My Body, My Choice

As long as the rest of us aren't haven't to pay the medical bills of the morbidly obese who got that way do to their own decisions.

Agreed. Their choice? Their cost.

The problem is though that through higher insurance premiums, we're all having to pay for their poor choices.

Exactly, now just extrapolate this thought to welfare, exactly the same scenario.

Their choice, their cost? Right Bod?

Then we just stop medical care for those who abuse prescription drugs.

Look at it realistically, what level of control is necessary to keep people from being overweight? Banning the sale of sugary drinks and transfats doesn't do it. You can't control what people eat or drink just by banning a few sales. The government would have to determine the appropriate caloric intake for each person and find some method of making sure that each individual eats only that amount and is punished if they exceed the mandated amount. But that's only half the battle against fat. There needs to be a mandatory exercise program and some sort of biometric reader to make sure that the person actually does those exercises.

You can simply deny any medical care to the obese because their condition is their own fault. But it cannot stop there. Every person who causes their own condition should also be denied medical care. The skiier who breaks a leg should be left on the mountaintop. The sailor whose boat capsizes at sea. The 15 year old girl who got pregnant. The rape victim or robbery victim who voluntarily walked down that dark alley. Close the drug rehab centers and certainly no treatment for the alcoholic.

In Singapore chewing gum was banned for decades because chewing gum caused tooth decay and when the public pays for dental care, they have to right to ban chewing gum. There is no end to it, not really. That's what the judge told Bloomberg. There is no end to government control if it is exerted in the name of public good.

I don't agree with Bloomberg's approach nor do I agree to stopping medical care for those who are overweight, etc.

I do believe that people who contribute to their own health problems should pay higher health insurance premiums than those who live healthier lifestyles, though.

I would agree, just like auto insurance, if you're in accidents all the time, you pay more. Plus, it would give people incentive to get their health under control if it would lower their health insurance costs.

How about the government just do their fucking job and put out fires, catch criminals and patch potholes and let Americans make their own decisions concerning how they live?

A fuckin MEN

As long as the rest of us aren't haven't to pay the medical bills of the morbidly obese who got that way do to their own decisions.

The problem is though that through higher insurance premiums, we're all having to pay for their poor choices.

When someone drops out of high school, we have to carry them for the rest of their lives. Health insurance, food stamps, welfare, shelter.

see no one is stopping you from drinking liquid sugar until your kidneys malfunction

Bloomy tried. If people are stupid enough to drink and eat themselves into an early death, that should be their right.

False premise or hypocrisy.

You chose.

You don't seem to mind costing the rest of us with your alleged compassion. Or can we do away with the tax system now?

When someone drops out of high school, we have to carry them for the rest of their lives. Health insurance, food stamps, welfare, shelter.

Obviously obesity and other health related issues aren't the only problem we're facing as a society.

I never meant to suggest otherwise.

Bloomy tried. If people are stupid enough to drink and eat themselves into an early death, that should be their right.

False premise or hypocrisy.

You chose.

You don't seem to mind costing the rest of us with your alleged compassion. Or can we do away with the tax system now?

Um, what?

That made no sense.

Super size Americans.

tumblr_lo31z9CjiF1qmdo81o1_400.jpg

Fat Americans

Look at it realistically, what level of control is necessary to keep people from being overweight? Banning the sale of sugary drinks and transfats doesn't do it. You can't control what people eat or drink just by banning a few sales. The government would have to determine the appropriate caloric intake for each person and find some method of making sure that each individual eats only that amount and is punished if they exceed the mandated amount. But that's only half the battle against fat. There needs to be a mandatory exercise program and some sort of biometric reader to make sure that the person actually does those exercises.

You can simply deny any medical care to the obese because their condition is their own fault. But it cannot stop there. Every person who causes their own condition should also be denied medical care. The skiier who breaks a leg should be left on the mountaintop. The sailor whose boat capsizes at sea. The 15 year old girl who got pregnant. The rape victim or robbery victim who voluntarily walked down that dark alley. Close the drug rehab centers and certainly no treatment for the alcoholic.

