession papers? Every last one of them stated slavery as the reason for secession.

Right, so now anyone who thinks States have the right to secede thinks that too, we want slavery.

I have lived in the South a long time and I have hardly seen any Confederate flags ever. Liberal New England liberal racists just see what you want to see, don't you?

BTW, fiscal conservatives fled the Democratic party. The racists are still solidly with you, Adolph. Or should I say Grand Wizard? Whichever you prefer
I live in Virginia. A little down the road there's a gigantic confederate flag waving over I-95 365 days of the year. Go further south and the flags are everywhere. If you didn't see the confederate flag it's because you got used to it and didn't notice it anymore.

And let me correct you... SOCIAL conservatives left the Democrat party. They're your problem now.

I didn't say there are no flags, just name one. I said you don't see them very often. Down south from Virginia is where i live, North Carolina. And I spent several years in Georgia. Yes, you see them, no, they are not common. And I go through Virgina on 95 regularly, where more precisely are you talking about?

Nope.
I never said there weren't good people in the south.

Aside from all the redneck bigots, you mean?

A perpetual Union was what was established. It is therefore clear that leaving the Union was not part of the deal.

All men are created equal is what the document stated.

The Constitution protects human rights against tyranny. Is there anything more tyrannical than slavery?

That's funny. I thought liberals belived that there were no moral absolutes. Everything is relative, you say. How dare you try to tell us we can't own slaves. Screw you.

A perpetual Union was what was established. It is therefore clear that leaving the Union was not part of the deal.

All men are created equal is what the document stated.

The Constitution protects human rights against tyranny. Is there anything more tyrannical than slavery?

The "perpetual union" phrase was used in the Articles of Confederation. It was so perpetual that Congress nullified it when it voted on the Constitution.

The Constitution doesn't say "all men are created equal." That's from the Declaration of Independence.

If the Constitution outlawed slavery, then why did it go on for 70 years prior to the Civil War?

You might have some credibility if you were actually familiar with the documents you referred to.

That's funny. I thought liberals belived that there were no moral absolutes. Everything is relative, you say. How dare you try to tell us we can't own slaves. Screw you.

Yep. According to libturds, rights are purely a creation of the government. How can slavery be wrong if no rights were violated?

A 'more perfect Union' was formed from the original. The Union was not abrogated.

It was not stated that all men's equality was written in the Constitution; the reference was to what a founding document says.

Many things, such as school segregation, persisted until confronted.

Forum List

Back