More oppression from government. Man fined 300/day for flying military flags

I don't ever recall having a right to operate a business and decorate it in a manner that looked tacky.

Why do you people hate the rights of cities to operate as they wish to operate?

He should have the right to display whatever the hell he wants to ON HIS PROPERTY. And how the fuck are military flags being displayed at a business that donates to military causes tacky?

On this one, I totally agree with you; display whatever you want on your own property. If you want to have cars parked in your lawn--YOUR LAWN--the government should have no opinion on it. Homeowners associations that you sign onto and deed restrictions are a different matter but governments should not have an opinion on it.
Why not? If that is what the people in the community as a whole want, why can't the "government" have an opinion on it?

Nah, he apparently doesn't have a problem not flying beer signs or welcome biker signs without a permit.

Flag flap has Holly Hill business owner 'Crazy' mad | News-JournalOnline.com

He wants special treatment for military flags. And he'll probably get it since this is in a very red part of Florida. Entitlement is what it is no matter how much you pretend otherwise.

Using your own property as you see fit is not an entitlement. An entitlement is being given something that you previously did not have, and this obviously does not fall under that category. That he may or may not be completely philosophically pure on the issue is irrelevant. The city has no right to say he can't fly his flags, or any other sign, flag, or what have you, on his own property. It's that simple, no matter how much you pretend otherwise.
Bull. Plenty of cities have regulations about what can and cannot be displayed by businesses. In fact I'd be willing to bet that ALL of them have such regulations.

That something is a certain way doesn't mean that it's right.

Using your own property as you see fit is not an entitlement. An entitlement is being given something that you previously did not have, and this obviously does not fall under that category. That he may or may not be completely philosophically pure on the issue is irrelevant. The city has no right to say he can't fly his flags, or any other sign, flag, or what have you, on his own property. It's that simple, no matter how much you pretend otherwise.
Bull. Plenty of cities have regulations about what can and cannot be displayed by businesses. In fact I'd be willing to bet that ALL of them have such regulations.

So in your opinion, I could fly in front of my business anything whatsoever I wanted to fly? Doesn't matter what the community thinks, doesn't matter what their democratically elected representatives did in an effort to keep the city up to certain standards? All that matters is me, me, me?

He should have the right to display whatever the hell he wants to ON HIS PROPERTY. And how the fuck are military flags being displayed at a business that donates to military causes tacky?

On this one, I totally agree with you; display whatever you want on your own property. If you want to have cars parked in your lawn--YOUR LAWN--the government should have no opinion on it. Homeowners associations that you sign onto and deed restrictions are a different matter but governments should not have an opinion on it.
Why not? If that is what the people in the community as a whole want, why can't the "government" have an opinion on it?

Laws protect the minority. Popular speech have no need of protection, unpopular speech needs protection.

What if a bunch of right handers wanted to kick all left handers out of the town, took a vote, and won by one ballot...could they do that?

Nah, he apparently doesn't have a problem not flying beer signs or welcome biker signs without a permit.

He wants special treatment for military flags. And he'll probably get it since this is in a very red part of Florida. Entitlement is what it is no matter how much you pretend otherwise.

Curious...can you give an example?

I say, lock him up and throw away the key! He's clearly a threat to our way of life. Where's Homeland Security? Why aren't they all over this guy? Who does he think he is?

Laws protect the minority. Popular speech have no need of protection, unpopular speech needs protection.

What if a bunch of right handers wanted to kick all left handers out of the town, took a vote, and won by one ballot...could they do that?

No they couldn't. I think you are confusing issues. They aren't saying this man needs a permit for certain types of banners, flags, etc. He needs one for ANY type of flag, banner, etc. Last time I checked, a business doesn't enjoy the same rights as an individual. If this was the man's home I'd agree with you to a certain extent.

out here in Anaheim.....you cant put up Temporary signs outside of your business to advertise a sale or a grand opening....period....you cant do it,they think it does not look good......but during election time, there are signs for every dam person running and all the propositions.......these things are everywhere,sometimes 20 on a street corner and it makes the area where they are at look like shit.....and after the Election they are there sometimes for weeks.....talk about looking tacky.....its funny how the city allows that but not an owner putting one sign up on his property ............

Believe it or not, some municipalities do try to regulate sign placement but since it is a benefit to politicians that will probably never happen.

A Right of Way for Campaign Signs? | Campaigns & Elections

one of the complaints i have is they don't make the people who put the signs up take them down after the election is over.....usually weeks later the gardeners will be told to do it...

Curious...can you give an example?
How many do you want? Here's the first one that popped up when I googled "business sign regulations"

Sign Ordinance FAQs

out here in Anaheim.....you cant put up Temporary signs outside of your business to advertise a sale or a grand opening....period....you cant do it,they think it does not look good......but during election time, there are signs for every dam person running and all the propositions.......these things are everywhere,sometimes 20 on a street corner and it makes the area where they are at look like shit.....and after the Election they are there sometimes for weeks.....talk about looking tacky.....its funny how the city allows that but not an owner putting one sign up on his property ............

