More record temps

I will go as far as to say that this year shouldn't be within the top 20 if a strong nina develops before the years out. Going to be a very cold year.

Seriously? The facts seem to indicate otherwise:

January 2011 Temperature anomaly
(temp above 1971 - 2000 baseline average)
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for January 2011 was 0.38°C (0.68°F) above the 20th century average of 12.0°C (53.6°F). This is the 17th warmest January on record.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | January 2011

February 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for February 2011 was 0.40°C (0.72°F) above the 20th century average of 12.1°C (53.9°F). This ties for the 17th warmest such value on record.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | February 2011

March 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for March 2011 was the 13th warmest on record at 13.19°C (55.78°F), which is 0.49°C (0.88°F) above the 20th century average of 12.7°C (54.9°F). This was also the 35th consecutive March with global land and ocean temperatures above the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | March 2011

April 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for April 2011 was the seventh warmest April on record at 14.29°C (57.76°F), which is 0.59°C (1.06°F) above the 20th century average of 13.7°C (56.7°F). This was also the 35th consecutive April with global land and ocean temperatures above the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | April 2011

May 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for May 2011 was 0.50°C (0.90°F) above the 20th century average of 14.8°C (58.6°F). This is the 10th warmest such value since records began in 1880. For March–May 2011, the combined global land and ocean surface temperature was 0.53°C (0.95°F) above average—also the 10th warmest March–May on record. The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for January–May 2011 was the 12th warmest on record. The year-to-date period was 0.48°C (0.86°F) warmer than the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | May 2011

June 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for June 2011 was the seventh warmest on record at 16.08°C (60.94°F), which is 0.58°C (1.04°F) above the 20th century average of 15.5°C (59.9°F). June 2011 was the 316th consecutive month with a global temperature above the 20th century average. The last month with below-average temperature was February 1985. The June worldwide average land surface temperature was 0.89°C (1.60°F) above the 20th century average of 13.3°C (55.9°F)—the fourth warmest on record. The global average ocean surface temperature was the 10th warmest June on record, at 0.47°C (0.85°F) above average. Neither El Niño nor La Niña conditions were present during June 2011. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, these ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. The first half of 2011 (January–June) was the 11th warmest on record for the combined global land and ocean surface temperature. Separately, the worldwide average ocean temperature was also the 11th warmest January–June and the worldwide average land temperature was the 12th warmest such period.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | June 2011

July 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for July 2011 was the seventh warmest on record, at 16.37°C (61.43°F), which is 0.57°C (1.03°F) above the 20th century average of 15.8°C (60.4°F). The July worldwide land surface temperature was 0.84°C (1.51°F) above the 20th century average of 14.3°C (57.8°F)—the fifth warmest July on record. The worldwide ocean surface temperature was 0.47°C (0.85°F) above the 20th century average of 16.4°C (61.5°F)—the 11th warmest July on record. Neither El Niño nor La Niña conditions were present during July 2011. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. For the year-to-date, the global combined land and ocean surface temperature of 14.31°C (57.82°F) was the 11th warmest January–July period on record. This value is 0.51°C (0.92°F) above the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | July 2011

That looks like 17th, 17th, 13th, 7th, 10th, 7th, and 7th, with a combined average already equalling the 11th warmest year on record with a combined anomaly of 0.51°C (0.92°F) above the 20th century average, and you are predicting this year won't make the top 20?
How strong are your convictions, what kind of odds are you offering?

If this year had a global avg means of 2008 it should be 20th or below if a strong nina develops. No way in hell will it be within the top 10 if it didn't warm since.

You can send them a check. But keep your damn hands out of my wallet.

You may want to give your tax money to the people already earning record profits, and then pay more taxes to clean up their mess, personally, I rather spend my money as I see fit, rather than making it rain on crony capitalists with no interest in this nation or any its citizens.

The rich people, huh? I see there is class envy going on with some. :eusa_whistle:

I will go as far as to say that this year shouldn't be within the top 20 if a strong nina develops before the years out. Going to be a very cold year.

