šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

Muhammad becomes first Muslim American to represent the US Olympic Team wearing a hijab

Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

iran vs usa- olympic semi final/fencing Men's Sabre Individual

xegmzgawqoauvq5l2d2o.jpg

T73EslWK.jpg

No one is celebrating attire, just the right and freedom to wear it. I've yet to see folks attacking the Amish for dressing Amish.
I've yet to see Amish blowing up buildings, killing gays in night clubs or slitting throats of non-believers either.

These are athletes, they went to represent the USA and compete....not to whine and play the victim card.

and definitely proud to be there representing and being good influences to other american girls looking to try out in the future. They made some very nice statements to that fact. I loved what they said.

What has she actually said and who made the big fuss about her wearing a hijab? The media. Muhammad out - but media won't let hijab-wearing American go quietly

She's just a young woman, a lovely young woman, who made it to the Olympics and was trying to win for her country. She's OURS. She was proud to be out there, representing and being good influences to other american girls looking to try out in the future.

Ibtihaj Muhammad stoic in defeat: 'I feel proud to represent Team USA'
If Donald Trump needs a reminder she stood in a hallway beneath the arenaā€™s stands early Monday afternoon, her eyes wide and clear, her voice strong and words firm. She didnā€™t scream, she didnā€™t plead, she didnā€™t cry. She simply said: ā€œI feel proud to represent Team USA even in defeat.ā€

She was here to fence, which is what got lost on the way to her first Olympics. In any other Games she would have been another 30-year-old woman from New Jersey, a mild curiosity as the first American female fencer to compete in a hijab. Her loss would have been a small note on NBC. Mostly her face would have disappeared in the montage of head shots the US Olympic Committee publishes of all 554 athletes who are here, barely recognizable in the mosaic that is America.

But the spring of Donald Trump has melded into the summer of Donald Trump and the words spilling from the campaign back home have made Ibtihaj Muhammad more than just another athlete on just another US Olympic team. She has become one of the best symbols against intolerance America can ever have.

ā€œItā€™s almost like how can you not see that Muslims are like any other group?ā€ she said on Monday. ā€œWe are conservative, we are liberal. There are women who cover, there are women who donā€™t. There are African American Muslims, there are white Muslims, there are Arab Muslims. There are so many different types of Muslims. So many Muslim countries have women as heads of state. And there are things I want people to be aware of. I want people to not see just those women but also Muslim women who participate in sports. The Saudi Arabian team, the Kuwaiti team and now the American team.ā€

Muhammad had a message even in her loss. The Olympics, she said, are bigger than her, bigger than any personal ambition or childhood dream. Monday wasnā€™t about her performance, it was about standing before the world and saying that her pursuit is as important as anybody elseā€™s, that a loss should be a victory for so many other people who donā€™t have the luxury of competing in an Olympics.

ā€œI think that anyone who has paid attention to the news would know the importance of having a Muslim woman on Team USA,ā€ she said. ā€œAgain, itā€™s not just any team, itā€™s the United States of America. In light of all the political fuss that we hear about, all these things I feel like kind of circle back to my presence on Team USA. And again, itā€™s challenging those misconceptions that people have about who the Muslim woman is.ā€

She was asked what those misconceptions are.

ā€œThat someone is forcing me to wear this hijab,ā€ she said. ā€œThat Iā€™m oppressed. That I donā€™t have a voice. Anyone who knows me knows that Iā€™m vert vocal, very verbal, and very comfortable expressing myself. Iā€™ve always ben like that. I remember being told that I shouldnā€™t fence as a kid because I was black, and itā€™s like why? I want to fence, and this is what I want to do.ā€

She said her parents never said her religion or gender should stop her from doing what she wanted. Her father Eugene, a former cop, pushed his kids in sports like any other American father who wanted a family of athletes. He never wanted his daughters to feel they couldnā€™t compete because they wore clothes that were different from the kids at Columbia High School. He found his girls fencing for the same reason he found his son football. She chased her brother through their backyard pool and across sports fields all over town. She wants other girls to feel they can do the same.

