Musk orders executives back to work

Because workers saved a lot of time and money working at home. Now that they have experienced this, they want to keep it.

That isn't just a, "I like working in pajamas" preference.
Pajama boy is definitely an aspect to it. You all want all sorts of comforts while doing very little.

Right, how dare Musk require employees to put in 40 hours a week?
That pig.

Depending upon the type of work he will get less out of them in the office than he did from home.

For example my brother is an architect. Like most they got sent home to work due to COIVD. In Aug last year his firm said it was time for them all to come back. My brother told them if you make me come back I will move to a new firm. They asked him if there was anything from his office they could send him to make his work from home more comfortable. As it is now he works for most for the 3 hours he would have spent commuting back and forth to work, thus they are getting more out of him for the same money.

For jobs like his where it is about the project and not the hours your ass is in the seat it makes perfect sense to allow people to work from home.

Depending upon the type of work he will get less out of them in the office than he did from home.

For example my brother is an architect. Like most they got sent home to work due to COIVD. In Aug last year his firm said it was time for them all to come back. My brother told them if you make me come back I will move to a new firm. They asked him if there was anything from his office they could send him to make his work from home more comfortable. As it is now he works for most for the 3 hours he would have spent commuting back and forth to work, thus they are getting more out of him for the same money.

For jobs like his where it is about the project and not the hours your ass is in the seat it makes perfect sense to allow people to work from home.
As long as they get paid overtime.

But do you expect the same compensation and chance of promotion of a like talented person that does go in on a regular basis?

Why not? It is not about the hours your ass spends in the seat, it is about the work you do.

Is a nurse more effective and helpful being at home or at a place where the work(patients) actually are?

As long as they get paid overtime.

He is not an hourly employee. He basically gets paid by the project. There is no OT as there is no set number of hours that must be worked. My job is the same way. Being paid by the hour makes no sense for a lot of jobs these days

He is not an hourly employee. He basically gets paid by the project. There is no OT as there is no set number of hours that must be worked. My job is the same way. Being paid by the hour makes no sense for a lot of jobs these days
Makes it easy for a company to take advantage of you

So, not an employee at all. An independent contractor.

No, he is an employee as he has benefits and such. he just does not have a set number of hours he has to work. The job varies too much for that. some weeks he can do all that there need to be done in 20 hours, others it takes 60.

Makes it easy for a company to take advantage of you

True, it could lead to that.

I get a salary, it is not based upon the amount of hours I work but upon me doing the job. Nobody tracks my hours.

My 27 year old is this same way. She works as a product rep for a medical supply company. She goes to hospitals and teaches them how to use them and takes care of any issues. She has a set salary plus uncapped commission on any follow on sales she can make. Nobody tracks her hours, just the results. At 27 she is making over 100 grand base salary plus commission.

People bitching about fears of what the “employer might do to me” when they don’t work
Fearful of Covid. Fearful of work. Fearful period. And, want everyone else the same way or triggering commences.

No, he is an employee as he has benefits and such. he just does not have a set number of hours he has to work. The job varies too much for that. some weeks he can do all that there need to be done in 20 hours, others it takes 60.
Gotcha. Interesting. So he decides on his own how many hours he works.

Surely you understand that you are talking about rare exceptions, not the rule. Not sure of the value of it, in this discussion.

True, it could lead to that.

I get a salary, it is not based upon the amount of hours I work but upon me doing the job. Nobody tracks my hours.

My 27 year old is this same way. She works as a product rep for a medical supply company. She goes to hospitals and teaches them how to use them and takes care of any issues. She has a set salary plus uncapped commission on any follow on sales she can make. Nobody tracks her hours, just the results. At 27 she is making over 100 grand base salary plus commission.
My niece in Texas the same at age 29. Very ambitious and pleasant, very skilled. Extremely pretty and classy which does open doors but once opened she must be able to do the technical part of the business or door is closed.

Understood. But that is Musk's call. If he wants you in the office, then so be it. Don't like it, find another job.

Forum List

Back