Seriously? The facts seem to indicate otherwise:

January 2011 Temperature anomaly
(temp above 1971 - 2000 baseline average)
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for January 2011 was 0.38°C (0.68°F) above the 20th century average of 12.0°C (53.6°F). This is the 17th warmest January on record.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | January 2011

February 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for February 2011 was 0.40°C (0.72°F) above the 20th century average of 12.1°C (53.9°F). This ties for the 17th warmest such value on record.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | February 2011

March 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for March 2011 was the 13th warmest on record at 13.19°C (55.78°F), which is 0.49°C (0.88°F) above the 20th century average of 12.7°C (54.9°F). This was also the 35th consecutive March with global land and ocean temperatures above the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | March 2011

April 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for April 2011 was the seventh warmest April on record at 14.29°C (57.76°F), which is 0.59°C (1.06°F) above the 20th century average of 13.7°C (56.7°F). This was also the 35th consecutive April with global land and ocean temperatures above the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | April 2011

May 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for May 2011 was 0.50°C (0.90°F) above the 20th century average of 14.8°C (58.6°F). This is the 10th warmest such value since records began in 1880. For March–May 2011, the combined global land and ocean surface temperature was 0.53°C (0.95°F) above average—also the 10th warmest March–May on record. The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for January–May 2011 was the 12th warmest on record. The year-to-date period was 0.48°C (0.86°F) warmer than the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | May 2011

June 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for June 2011 was the seventh warmest on record at 16.08°C (60.94°F), which is 0.58°C (1.04°F) above the 20th century average of 15.5°C (59.9°F). June 2011 was the 316th consecutive month with a global temperature above the 20th century average. The last month with below-average temperature was February 1985. The June worldwide average land surface temperature was 0.89°C (1.60°F) above the 20th century average of 13.3°C (55.9°F)—the fourth warmest on record. The global average ocean surface temperature was the 10th warmest June on record, at 0.47°C (0.85°F) above average. Neither El Niño nor La Niña conditions were present during June 2011. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, these ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. The first half of 2011 (January–June) was the 11th warmest on record for the combined global land and ocean surface temperature. Separately, the worldwide average ocean temperature was also the 11th warmest January–June and the worldwide average land temperature was the 12th warmest such period.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | June 2011

July 2011 Temperature anomaly
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for July 2011 was the seventh warmest on record, at 16.37°C (61.43°F), which is 0.57°C (1.03°F) above the 20th century average of 15.8°C (60.4°F). The July worldwide land surface temperature was 0.84°C (1.51°F) above the 20th century average of 14.3°C (57.8°F)—the fifth warmest July on record. The worldwide ocean surface temperature was 0.47°C (0.85°F) above the 20th century average of 16.4°C (61.5°F)—the 11th warmest July on record. Neither El Niño nor La Niña conditions were present during July 2011. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. For the year-to-date, the global combined land and ocean surface temperature of 14.31°C (57.82°F) was the 11th warmest January–July period on record. This value is 0.51°C (0.92°F) above the 20th century average.
State of the Climate | Global Analysis | July 2011

That looks like 17th, 17th, 13th, 7th, 10th, 7th, and 7th, with a combined average already equalling the 11th warmest year on record with a combined anomaly of 0.51°C (0.92°F) above the 20th century average, and you are predicting this year won't make the top 20?
How strong are your convictions, what kind of odds are you offering?

If this year had a global avg means of 2008 it should be 20th or below if a strong nina develops. No way in hell will it be within the top 10 if it didn't warm since.

From "shouldn't be within the top 20" to "No way in hell will it be within the top 10" is a heck of a back-peddle in the span of a couple of posts,...I guess your convictions aren't as strong as your rhetoric.

No, what I mean is if it hadn't warmed since 2008 there is no way this year should be within the top 20. 2008 started out with a strong nina, but went neutral, but this year is already going back to nina.

Supporting evidence for this assertion? The already cited NOAA references indicate that this year is in a neutral phase with regards to the pacific basin southern oscillation pattern, and seem to believe that it will remain so throughout most of the Fall, at the least.

...According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, these ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. The first half of 2011 (January–June) was the 11th warmest on record for the combined global land and ocean surface temperature...
...Neither El Niño nor La Niña conditions were present during July 2011. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. For the year-to-date, the global combined land and ocean surface temperature of 14.31°C (57.82°F) was the 11th warmest January–July period on record...

Of course its possible that we might slip back into la nina, or we could transition to the coming el nino, looking closely at the trends, however, it most closely resembles 2008 where we slipped into a neutral phase about mid-year and remained that way through the winter until the spring of 2009 when we transitioned fully into an el nino condition. Current three month projections call for slightly cooler than normal along the SW coast, much higher than normal through the deep south, southwest and up into the heartland, about average everywhere else.

