My Catholic faith has become a liability -- where do I dump it?

I would take a railroad spike in my head if it would stop me from believing in Catholicism.
God doesn't want you to feel that way. Can you make a list of beliefs that you believe are right and good? Surely you have found some beliefs that you feel in your heart are not just and would create a miserable life for you. God is merciful and understands you heart. Once you have made your list, seek religious counsel from someone you respect and always remember God forgives.
Does God always forgive?

I'm not so sure.

What happens to unbaptized babies?

What happens to Chinese people who have never heard of the Christian God?

What happened to all the pagans who lived before Christ and never even had the chance to learn about him?

What happened to my mother, who committed suicide?

What happens to atheists who live good lives?

The more I think, the crazier I get.

It would help if you tried to follow what the Bible really teaches instead of the doctrines of a religion. This verse answers some of your questions:

Acts 24:15
And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection+ of both the righteous and the unrighteous.+

Jesus taught there is only one grounds for divorce:

Matthew 19:3-9
And Pharisees came to him intent on testing him, and they asked: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on every sort of grounds?”+ 4 In reply he said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female+ 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’?+ 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”+ 7 They said to him: “Why, then, did Moses direct giving a certificate of dismissal and divorcing her?”+ 8 He said to them: “Out of regard for your hard-heartedness, Moses made the concession to you of divorcing your wives,+ but that has not been the case from the beginning.+ 9 I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”+

However, Jehovah hates divorce:

Malachi 2:13-16
“And there is another* thing that you do, which results in covering the altar of Jehovah with tears and with weeping and sighing, so that he no longer pays attention to your gift offering or looks favorably on anything from your hand.+ 14 And you say, ‘For what reason?’ It is because Jehovah has acted as a witness between you and the wife of your youth, with whom you have dealt treacherously, although she is your partner and your wife by covenant.*+ 15 But there was one who did not do it, for he had what remained of the spirit. And what was that one seeking? The offspring* of God. So guard yourselves respecting your spirit, and do not deal treacherously with the wife of your youth. 16 For I hate* divorce,”+ says Jehovah the God of Israel, “and the one who covers his garment with violence,”* says Jehovah of armies. “And guard yourselves respecting your spirit, and you must not deal treacherously.+

God also looks favorably on forgiving even an adulterous marriage mate - as demonstrated by God's counsel to Hosea regarding his adulterous wife Gomer:

Hosea 3:1-3
Then Jehovah said to me: “Go once again, love the woman who is loved by another man and is committing adultery,+ just as Jehovah loves the people of Israel+ while they turn to other gods+ and love raisin cakes.”*
2 So I purchased her for myself for 15 silver pieces and a hoʹmer measure* and a half of barley. 3 Then I said to her: “You will remain mine for many days. You must not commit prostitution,* and you must not have relations with another man, and I will behave the same way toward you

And in the case of other unscriptural grounds for divorce:

1 Corinthians 7:10-13
To the married people I give instructions, not I but the Lord, that a wife should not separate from her husband.+ 11 But if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else be reconciled with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife.+
12 But to the others I say, yes, I, not the Lord:+ If any brother has an unbelieving wife and she is agreeable to staying with him, let him not leave her; 13 and if a woman has an unbelieving husband and he is agreeable to staying with her, let her not leave her husband.

Have you considered pleading with your wife to be reconciled - to come back to you? Or trying again?

Bottom line - if your wife has committed adultery Jesus taught you can remarry another - listen to what Jesus taught rather than to what a religion teaches.

Last edited:
I would take a railroad spike in my head if it would stop me from believing in Catholicism.
God doesn't want you to feel that way. Can you make a list of beliefs that you believe are right and good? Surely you have found some beliefs that you feel in your heart are not just and would create a miserable life for you. God is merciful and understands you heart. Once you have made your list, seek religious counsel from someone you respect and always remember God forgives.
Does God always forgive?

I'm not so sure.

What happened to all the pagans who lived before Christ and never even had the chance to learn about him?