Believe it or not, some municipalities do try to regulate sign placement but since it is a benefit to politicians that will probably never happen.

A Right of Way for Campaign Signs? | Campaigns & Elections

one of the complaints i have is they don't make the people who put the signs up take them down after the election is over.....usually weeks later the gardeners will be told to do it...

Totally agree. Especially the winners....if anyone was going to try to appear honest and community spirited it should be the ones that won the election.

This reminds me of when the Nanny Staters got smoking in restaurants & bars banned. Imagine not being allowed to smoke in your own restaurant or bar? Here you are a good honest taxpaying Citizen, yet you're treated like a common criminal by your Government. I still don't get why Americans rolled over so easily on that one. It only encouraged Big Government Nanny Staters to go further. And now they're completely out of control. Can it be reversed? I just don't know.
i think that happened because so many people dont like cigarettes...

So in your opinion, I could fly in front of my business anything whatsoever I wanted to fly? Doesn't matter what the community thinks, doesn't matter what their democratically elected representatives did in an effort to keep the city up to certain standards? All that matters is me, me, me?

Precisely. That's what private property means. The community does not own this establishment, this man does. Thus, the man gets to decide what goes on his property.

What if the community decided that all the homeless people in the area were to be given residence at your house, a ridiculous notion to be sure, would you sit back and say, "Well, the people have spoken?" Now I only ask such a ridiculous hypothetical because you refused to answer my question about how far the "right to regulation" extends, and it seems that your criteria is simply majority rule. So are you willing to take that to its logical conclusion?

No they couldn't. I think you are confusing issues. They aren't saying this man needs a permit for certain types of banners, flags, etc. He needs one for ANY type of flag, banner, etc. Last time I checked, a business doesn't enjoy the same rights as an individual. If this was the man's home I'd agree with you to a certain extent.

Private property, whether it's a home or a place of business, is private property. You're creating a distinction without a difference.

Precisely. That's what private property means. The community does not own this establishment, this man does. Thus, the man gets to decide what goes on his property.

What if the community decided that all the homeless people in the area were to be given residence at your house, a ridiculous notion to be sure, would you sit back and say, "Well, the people have spoken?" Now I only ask such a ridiculous hypothetical because you refused to answer my question about how far the "right to regulation" extends, and it seems that your criteria is simply majority rule. So are you willing to take that to its logical conclusion?

That would violate my rights, though. This man, though he pretends otherwise, is not having his rights violated. There is no right for a business to display whatever it wants to display in public view. If they were telling him he couldn't fly his flags inside his business I'd agree with you.

Private property, whether it's a home or a place of business, is private property. You're creating a distinction without a difference.
Not really. If you are making money off the general public then your business isn't private in the same sense that someone's home is private.

Not to mention that for all we know this guy is leasing.

This reminds me of when the Nanny Staters got smoking in restaurants & bars banned. Imagine not being allowed to smoke in your own restaurant or bar? Here you are a good honest taxpaying Citizen, yet you're treated like a common criminal by your Government. I still don't get why Americans rolled over so easily on that one. It only encouraged Big Government Nanny Staters to go further. And now they're completely out of control. Can it be reversed? I just don't know.
i think that happened because so many people dont like cigarettes...

I hear ya. But it's your restaurant/bar. You work hard, provide jobs, and pay your taxes. You should have the right to decide whether or not you want to allow smoking in your establishment. Hopefully, this Nanny/Police State course can be reversed. It's getting so out of hand.

I don't ever recall having a right to operate a business and decorate it in a manner that looked tacky.

Why do you people hate the rights of cities to operate as they wish to operate?

MY GOD I can't believe how stupid you are....

If a business "looks tacky", people won't GO THERE.

Fascist asshole sucking parasites like you want to regulate what "looks tacky"?
There aren't words strong enough since Sanskrit that I could use to tell you how hard you can go fuck yourself and the horse you rode out of hell on.

You "think" cities have rights? I suppose the collective farmers of North Korea have "rights too.

Fuck... how do morons like this survive childhood? We really need to get those child proof lids off the DRANO.
Aren't you cute.

Thanks, but you're still stupid.

So the guy has non-profit status and according to his website he endorses candidates and is in fact running for office himself?

There is something fishy going on.

Unfortunately, i envision a day when Big Brother and his wealthy Corporate friends will have seized all private land property previously owned by the Poor/Middle Class. Then the People will have absolutely no rights. Because they will own nothing. There will be no such thing as Private Property for the Poor/Middle Class. Only the very rich and the Government will be allowed to own private property. But then again, i've been accused of being paranoid from time to time. ;)

Forum List

Back