No one is celebrating attire, just the right and freedom to wear it. I've yet to see folks attacking the Amish for dressing Amish.
I've yet to see Amish blowing up buildings, killing gays in night clubs or slitting throats of non-believers either.

I'm trying to figure out what that has to do with the freedom to wear religious garb in this country.

Oh, ya, I know the answer. Nothing.

You've got the right to wear dirty underwear too, but does that mean it should be celebrated?

You're equating Amish clothing to dirty underwear?

I'm trying to figure out what that has to do with the freedom to wear religious garb in this country.
Work on it and see if you can figure out why most do not perceive the Amish as they do Muslims.

I understand things don't come easy to you.

These are athletes, they went to represent the USA and compete....not to whine and play the victim card.

and definitely proud to be there representing and being good influences to other american girls looking to try out in the future. They made some very nice statements to that fact. I loved what they said.

What has she actually said and who made the big fuss about her wearing a hijab? The media. Muhammad out - but media won't let hijab-wearing American go quietly

She's just a young woman, a lovely young woman, who made it to the Olympics and was trying to win for her country. She's OURS. She was proud to be out there, representing and being good influences to other american girls looking to try out in the future.

If Donald Trump needs a reminder she stood in a hallway beneath the arenaā€™s stands early Monday afternoon, her eyes wide and clear, her voice strong and words firm. She didnā€™t scream, she didnā€™t plead, she didnā€™t cry. She simply said: ā€œI feel proud to represent Team USA even in defeat.ā€

She was here to fence, which is what got lost on the way to her first Olympics. In any other Games she would have been another 30-year-old woman from New Jersey, a mild curiosity as the first American female fencer to compete in a hijab. Her loss would have been a small note on NBC. Mostly her face would have disappeared in the montage of head shots the US Olympic Committee publishes of all 554 athletes who are here, barely recognizable in the mosaic that is America.

But the spring of Donald Trump has melded into the summer of Donald Trump and the words spilling from the campaign back home have made Ibtihaj Muhammad more than just another athlete on just another US Olympic team. She has become one of the best symbols against intolerance America can ever have.

ā€œItā€™s almost like how can you not see that Muslims are like any other group?ā€ she said on Monday. ā€œWe are conservative, we are liberal. There are women who cover, there are women who donā€™t. There are African American Muslims, there are white Muslims, there are Arab Muslims. There are so many different types of Muslims. So many Muslim countries have women as heads of state. And there are things I want people to be aware of. I want people to not see just those women but also Muslim women who participate in sports. The Saudi Arabian team, the Kuwaiti team and now the American team.ā€

Muhammad had a message even in her loss. The Olympics, she said, are bigger than her, bigger than any personal ambition or childhood dream. Monday wasnā€™t about her performance, it was about standing before the world and saying that her pursuit is as important as anybody elseā€™s, that a loss should be a victory for so many other people who donā€™t have the luxury of competing in an Olympics.

ā€œI think that anyone who has paid attention to the news would know the importance of having a Muslim woman on Team USA,ā€ she said. ā€œAgain, itā€™s not just any team, itā€™s the United States of America. In light of all the political fuss that we hear about, all these things I feel like kind of circle back to my presence on Team USA. And again, itā€™s challenging those misconceptions that people have about who the Muslim woman is.ā€

ā€œThat someone is forcing me to wear this hijab,ā€ she said. ā€œThat Iā€™m oppressed. That I donā€™t have a voice. Anyone who knows me knows that Iā€™m vert vocal, very verbal, and very comfortable expressing myself. Iā€™ve always ben like that. I remember being told that I shouldnā€™t fence as a kid because I was black, and itā€™s like why? I want to fence, and this is what I want to do.ā€

She said her parents never said her religion or gender should stop her from doing what she wanted. Her father Eugene, a former cop, pushed his kids in sports like any other American father who wanted a family of athletes. He never wanted his daughters to feel they couldnā€™t compete because they wore clothes that were different from the kids at Columbia High School. He found his girls fencing for the same reason he found his son football. She chased her brother through their backyard pool and across sports fields all over town. She wants other girls to feel they can do the same.

