Muslim files lawsuit against Dearborn Heights for making her remove headscarf

I gather this woman never walks into a bank. Most banks make you remove sunglasses and hats when you enter.

pro tip: banks are not the government

Well, they are FDIC insured so gov't rules and regs do apply. I'm just not sure about any kind of rules like that. I'm pretty sure they only have to do with lending requirements.
I've never been asked to remove sunglasses, hats or headscarves in a bank. In general, where men might be asked to remove hats, women aren't.

There is a sign at the door which explicitly states no hats, no sunglasses. Don't know of any bank that permits that.

I've never seen that in the banks I've gone to.

People in other countries won lawsuits that allowed them to wear pasta strainers on their heads for religious reasons. So the lawsuit might well suceed.

Not in America it won't. The same type case was heard in Florida ( I believe it was Florida) and she lost. You'd think they would get the message - The USA is NOT an Islamic State - nor shall it ever be.

It's nothing to do with Sharia but with basic religious rights granted by the Constitution. All those rights have limitations of course - she must take it off for an ID photo, but that is not her argument. Her religion forbids her from removing it in the presence of strange men, all she is asking for is reasonable accommodation - a female officer takes the photo.

The funny thing is - people scream "Sharia" but it's a reasonable accommodation that goes beyond Muslims (but you all don't care if it isn't a Muslim). There are a number of religious sects that require women cover their heads and they face the same problem. They just don't get villified for it.

People in other countries won lawsuits that allowed them to wear pasta strainers on their heads for religious reasons. So the lawsuit might well suceed.

Not in America it won't. The same type case was heard in Florida ( I believe it was Florida) and she lost. You'd think they would get the message - The USA is NOT an Islamic State - nor shall it ever be.

It's nothing to do with Sharia but with basic religious rights granted by the Constitution. All those rights have limitations of course - she must take it off for an ID photo, but that is not her argument. Her religion forbids her from removing it in the presence of strange men, all she is asking for is reasonable accommodation - a female officer takes the photo.

The funny thing is - people scream "Sharia" but it's a reasonable accommodation that goes beyond Muslims (but you all don't care if it isn't a Muslim). There are a number of religious sects that require women cover their heads and they face the same problem. They just don't get villified for it.
Her religion does not forbid it. It is a personal choice, depending on how conservative you or your family are. Covering is not required in Islam.

yep.

Her religion does not forbid it. It is a personal choice, depending on how conservative you or your family are. Covering is not required in Islam.

seriously? prove your claim.

Show me where in the Koran it is required for women to cover their heads or faces. I know and have known and have lived among countless Muslim women who do not cover their heads or faces.

It is true that in some families and in some cultures women are forced to wear hijab but this is not the norm. The Quran clearly states that there is no compulsion in religion (2:256).
Why Muslim Women Wear the Veil - The Religion of Islam

Last edited:

Show me where in the Koran it is required for women to cover their heads or faces. I know and have known and have lived among countless Muslim women who do not cover their heads or faces.

why don't you research your claims before spouting off....took me 3 seconds

Hijab The Head Cover 8211 Unveiled

I'm not spouting off, you idiot. How many Muslim countries have you lived in? I've lived in 3 and live and work closely with Muslim women. It is a choice, as is made clear in the quote I cited. You need to thoroughly read your own source instead of spouting off in your ignorance.

How do you know there wasn't a female officer present? The article did not say that at all.

i said apparently there was no female officer there...

...you want to assume there was a female officer there who refused her, based on what?

Kazan said she asked to have a female officer take her photo, which the male officer refused to do, the lawsuit said.

The officer talked to a supervisor, who told him to proceed as usual.

there wasn't a female officer around, apparently...oh well.

I'm not spouting off, you idiot. How many Muslim countries have you lived in? I've lived in 3 and live and work closely with Muslim women. It is a choice, as is made clear in the quote I cited.

i cited the quran

run along now

I'm not spouting off, you idiot. How many Muslim countries have you lived in? I've lived in 3 and live and work closely with Muslim women. It is a choice, as is made clear in the quote I cited.

i cited the quran

run along now
You didn't even read your own source, you fucking moron. I cited the Koran as well. Fool.

i cited the quran

run along now
You didn't even read your own source, you fucking moron. I cited the Koran as well. Fool.

you didn't cite shit. i didn't read my source? how can you be this stupid? here it is again:

Why do Muslim women cover their heads? The answer is very simple – Muslim women observe hijab because Allah has told them to do so:

.O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed…. (Qur.an 33:59).

i cited the quran

run along now

you didn't cite shit. i didn't read my source? how can you be this stupid? here it is again:

Why do Muslim women cover their heads? The answer is very simple – Muslim women observe hijab because Allah has told them to do so:

.O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed…. (Qur.an 33:59).
No, read my citation from the Koran. It is not required. The quote you are citing is not a requirement, it is a suggestion, and it is not specific.

It's required by her particular sect then much like Orthodox Jewish women. Either way - it's a reasonable accommodation as long as her photo can be taken without it.

i cited the quran

run along now
You are an idiot. I have lived in three Muslim countries with 90% Muslim populations. I worked closely with countless Muslim women. Covering is not required. It is a CHOICE. You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

It's required by her particular sect then much like Orthodox Jewish women. Either way - it's a reasonable accommodation as long as her photo can be taken without it.
And which sect would that be that requires it?

How do you know there wasn't a female officer present? The article did not say that at all.

...you want to assume there was a female officer there who refused her, based on what?

Kazan said she asked to have a female officer take her photo, which the male officer refused to do, the lawsuit said.

I am not sure what your point is with the quote. There is nothing that says there was no female officer around, only that the male refused to get one.

i cited the quran

run along now
You are an idiot. I have lived in three Muslim countries with 90% Muslim populations. I worked closely with countless Muslim women. Covering is not required. It is a CHOICE. You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

so the passage in the quran means what?

and citing what people do is not proof the religion requires something you fucking moron. i would say that all christians lie, you would then use this as proof the bible doesn't say not to lie....idiot

And which sect would that be that requires it?

I have no idea but it's part of her religious observation and should be accommodated - it may not be specifically detailed but "modest clothing" for males and females is frequently donned by more conservative Muslims. Why should it be a big deal?

I am not sure what your point is with the quote. There is nothing that says there was no female officer around, only that the male refused to get one.
I think if there was courtesy and respect, they could have agreed to her request, but there is not respect for Islam by probably the majority of people in the West due to terrorism. I am not against Muslims: many, many times I have posted supporting the general population of Muslims. I don't blame them for terrorism. But, the fact is that covering varies from country to country, culture to culture, family to family, woman to woman. It is based on a suggesting in the Koran and how that suggestion is interpreted.

Forum List

Back