No, what I mean is if it hadn't warmed since 2008 there is no way this year should be within the top 20. 2008 started out with a strong nina, but went neutral, but this year is already going back to nina.

Supporting evidence for this assertion? The already cited NOAA references indicate that this year is in a neutral phase with regards to the pacific basin southern oscillation pattern, and seem to believe that it will remain so throughout most of the Fall, at the least.

...According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, these ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. The first half of 2011 (January–June) was the 11th warmest on record for the combined global land and ocean surface temperature...
...Neither El Niño nor La Niña conditions were present during July 2011. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, ENSO-neutral conditions are expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011. For the year-to-date, the global combined land and ocean surface temperature of 14.31°C (57.82°F) was the 11th warmest January–July period on record...

Of course its possible that we might slip back into la nina, or we could transition to the coming el nino, looking closely at the trends, however, it most closely resembles 2008 where we slipped into a neutral phase about mid-year and remained that way through the winter until the spring of 2009 when we transitioned fully into an el nino condition. Current three month projections call for slightly cooler than normal along the SW coast, much higher than normal through the deep south, southwest and up into the heartland, about average everywhere else.

nino34Mon.gif

cpc forecasts a strong nina by fall. Meaning that this year will very likely turn out a lot cooler within the tropics then 2008. Believe me I know a thing or to about meteorology as I've spent my life watching it closely. Weather nut supreme here. :eek:

Within the past 2 months we've went from 0c within 3.4 to -.5c, which is borderline Nina. We only need 3 months of such to get a upgrade to nina at the current 3.4 temps. So Unofficially la nina is already here.

That is just the point, 2008 slipped into a neutral phase about May-June frame throughout the rest of the year, but if the above proves true then this year will be a lot cooler within the tropics. That is all I was saying....You can argue why it has warmed all you went, but it has if this year gets within the top 10 with a strong nina the last 3 months of this year if the noaa is right. The means of the models are near -1.6 to -1.8c, which would put us near 2008, 2010-2011 nina events. Theses are some of the strongest nina events since the 70's.

Pretty much what I said is if this occurs and we manage to stay within the top 20 with noaa ranking for 2008 was like 16 then the earth has WARMED SINCE 2008. We have had global warming. That would be data supporting global warming since then.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I said is if this occurs and we manage to stay within the top 20 with noaa ranking for 2008 was like 16 then the earth has WARMED SINCE 2008. We have had global warming. That would be data supporting global warming since then.

A small correction, please.

2010 tied with 2005 as the warmest year, so now 2008 is currently ranked as the 11th warmest year on record. Every year out the last 13 years, except one, is on the list of the top 13 warmest years on record. Every single year of the last decade is among the top ten warmest years on record. The last three decades have each, in turn, been the warmest decade on record and they are now ranked 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the list of the warmest decades since the late 1800's. It is so f**king hilarious when the denier cultists ask: "Where's the warming trend?" Reminds me of an old proverb - “There are none so blind as those that will not see”

Warmest Years

BTW, I think you're going to be proved wrong about the ranking of 2011 but let's wait a few months and see what happens. I still think this year will wind up being among the top few warmest years, if it doesn't manage to set a new record even in spite of the ENSO neutral or possible El Nino conditions later in the year. Time will tell but so far 2011 has been setting a lot of records. Of course the overall trend is more important than the individual rankings of the years since those do vary a bit due to all of the other climate factors, like the La Nina/El Nino oscillation in the Pacific, etc.. The planetary temperature trend is unmistakably upward though and it is a sure bet that we will see even hotter years setting new records in this next decade and probably fairly soon. The consequences will probably be somewhat catastrophic for many people around the world in many different ways but unfortunately, that will be only the beginning.

Last edited:

A small correction, please.

2010 tied with 2005 as the warmest year, so now 2008 is currently ranked as the 11th warmest year on record. Every year out the last 13 years, except one, is on the list of the top 13 warmest years on record. Every single year of the last decade is among the top ten warmest years on record. The last three decades have each, in turn, been the warmest decade on record and they are now ranked 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the list of the warmest decades since the late 1800's. It is so f**king hilarious when the denier cultists ask: "Where's the warming trend?" Reminds me of an old proverb - “There are none so blind as those that will not see”

Warmest Years

BTW, I think you're going to be proved wrong about the ranking of 2011 but let's wait a few months and see what happens. I still think this year will wind up being among the top few warmest years, if it doesn't manage to set a new record even in spite of the ENSO neutral or possible El Nino conditions later in the year. Time will tell but so far 2011 has been setting a lot of records. Of course the overall trend is more important than the individual rankings of the years since those do vary a bit due to all of the other climate factors, like the La Nina/El Nino oscillation in the Pacific, etc.. The planetary temperature trend is unmistakably upward though and it is a sure bet that we will see even hotter years setting new records in this next decade and probably fairly soon. The consequences will probably be somewhat catastrophic for many people around the world in many different ways but unfortunately, that will be only the beginning.

