Modern conservatives sympathizing with The Confederacy... Is this a thing now?

If the British had won, slavery most likely would have ended by the 1840s or the 1850s, if not sooner.

That's a lot of maybes. First off, the British didn't fight the colonists to abolish slavery. Or to protect it. But to secure their territory. The abolition movement didn't begin among the British until after the Revolutionary War was already over. Making any issue of slavery irrelevant to the issues of the war even hypothetically without a silver Delorian or a blue police box.

Immediately invalidating your argument.

Second, the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 was motivated directly by the slave revolts in Jamaica in 1831. With the Colonies massively strengthening British military strength in the region its entirely possible that the revolts would have happened much later if at all. Or happening, would have caused far less damage and not motivated the Abolition Act of 1833.

Third, the Abolish Act of 1833 paid 20,000,000 pounds sterling in compensation for approximately 1 million slaves throughout the empire (with notable exceptions). There were DOUBLE that number in the Colonies alone. Meaning that the British empire would have triple its outlay for the same Abolition Act or dilute compensation by 2/3rds. There was massive resistance to the act based on both its massive cost (40% of all outlays for an entire year) and the low prince being offered.

The labor value of a slave in 1833 was about $70,000 dollars a year in 2011 dollars. The amount of money being offered in compensation was a one time payment of roughly $22,000 in 2011 dollars (19 pounds sterling per slave in 1833). And people almost lost their shit at how low it was.

Your assumption would cut that to roughly $7,300 per slave as you'd be tripling the number of slaves. Reducing the one time payment to 1/9th the slave's per year labor value.

People wouldn't 'almost' lose their shit. I argue people wouldn't have taken it. And I'd argue that the British would have known this. So when assessing the costs of abolishing slavery vs the benefits, the costs would have been far, far greater in your hypothetical time line. Even further reducing the odds of your hypothetical time line matching up with the real one.

The federal government sure saved a lot of money by starting a war that cost $5.2 billions in 1860 dollars, killing 850,000 people and utterly destroying half the country.

Yeah, that was a good decision! :rofl:

So, by what right did people own slaves?

Apparently the very basis that the South condemned: the right of violence. The strong over the weak.

By any semblance of consistency, the South is thoroughly fucked. As the south used enforcement of the law backed by violence as its basis for inflicting slavery. They can't really complain about enforcement of law backed by violence used against them.

Well, I suppose they could. But they'd be raising hypocrisy to an art form.

There was no law backing Lincoln's invasion. That's the irrefutable fact that you and all the Lincoln cult members are so desperately trying to ignore.

That one side won a war, does not mean they are operating from a MIght Makes Right principle.

That's exactly what might makes right means.

The Revolutionary War was actually a religious war with the Americans defending a belief that men had God given rights to equality and self-determination,

and England defending the belief in the divine right of Kings.
There's no such thing as a religious war. All wars are caused by competing economic interests and the protection or acquisition of resources. Anything short of that is not worth the cost.

So we can never blame the religion of Islam for causing, or inspiring, or perpetrating a war.
Terrorist acts yes, war no. Even wars involving Muslims aren't centered around religion. Did you miss this lesson in college? Did you even go?

When religion and the state are intertwined, wars are religious wars. To say there's never been any such thing as a religious war is preposterous.
You didn't go to college. Got it. No wonder you're so ignorant. I already explained why wars can never be based on religion. That you're too stupid to comprehend it or too much a bigot to consider it rationally is beyond my control.

The prejudice , assumptions and childish name calling of some posters is so glaring that even they should see it. For example, nowhere has this poster extolled the virtues of Lincoln nor stated that secession was clearly illegal (or legal). Statements have been made and questions posed trying to put the discussion in perspective. Most responding posters have interpreted these in that way.
I will state here that the crime of slavery is so heinous that little can be imagined to exceed it. Whatever it took to end it, and whoever suffered what as a result of having practiced it, is like the rapist; whatever happens to him he brought upon himself.
Just as in the world there are many 'evils' and 'causes' to go to war such as religion, oil, simple power, these would never convince me to 'take up arms'. But if there were a serious battle to free my sisters worldwide, once and for all from the awful oppression they have suffered for centuries, millennia, you might have a soldier here.

The prejudice , assumptions and childish name calling of some posters is so glaring that even they should see it. For example, nowhere has this poster extolled the virtues of Lincoln nor stated that secession was clearly illegal (or legal). Statements have been made and questions posed trying to put the discussion in perspective. Most responding posters have interpreted these in that way.
I will state here that the crime of slavery is so heinous that little can be imagined to exceed it. Whatever it took to end it, and whoever suffered what as a result of having practiced it, is like the rapist; whatever happens to him he brought upon himself.
Just as in the world there are many 'evils' and 'causes' to go to war such as religion, oil, simple power, these would never convince me to 'take up arms'. But if there were a serious battle to free my sisters worldwide, once and for all from the awful oppression they have suffered for centuries, millennia, you might have a soldier here.

In other words, you don't care what the law or the Constitution says.

Got it.

Tell us why anyone should waste his time discussing the issue with you?

Got it.

You apparently dont care what the constitution says. There is no right to secession in the constitution.

Ah another thread with morons screaming you can't leave na na na na na..

Yeah gratz on killing millions to prove that no one is allowed to leave unless we say they are allowed to leave.

Yeah gratz on killing millions to prove that no one is allowed to leave unless we say they are allowed to leave.
Leave.

Boats, planes, cars can take you away.

One way tickets about. Renounce your citizenship and say s'long gaters.

Nothing is stopping ya buddy.

Leave.

Texas can leave? WHOOOOTT!!!

Leave.

Texas is a geographical location, not a person.

You said "no one is allowed to leave" -- people can leave all they want.

Then why did the rebels kill so many?
Why did the rebels kill the murderers who came south to slaughter their families? Uhmmm... self defense?
Considering the rebels started the fighting you would be wrong.

Got it.

You apparently dont care what the constitution says. There is no right to secession in the constitution.

The Constitution doesn't mention secession, so how can anyone claim it isn't permitted? The theory that everything not expressly permitted is denied is the logic of morons.

Then why did the rebels kill so many?
Why did the rebels kill the murderers who came south to slaughter their families? Uhmmm... self defense?
Considering the rebels started the fighting you would be wrong.

Lincoln started the war, numskull.

Leave.

Texas is a geographical location, not a person.

You said "no one is allowed to leave" -- people can leave all they want.

Pretending to be stupid isn't a convincing argument.

Show one clear instance where this poster indicated disregard for the Constitution.

"I will state here that the crime of slavery is so heinous that little can be imagined to exceed it. Whatever it took to end it, and whoever suffered what as a result of having practiced it, is like the rapist; whatever happens to him he brought upon himself.
Just as in the world there are many 'evils' and 'causes' to go to war such as religion, oil, simple power, these would never convince me to 'take up arms'. But if there were a serious battle to free my sisters worldwide, once and for all from the awful oppression they have suffered for centuries, millennia, you might have a soldier here."

Forum List

Back