In Singapore chewing gum was banned for decades because chewing gum caused tooth decay and when the public pays for dental care, they have to right to ban chewing gum. There is no end to it, not really. That's what the judge told Bloomberg. There is no end to government control if it is exerted in the name of public good.

I don't agree with Bloomberg's approach nor do I agree to stopping medical care for those who are overweight, etc.

I do believe that people who contribute to their own health problems should pay higher health insurance premiums than those who live healthier lifestyles, though.

They do. If they pay for insurance. Obesity is largely an affliction of the poor. Not that NO wealthy people are overweight, there certainly are. There are some skinny poor people too. But as a class, the poorer a person is, the more likely they are to be overweight. The poor are on medicaid or some sort of state provided medical care. They don't pay premiums. Drug addicts don't pay for medical care, if they live on the street you pay for their medical care.

see no one is stopping you from drinking liquid sugar until your kidneys malfunction

no one is stopping you from voting for welfare/warfare state politicians until the government malfunctions

thank you for admitting they work and dont make things fail

Yes.. we have welfared away poverty.. and the more money we put into welfare, the better the poor are doing... Welfare has also put our government in the best financial situation in the past 100 years..

Oh, wait.. I thought it was opposite day

They do. If they pay for insurance. Obesity is largely an affliction of the poor. Not that NO wealthy people are overweight, there certainly are. There are some skinny poor people too. But as a class, the poorer a person is, the more likely they are to be overweight. The poor are on medicaid or some sort of state provided medical care. They don't pay premiums. Drug addicts don't pay for medical care, if they live on the street you pay for their medical care.

OK, I realize the effects of poverty on diet.

My point was to those in the majority who pay for their own health care.

Yet we are forced to pay the medical bills, as well as other bill of those who choose to drop out of school, not better themselves, bring children into this world the cannot afford, use drugs, drink too much, smoke too much, engage in risky sexual behavior, etc.

OK, I realize the effects of poverty on diet.

My point was to those in the majority who pay for their own health care.

And they already pay higher premiums IF they don't have across the board exclusions. How much do you think a race car driver pays for accidental injury insurance? When an insurance agent writing a new policy asks how much you drink, it's so they can exclude cirrhohis treatment from coverage.

Last edited:

How true.. I had this discussion with a guy who wondered how it is that poor people tend to be so overweight... it is a mater of education. next time you are at the grocery, look at what they purchase... tons of cheep soda, cheap, fatty cuts of meat, lot's of junk food, etc.

How true.. I had this discussion with a guy who wondered how it is that poor people tend to be so overweight... it is a mater of education. next time you are at the grocery, look at what they purchase... tons of cheep soda, cheap, fatty cuts of meat, lot's of junk food, etc.

Cheap food is usually not as nutricious as expensive food.

I'm a serious weight lifter/ fitness nut and I spend a lot more on food than most, because the food I eat is very high protein and low fat. It's also not cheap to eat 6 small heath meals a day like I do.

It isn't a matter of education at all. No amount of education is going to convince poor people to eat that salad instead of the chocolate cupcake. There's a reason why all that fat food is called comfort food.

Poor people eat food like that because it tastes good, it is very filling, and they deserve it. They can't afford a vacation at Orlando's Disneyworld, but they can afford a couple of doughnuts. They deserve this minor indulgence because they have no other way of rewarding themselves. They can't afford that lean porterhouse steak, but they can afford hamburger or bacon. This isn't a matter of education. Educate the poor until the cows jump over the moon and it won't change their feelings.

Yet we are forced to pay the medical bills, as well as other bill of those who choose to drop out of school, not better themselves, bring children into this world the cannot afford, use drugs, drink too much, smoke too much, engage in risky sexual behavior, etc.

Yes we are, although the bills that we pay for these folks are small in comparison to all the bills charged to insurance companies by those with coverage.

However, what is the solution here? Do we as a socity allow the poor to die outside hospitol steps? How do we handle this?

Forum List

Back