More Store Closings In 2021

"Banana Republic" -- so brilliantly named. What's not to love?
the company name at first struck some as disrespectful:

"James Sterba rightfully ridicules the pseudotropical clothes that Banana Republic sells at exorbitant prices (arts page, Jan. 22). Mr. Sterba is on the right track but he does not go far enough. Naming stores Banana Republic belittles the people who labored on the plantations in the so-called banana republics of Central America and it belittles the governments of those countries that perhaps were trying to promote development. Development of a country based on a single crop is what yields a banana republic. The role of U.S. corporations was crucial to the dependency that emerged on the banana crop. That's why selling fancy clothes in a Banana Republic is offensive."
The Wall Street Journal (letter to editor), 26 Feb. 1987
By coincidence, a series of violent political dramas in Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua exploded into international notoriety at the very moment of Banana Republic’s founding. The often appalling headlines may have lent an edge to the company’s image but did not impede its growing success.

Goodwill is closing because they cannot compete with brand new stolen merchandise.
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how do they get a hold of stolen property? I thought that pawn shops are where the stolen things are taken to because you can get money for whatever you're bringing in?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

We hate CRONY CAPITALISM (fascism), but we love legit capitalism.

Funny how you support the fascists.

Well....not really.

CRONY CAPITALISM is just an empty buzz word your party masters told you to use for any company that does bow down to them. All you do is parrot the words you are told to parrot and do not even know what they mean.

You have no fucking clue what a fascists if you think Amazon is fascists.

How fucking stupid can you people be.

CRONY CAPITALISM is just an empty buzz word your party masters told you to use for any company that does bow down to them. All you do is parrot the words you are told to parrot and do not even know what they mean.

The winners of these Trillion dollar bills to SAVE US are lining up at the trough already. Crony Capitalism is REAL. The Politicians pick and choose the winners in this country. Destroy anyone whe threatens the Money Laundering Cabal.

You know it if you just looked. We need to stamp their asses like NASCAR funders for WHO OWNS THEM.

2 BS impeachments yet 4 members who voted to impeach had kids and relatives Laundering money in Ukraine. But nothing happens to them while the Media goes a Hooker peed on Trump .......We know because RUSSIA TOLD US .........

LOL

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how do they get a hold of stolen property? I thought that pawn shops are where the stolen things are taken to because you can get money for whatever you're bringing in?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
You are not correct. Stolen goods are sold on line, at swap meets, garage sales, and street vendors out of the trunks of cars. No sales tax is collected either.

Brick and mortar closings have been going on for years mainly due to online shopping. The plague hastened it, but this was inevitable.

I work for a bank. We've closed hundreds of branches over the past couple of years because of the rise of online banking. The number of people walking into a physical bank branch has dropped 75%

We are solely online shoppers now. No longer the need to go in. It's so convenient. These are new times. Why would anyone want to go in a store with people when we can buy the same thing on a computer? That and we have really cut back on the amount of shopping we do which helps the nation as a whole.

Looks like you'd have to read the article to find out the answer to your first question. LOL people paying rent on what retail pays. This is America where people dont get paid enough to pay their bills. Get with the program.
We were sold by our political class and others that the service economy was to provide all of the high paying jobs as we removed industrial era jobs that actually made the products. Not true as we see.

Nowhere NEAR as fucking stupid as you fascists are.

DURRRR

^^^ I don't know about anyone else, but I have made donations to the Good Will place before. The stuff was never anything stolen and I never got any money for what I gave away to them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I find a lot of old CD's at Goodwill for a couple of bucks, a lot better deal than online; same with books and even old high end audio gear, like a Marantz 200 watt amp and D/A converter for $10 and other good stuff. My best find was a old Martin guitar for $40 that sells for over $600-$800 bucks online.

Forum List

Back