More record temps

Top 10 sept for RSS(9th)...Mostly because UAH includes 90 percent of Antarctica and this includes nearly none of it. The tropics have a bigger stake within rss then UAH because of this.

2011 9 0.288

I just had three inches of snow fall this morning. Earliest ever since I've been here. Of course I'm positive that snow arrived earlier in the distant past but I'm going to use a AGW proponents metric and only care about ME!:lol:

Record Events for Thu Sep 29, 2011 through Wed Oct 5, 2011

High Temperatures: 438
Low Temperatures: 149

HAMweather Climate Center - Record High Temperatures for The Past Week - Continental US View

Earliest start for WINTER that anyone around here can remember!

The Sierra region is under the first winter storm warning of the season today as a cold and aggressive storm system moves through the area.

While it's not cold enough to bring the snow level all the way down to the lowest valley elevations during the day today, we could see some flakes mix in overnight tonight as our low temperatures will drop into the 30s for the first time in a long time.

But it still will be the mountains that receive the lion's share of this storm "» possibly as much as a foot of snow in some areas when it's all said and done.

The amount of rain we get down here will be significantly less than its water equivalent up in the hills because of the rain shadow.

There's often a misconception when it comes to what causes the rain shadow. Many think that the mountains simply block the water in the air from getting over into the valley, but that's not the case.

I'll tell you how it really works on Thursday.

Ask Mike Alger a question at [email protected].

Attachments

• $SNOW.jpg
    $SNOW.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 24
Looks like the weather was just letting Walleyes know what it thinks of him. Look at the map, he is isolated, with most of the rest getting warm weather

HAMweather Climate Center - Record Events for The Past Week - Continental US View

Yes, you can clearly make out the cold front that extends from pretty much the entire west coast, through Colorado and and the rest of the middle midwest and then on up to the north east US. The warm areas are high midwest and lower midwest.

In other words the majority of the US is cold. Also please notice up in your neck of the woods those red dots right next to cold dots. How much you want to bet that those are weather stations sited on airports and other hot spots.

Map reading isn't a strong point with you is it.

LOL. The blue dots are low max temps, not record lows. And it is very possible in the areas East of the Cascades in Oregon to have both cheek and jowl.

But you knew that, right?

Yep, it is cold right now for Eastern Oregon. Saw snow, briefly, down to 3000 ft Wedsnesday. All kinds of Portland hunters packing up and heading home. Funny. Now is the best time to hunt, the weather will be bringing the big deer down from the high country. Even saw over 60 head of Elk down low.

Has anyone noticed a change in the climate where they are? What is different? How are things different? Is their a big change? Very curious if people have been feeling anything.

-TakePart

Yes. I was born in '43. Have lived in various parts of Oregon and Washington all of my life. Also have traveled extensively in the Western States.

The winters in Eastern Oregon are far warmer than they used to be. Seneca had, routinely, temps below -40 in my youth. Today, a very cold year results in a few nights with -30 temps.

Seneca Oregons Icebox

Seneca is quite capable of generating a week-long string of 40 below zero nights in any sizeable Arctic cold snap; the last time it did so was in 1989 (the year the Exxon Valdez oil tanker ran aground in Alaska). Officially, Seneca has been down to 54 below zero F; unofficial Old Timer reports from before the establishment of the official weather station recorded 60 below zero in the Big Cold Snap of 1927, and 1924 is also mentioned as a year where it likely was lower than 55 below, and one wonders also about early December 1919, when many records were set that still stand today, eg. Yakima, WA at 24 below on Dec. 13th........Back in 1931 Seneca came onto the weather reporting stage with a bang, and soon was setting State records left and right, eg. during the very nasty winter of 1931-32, where the lonely town was hit with what appear to be four sucessive arctic air invasions... seeing 30 below Nov. 29, more serious cold Dec. 15 where it went to 38 below, then worse yet January 23 at 41 below, and finally a late winter smash perhaps still not equalled in Oregon history, a 49 below on February 14, 1932..... Due to Seneca's known potential to set a new State temperature record even colder than 54 below, the Weather Service in 1995 installed a special type of arctic thermometer at Seneca, capable of reading directly to 60 below zero without error (but will "Global Warming" make this pointless, see bottom of this page).

Also, Prairie City has apricots and grape vines now, something that was simply not there in my youth. Snows go off ealier, and start later. This year and last year are exceptions to that. La Nina.

On the Washington and Oregon coasts, and inland valleys, more thunderstorms than I remember when we lived there in the 50s and 60s.

My Great Grandfather settled in Eastern Oregon about 1870. My grandfather was born there in 1888. My mother, in 1926. My grandfather told me that in his youth the area was colder and wetter than it was later in his life. He said the change started about the same time as WW1. The high dessert south of the John Day Valley also saw similiar changes. Much reduced carrying capacity for grazing cows and sheep after the '20s.

HaHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA..

Pathetic, you get a sock to bump threads and ask setup questions like that? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

No, they are not there for my computer, and I did what you said to do to see them. Posted what I saw, also.

Well if ya did it the way I told ya too you would, he does now... So....Awkward huh... :cuckoo:

Socks I think you need to read up on things before you run off at the mouth on me...:lol:

Forum List

Back