I couldn't care less about any woman who practices a faith where women are treated like garbage, she used the Olympics as a platform politically and religiously

You've got the right to wear dirty underwear too, but does that mean it should be celebrated?

You're equating Amish clothing to dirty underwear?
No one is celebrating Amish dress. If you feel compelled to celebrate Muslim dress and wearing dirty underwear, you are free to do so.

Amazing...celebrate an American athlete in the Olympics and you get labeled an "Islam appeaser" :lmao:

Celebrate? What are we celebrating? She lost.

She, and her team are still our athletes. Does that only apply to the winners?

I guess that means something in the world of everyone gets a trophy.

Was watching women's foil today and there was no big deal made about our fencers outside of the fact that they were americans. They, unlike Mohammed, put their country first and competed. Mohammed decided it was more important to put the focus on her oppressive muzzie hood instead of putting the focus on our country.

No wonder she lost.

Not at all. I don't believe in participation trophies. But it IS an achievement to merely get to the Olympics. They aren't ordinary athletes.

People should have the freedom to wear symbols of their religion openly, without fear of attack.

I couldn't care less about any woman who practices a faith where women are treated like garbage, she used the Olympics as a platform politically and religiously

So you say. I think she was just another athlete fulfilling her dream. But make it what you will.

Work on it and see if you can figure out why most do not perceive the Amish as they do Muslims.

I understand that what you said has nothing to do with the freedom to wear religious garb in this country. I'll wait until you figure that out.

In case you missed it: freedom of religion applies to all, not just those that meet with your approval.

Amazing...celebrate an American athlete in the Olympics and you get labeled an "Islam appeaser" :lmao:

Was watching women's foil today and there was no big deal made about our fencers outside of the fact that they were americans. They, unlike Mohammed, put their country first and competed. Mohammed decided it was more important to put the focus on her oppressive muzzie hood instead of putting the focus on our country.

No wonder she lost.

Not at all. I don't believe in participation trophies. But it IS an achievement to merely get to the Olympics. They aren't ordinary athletes.

People should have the freedom to wear symbols of their religion openly, without fear of attack.

Jewish women wear a wig. That's not even close to the same thing. Loads of women wear wigs for various reasons some just like to change their hair style.

My wife is Russian orthodox and she wears a scarf in church. When she leaves church she takes it off. She still maintains her religious traditions without making a spectacle and drawing attention.

Now to the religious freedom comment: When you are part of a team you conform to the uniform. Part of being part of team is giving up your individuality so you can work as a team. The fact that you don't understand this is amazing.

I understand that what you said has nothing to do with the freedom to wear religious garb in this country. I'll wait until you figure that out.

In case you missed it: freedom of religion applies to all, not just those that meet with your approval.

Unless you own a bakery or pizza parlor.

So you say. I think she was just another athlete fulfilling her dream. But make it what you will.

Then why did she make it about her instead of it being about standing for the country?

Did she make a big deal out of the hijab and mention Trump's immigration policies?

Listen sister, or whatever you identify as, no one gives a rat's ass what you wear. Just don't think it has to be celebrated, OK?

Listen sister, or whatever you identify as, no one gives a rat's ass what you wear. Just don't think it has to be celebrated, OK?

Exactly, I don't care if a left loon lent her a tinfoil hat

No wonder she lost.

Jewish women wear a wig. That's not even close to the same thing. Loads of women wear wigs for various reasons some just like to change their hair style.

My wife is Russian orthodox and she wears a scarf in church. When she leaves church she takes it off. She still maintains her religious traditions without making a spectacle and drawing attention.

Now to the religious freedom comment: When you are part of a team you conform to the uniform. Part of being part of team is giving up your individuality so you can work as a team. The fact that you don't understand this is amazing.

Orthodox Jewish women also wear headscarves, men wear kippahs. So what? Who made you the judge of what's religiously appropriate? We're not talking burkas here. The only reason you even care is that she is Muslim. It's like when folks were attacking Tebo for praying before a game. Who the hell cares?

She wears a helmet when fencing - you can't even see she is wearing a hijab. Seems pretty unobtrusive.

Yet you seem to have a problem with it. Go figure :lol:

Forum List

Back