It would help if you tried to follow what the Bible really teaches instead of the doctrines of a religion. This verse answers some of your questions:

And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection+ of both the righteous and the unrighteous.+

And Pharisees came to him intent on testing him, and they asked: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on every sort of grounds?”+ 4 In reply he said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female+ 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’?+ 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”+ 7 They said to him: “Why, then, did Moses direct giving a certificate of dismissal and divorcing her?”+ 8 He said to them: “Out of regard for your hard-heartedness, Moses made the concession to you of divorcing your wives,+ but that has not been the case from the beginning.+ 9 I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”+

“And there is another* thing that you do, which results in covering the altar of Jehovah with tears and with weeping and sighing, so that he no longer pays attention to your gift offering or looks favorably on anything from your hand.+ 14 And you say, ‘For what reason?’ It is because Jehovah has acted as a witness between you and the wife of your youth, with whom you have dealt treacherously, although she is your partner and your wife by covenant.*+ 15 But there was one who did not do it, for he had what remained of the spirit. And what was that one seeking? The offspring* of God. So guard yourselves respecting your spirit, and do not deal treacherously with the wife of your youth. 16 For I hate* divorce,”+ says Jehovah the God of Israel, “and the one who covers his garment with violence,”* says Jehovah of armies. “And guard yourselves respecting your spirit, and you must not deal treacherously.+

God also looks favorably on forgiving even an adulterous marriage mate - as demonstrated by God's counsel to Hosea regarding his adulterous wife Gomer:

Then Jehovah said to me: “Go once again, love the woman who is loved by another man and is committing adultery,+ just as Jehovah loves the people of Israel+ while they turn to other gods+ and love raisin cakes.”*
2 So I purchased her for myself for 15 silver pieces and a hoʹmer measure* and a half of barley. 3 Then I said to her: “You will remain mine for many days. You must not commit prostitution,* and you must not have relations with another man, and I will behave the same way toward you

To the married people I give instructions, not I but the Lord, that a wife should not separate from her husband.+ 11 But if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else be reconciled with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife.+
12 But to the others I say, yes, I, not the Lord:+ If any brother has an unbelieving wife and she is agreeable to staying with him, let him not leave her; 13 and if a woman has an unbelieving husband and he is agreeable to staying with her, let her not leave her husband.

Have you considered pleading with your wife to be reconciled?
I could, but I seriously doubt it would do any good. I'm bipolar, and so I had a lot or problems and she put up with it for a long time but finally lost patience with me. I really don't blame her for what happened.

Does God always forgive?

I'm not so sure.

Someone said there are many paths up to the mountain top. I'm not so sure that a certain sect of a religious order is the only path.

Does God always forgive? I believe he knows my heart and the older I get, the more time I have had to evaluate my life, mistakes and all. I have asked for forgiveness, making sure I don't repeat the same error. I took a religion class once and they talked about all of the books of the Bible that were not chosen to be in our Bible due to Political events and beliefs. Remember those were mere mortal men who made those decisions. And churches change their dialogues as time goes on. I had a friend in my youth that couldn't believe that my family did not go to church and ate meat on Fridays.

Is God going to put me in hell for not going to church when I was young? Would God really send aborted babies to hell? We all have to decide these things for ourselves.
I'm going crazier and crazier.

When I was married I didn't worry about any of this stuff because it didn't impact me.

Now that I'm divorced, I'm facing two stark alternatives: the rest of my life alone or the prospect of going to hell.

I thought I could go over the Episcopalians but their church's lack of conviction on basic principles means I can't really waste my time there.

I could give up and get an annulment, but I see annulments as a modern practice of the Catholic Church as corrupt as indulgences were in the Middle Ages.

There is no need to think that way, that is not biblical or true. You don't have to go through life worrying about going to hell for remarrying (or whatever) just come to Christ, if you haven't already and receive the gift of salvation. As I'm sure you know, we are ALL sinners. So if you recognize your spiritual condition, just ask God for forgiveness and make the decision to put your faith in Jesus.

In my view, you don't even need to worry so much about what church to go to at the moment... The most important thing is to be right with God. Forgiveness of all sins (past present and future) is available, and the peace and assurance of salvation.

Please read John 3. I know you've mentioned before on other threads that you would never want to go from Catholic to a non-Catholic denomination, but just read what Jesus said, in John 3:3.

