Mom: Southwest Airlines agent mocked 5-year-old girl's name 'Abcde'...they apologized

Naming your child “ABCDE” is child abuse! I thought “Sharkeisha” was bad. Smh.

You can name your kid anything you want. The stupid ass agent had ZERO business posting any passenger's name or information or photo on THEIR social media. It has privacy issues all over the damn place. Not to mention it could dangerous especially if the passenger is still enroute.

If this was a one off for this agent, give him/her a time out, without pay. If this is who they, fire their ass.

Last edited:
Really expected an Onion or HuffPo link.

They should have pushed the woman off the plane at cruising altitude.

Naming your fuckin kid Abcde and then being apoplectic when someone is bemused by it?

You deserve to smack terra firma at terminal velocity.

Asshole.

So you PICK ON THE KID because their parent is stupid? Is that how you roll?

Why would you think that it's justified when people whom you pay to provide you services behave in such an unprofessional and juvenile manner, particularly when it's directed at a child?

Do you think Southwest is apologizing because the behavior of these idiots was "justified"?

Regarding your signature. That was a SPECTACULAR piece of history and it still infuriates me to the marrow that I was 45 before I knew a GD thing about it. White men write history about other white men. (The textbook publishers were all white men too)

ABCDE is worthy of mocking. Attention whore and then all flighty when she gets it.

Why would you think that it's justified when people whom you pay to provide you services behave in such an unprofessional and juvenile manner, particularly when it's directed at a child?

Do you think Southwest is apologizing because the behavior of these idiots was "justified"?

Regarding your signature. That was a SPECTACULAR piece of history and it still infuriates me to the marrow that I was 45 before I knew a GD thing about it. White men write history about other white men. (The textbook publishers were all white men too)
Thank you and don't feel bad about not knowing about them. I was in college in a History of Aviation class when I first heard the term "Tuskegee Airman". My only knowledge of my grandfather since he died at the end of WWII was of his photo in uniform that had always been displayed on my grandmother's mantel. All I can recall being told from family was that he was a pilot who died in the war. It was quite an experience as it dawned on me while listening to my instructor describe this group of extremely talented and brave men to realize that my grandfather was one of these now famous "Tuskegee Airmen". And typitcally, there was one guy in class you flat out disputed that there was any such thing as a black pilot fighting for the Allies in WWII. He just did not believe our instructor, not even when I told him that my grandfather was a pilot who fought in WWII.

We have newspaper articles that were written about him from the 1940s as do many of the other families of these men so these are not just family stories. It's documented history.

Airline 'sorry' for mocking girl's name

"
Southwest Airlines apologises for mocking girl's name"

Usually when you see something about a US airline in the news, it's them doing something stupid.

This time I feel it's justified.

Southwest Airlines has apologised after a member of its staff mocked a five-year-old girl's name.

Traci Redford and her daughter, Abcde (pronounced ab-si-dee), were en route home to El Paso, Texas, from California's John Wayne Airport when the incident occurred.

Right..... here's the deal.

1) ce and ci can be pronounced like se and si. This comes from Latin via French via the 1066 Battle of Hastings and William the Conquerer taking over. Any Spanish speakers will know that ce and ci change to become soft sounds.

2) c+ consonant is ALWAYS a K sound.

So, her parents are dumb as hell thinking their daughter is ab-si-dee, when in fact she's abk-dee at the very best.

3) If I saw that, there's no way in hell I wouldn't be splashing it all over the internet.

I can't wait for Chlamydia to board that airline.
Parents who give their kids funny names should not be offended if people laugh

Someone summed up this situation perfectly: "If you have to say "my child's name is "X", it's pronounced "Y"" then you don't have a leg to stand on when someone either mixes it up or makes fun of it.

You mean like Siobahn? (shi-VAHN) Or Guenhwyvar? (GWEN-i-veer) Possibly Sean? Maybe Aoife? (EVE) Perhaps Saoirse? (SEER-sha) Or Nguyen? (NIM)

And yes, I have known people with all these names.

Naming your child “ABCDE” is child abuse! I thought “Sharkeisha” was bad. Smh.

You can name your kid anything you want. The stupid ass agent had ZERO business posting any passenger's name or information or photo on THEIR social media. It has privacy issues all over the damn place. Not to mention it could dangerous especially if the passenger is still enroute.

If this was a one off for this agent, give him/her a time out, without pay. If this is who they, fire their ass.
The agent was wrong to post the information

She was not wrong for laughing at a silly name

Thank you and don't feel bad about not knowing about them. I was in college in a History of Aviation class when I first heard the term "Tuskegee Airman". My only knowledge of my grandfather since he died at the end of WWII was of his photo in uniform that had always been displayed on my grandmother's mantel. All I can recall being told from family was that he was a pilot who died in the war. It was quite an experience as it dawned on me while listening to my instructor describe this group of extremely talented and brave men to realize that my grandfather was one of these now famous "Tuskegee Airmen". And typitcally, there was one guy in class you flat out disputed that there was any such thing as a black pilot fighting for the Allies in WWII. He just did not believe our instructor, not even when I told him that my grandfather was a pilot who fought in WWII.

We have newspaper articles that were written about him from the 1940s as do many of the other families of these men so these are not just family stories. It's documented history.
The heroics of the Tuskegee airmen are well documented. There have been several movies made. It is not obscure history

Southwest should have responded, "Yeah. It's a stupid fucking name." I guarantee you the only business they would have lost was this shitty parent, and her stupid kid.
Why are you attacking the kid?

The mother, yes. The kid had no choice in the thing.

Mocking a child is never the right thing to do.

It’s one thing to be amused by the spelling of the name. It’s another to be so unprofessional as to post about it on social media.

The agent shouldn’t necessarily be fired but she should face disciplinary action.

Forum List

Back