So..........ummmm............whats the point s0n? Pissing contests are gay.

Whats the attitude of the public in 2011 with the alarmist bomb throwers?

MEH

614-1.jpg

You may want to give your tax money to the people already earning record profits, and then pay more taxes to clean up their mess, personally, I rather spend my money as I see fit, rather than making it rain on crony capitalists with no interest in this nation or any its citizens.
It's no coincidence that every "solution" to global warming is political...because it's not about the environment, it's about political power.

I repeat: Keep your damn hands out of my wallet. You're not getting my money to fund your fantasy.

The rich people, huh? I see there is class envy going on with some. :eusa_whistle:

Well, ultimately the GW fraud is about taking money from the First World population and giving it to Third World dictators, but of course they are incompetent so their money will have to be "managed" for them by the elite who know what's best for us........right? Riiiiiiiiight.

It's no coincidence that every "solution" to global warming is political...because it's not about the environment, it's about political power.

I repeat: Keep your damn hands out of my wallet. You're not getting my money to fund your fantasy.

The only way the idea of not burning fossil fuels in open-cycle combustion systems is poolitical, is because the companies making a profit off of this process are spending a lot of money in an attempt to keep making those profits into the future. I don't want to spend more money than I have to in taxes to clean up the mess of companies that were already sucking my tax dollars in political incentives while earning historic profits. So make these companies pay their way and pay to clean up the messes that result from their profit making ventures,...keep your damn hands out of my wallet, your not getting my money to fund your greed.

Many here prove that you don't have to be "rich" to be stupid or greedy, and I don't envy the stupid or greedy.

Many here prove that you don't have to be "rich" to be stupid or greedy, and I don't envy the stupid or greedy.

uh-huh

The only way the idea of not burning fossil fuels in open-cycle combustion systems is poolitical, is because the companies making a profit off of this process are spending a lot of money in an attempt to keep making those profits into the future. I don't want to spend more money than I have to in taxes to clean up the mess of companies that were already sucking my tax dollars in political incentives while earning historic profits. So make these companies pay their way and pay to clean up the messes that result from their profit making ventures,...keep your damn hands out of my wallet, your not getting my money to fund your greed.
Hey, dumbass: HALF the electricity in America comes from burning coal. All your leftist wet dream fantasies about alternative sources are just that: Fantasies. You have NOTHING that is practical, economical, and scalable. NOTHING.

Your unicorns farting rainbows making this a perfect coal-free world just isn't ever going to happen.

Welcome to reality. I know you don't recognize it.

Hey, dumbass: HALF the electricity in America comes from burning coal. All your leftist wet dream fantasies about alternative sources are just that: Fantasies. You have NOTHING that is practical, economical, and scalable. NOTHING.

Your unicorns farting rainbows making this a perfect coal-free world just isn't ever going to happen.

Take away all the tax money we are spending to subsidize coal and make those who use it pay the cost of cleaning up the mess created burning their product, and suddenly nearly every alternative energy source is more than competitive. The only way coal and oil can compete in the market is where the market has failed to include true and actual costs of use and production and depends upon tax payer money to generate private sales and profits. Are you a free-market capitalist or aren't you?

Take away all the tax money we are spending to subsidize coal and make those who use it pay the cost of cleaning up the mess created burning their product, and suddenly nearly every alternative energy source is more than competitive. The only way coal and oil can compete in the market is where the market has failed to include true and actual costs of use and production and depends upon tax payer money to generate private sales and profits. Are you a free-market capitalist or aren't you?

You aren't naive enough to believe that when the the money loopholes are taken away that they won't just raise the price to consumers are you? Come on, Trakar, get with the real world and not your utopia that you dream about.

You aren't naive enough to believe that when the the money loopholes are taken away that they won't just raise the price to consumers are you? Come on, Trakar, get with the real world and not your utopia that you dream about.
These idiots seem to think that if they ask "Why not?" enough times, reality will change for them.

I wish they'd try it with gravity.

Forum List

Back