It's not hard to leave the Catholic church. I did. I grew up going to Catholic church because my Mom is Catholic but at that time I wasn't a believer. When I was old enough to make my own decisions, I stopped going. Then many years later, when I became a Christian, I started going to a non-denominational Christian church, and that's the kind of church I've been going to ever since. But as I said before, the most important thing is our relationship with God.

The Catholic Church is 2000 years and in all that time they've stuck to their guns on issues that every other Christian denomination caved on.

I used to be proud of that, but now I feel trapped by it.

If I was thinking clearly, I might realize that I'm the one who's wrong.

But I'm so goddamn angry because me being wrong only makes it worse.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Does God always forgive?

I'm not so sure.

Have you considered pleading with your wife to be reconciled - to come back to you? Or trying again?

Bottom line - if your wife has committed adultery Jesus taught you can remarry another - listen to what Jesus taught rather than to what a religion teaches.
Does God always forgive?

I'm not so sure.

Have you considered pleading with your wife to be reconciled?
I could, but I seriously doubt it would do any good. I'm bipolar, and so I had a lot or problems and she put up with it for a long time but finally lost patience with me. I really don't blame her for what happened.

It will do good for you even if your wife does not accept pleas for forgiveness and reconciliation. At least you would still love her and want to do what the Bible really teaches.

There are medications for bipolar I think. See these articles for encouragement:

Excerpt from the latter article on bipolar:

"D. J. Jaffe of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill offers this sound advice: “Don’t confuse the illness with the individual; instead, hate the disease but love the person.”

A woman named Susanna had the patience and love to do just that. She had a friend who was a bipolar patient. “There were times when she just couldn’t bear to be around me,” Susanna says. Instead of giving up on her friend, Susanna did research to learn about bipolar disorder. “Now,” she says, “I realize how much my friend’s demeanor was affected by her illness.” Susanna feels that making efforts to understand the sufferer can bring a wonderful reward. “It can help you grow to love and treasure the beautiful person behind the illness,” she says."

Maybe you could share the articles with your wife and ask her to help you.

Blackrock - The Bible is older than the Catholic church and the counsel in the Bible is reliable while teachings of religions are not reliable.

Love is the most important teaching in the Bible according to Jesus - see Matthew 22:37-40.

Prayer is important - pray for your wife. Love your wife and plead with her to love you back. Plead with her to help you.

Just a suggestion - this is a personal matter for you. For me - I love love!

As the articles point out - others who care about you can help you as well. That is why I am responding to you.

But, alas - I need to go back to sleep. Pray and love and sleep well!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cnm
In my opinion beleivers should look to Jewish practices re such matters; they are the 'first church' in real life, the first Christians, not the Catholic Church. It seems the primary factor in the harshness toward divorce depends on a' hardness of heart' on the part of the husband, but if the sentiment is mutual that doesn't apply. The patrilineal basis of marriage law no longer applies to modern life in any case. I'm assuming the divorce was a mutual agreement here, which is an entirely different matter altogether from the OT and NT times. The original laws were in fact a ruling against adultery by the woman.

A Mutual Agreement

A key requirement in the get process is the complete acquiescence of both parties to the proceedings. "And it happens that she does not find favor in his eyes" teaches us that the document is only valid if it stems from the husband's desire to divorce his wife.1

Originally the wife's consent wasn't required in order for her husband to divorce her. This changed approximately 1000 years ago when the noted German scholar, Rabbi Gershom "the Light of the Diaspora," prohibited a man from divorcing his wife without her approval.

Consent is only considered to be such when both husband and wife are sane and sober minded at the time of the divorce.

Divorce Aftermath

Once the couple is divorced, they are encouraged to maintain minimal contact if any. The sages were concerned that the previous intimacy and comfort level that they shared with each other can lead them to behavior inappropriate for an unmarried couple. In fact, Jewish law places certain restrictions on the ex-couple from residing together in the same housing complex.

That said, the couple is not precluded from remarrying each other; in fact, it is considered to be a special mitzvah to remarry a divorced spouse.

In biblical law, a husband has the right to divorce his wife but a wife cannot initiate a divorce. About 1,000 years ago, Rebbeinu Gershom ben Yehuda (965-1028) decreed that a husband could no longer divorce his wife without her consent. This decision was accepted as binding by European Jewry.

