MUST READ: Obasanjo speaks about Buhari’s 2019 presidential bid

jchima

Sep 22, 2014
obasanjo.jpeg

Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has denied report that he has warned President Muhammadu Buhari against seeking re-election in 2019.

Vanguard reports that the former president was reacting to the claim made by Alex Nwokedi, his former chief press secretary that Obasanjo had warned Buhari not to contest in the 2019 presidential election.
In a statement issued by Kehinde Akinyemi who is his media aide on Sunday, September 4 Obasanjo said he has not spoken to his former press secretary in three years and wondered how he got the information.

The former president described the news as false and destructive and said he was not against Buhari contesting for presidency in 2019.

He said: “My belief is that democracy allowed for anybody including President Buhari for that matter to contest any election and it is the prerogative rights of Nigerians to vote or not to vote for them.

“I have not communicated with Alex in the last three years, so how could a story be credited to me, when I did not authorize such or communicate with him in the last three years?

“Not even me, can advise my children not to seek for elective post. It is part of freedom of democracy.

“I condemn in the most highest manner the story and those behind it. And for those behind it, they are simply enemies of democracy and freedom of expression.”

Obasanjo said that he is still committed to the peace and progress of the country’s democratic development.

He assured that Nigeria’s democracy would bring relief in no distance future with patience and understanding of the country’s masses

Source: MUST READ: Obasanjo speaks about Buhari’s 2019 presidential bid – LATEST NIGERIA NEWS

Forum List

Back