A Jewish religious court can compel the husband to grant a divorce when there is a just case, such as when a husband refuses to have marital relations, when he does not provide adequately for her support, when he is unfaithful, when he is a wife-beater, or when he has a loathsome disease, such as leprosy, etc.

If divorce is legal under secular law, it's should be accepted under church laws as well; it isn't the 1st Century any more, and the theology indicates such personal legal matters change with the times, re womens rights, which were pretty non-existent in OT and NT times. Harsh as the laws were then, they gave women some legal protections, and the Christian sects gave them a little more status. The bible 'books' were written when the priests were both religious and secular judges; there was no distinction between church and state in Jewish society.

How can I make myself STOP being a Catholic?

I am divorced.

That means if I ever have a girlfriend I am committing adultery.

If I get married I am denied the Eucharist, and then I go to hell.

I could get an annulment, but then I have to trash talk my ex-wife and then say we never really got married which I am unwilling to do.

Ask Newt Gingrich what he did!

I am divorced.

I could get an annulment, but then I have to trash talk my ex-wife and then say we never really got married which I am unwilling to do.

Or... you can try thinking for yourself. That would be a thing.

The real problem is, why do you think that a bunch of guys who never been married have any right to judge your marriage?

i was raised a southern baptist....just accept that you are going to hell and have fun....you divorced...i understand not want an annulment if you have children... i just dont see betting on an after life...enjoy the one you KNOW you have....

and here you are ..knowing divorce is a sin but pretending trump is a great chirstian ....you really are a judgmental person to others...so i dont have a lot of empathy for you...you have chosen to torment yourself...so go for it

I am divorced.

Article about how divorce is permisable in the bible. maybe this helps.

then I go to hell.
Perhaps a refresher course in basic Catholicism would help? For example, the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that we don't know who--if anyone--is in hell. The Church does not teach you will go to hell if you do this, that, or the other. Rather, it teaches one may be in danger of hell. Basically, a mortal sin is telling God to go to hell--or choosing hell over God. You seem far from that.

My grandfather was an atheist, and I know for a fact he is not in hell. I believe you may be torturing yourself needlessly. To me it sounds like you are a good, practicing Catholic--and wish to continue to be a good, practicing Catholic--but somewhere in the future you are envisioning one hurdle you may not be able to overcome. If there is a priest you like and trust, I would advise setting up an appointment with him. I don't think anything has come of it yet, but I do know one of the issues that is continually being discussed if welcoming divorced but remarried couples back into the sacraments. Remember, too, an annulment is not a denial of your marriage, but looks into the possibility that the marriage was not a Sacramental marriage no matter how hard you worked to make it so. A priest might be able to help you with that aspect as well.

If you and the first priest you talk with don't click, don't give up. Find one who is willing to go to the mat for you, who truly cares about your situation. There are many out there.

I am divorced.

How about....not attending Catholic church anymore and if you feel the need to attend some religious group, try Unitarian churches. There you just bring your belief that there is a higher power and form your own decisions on life's path. When you attend one of those churches, you will find that the people there were from varying faiths originally. They just don't believe that the so-called holy books don't hold all the answers.

I can't believe people are swallowing his trolling.

I can't beleive Catholics think their denomination is 2,000 years old, but many of them do. They have produced many excellent theologians over the centuries, though, despite their foibles.

Oh, and all homosexuals are going to hell too.

I don't really want to believe it, but I have to.
Homosexuals are not going to hell because of the sin. Homosexuals, like heterosexuals all go to hell when they fail to accept Jesus as their personal Savior. The Bible clearly says that there are no homosexuals in heaven. Jesus is recorded clearly saying that there is no marriage or anyone given in marriage in heaven, and those there will be like the angels. Mormonism twists everything up to promote "eternal marriage bliss", however; the reality indicated is that there will be no need of sex of any sort. The saved will be enthralled simply being in GOD's presents. There will be none in heaven interested in sexual persuasion of any kind whatsoever. And this is difficult for some people to accept who have devoted their entire lives to sexual gratification... It simply will not be an issue. No one there will care!

I can't believe people are swallowing his trolling.

I can't beleive Catholics think their denomination is 2,000 years old, but many of them do. They have produced many excellent theologians over the centuries, though, despite their foibles.
I think it depends on if you believe the Church extends back to St. Peter or not, right?

I am divorced.

I'm not Catholic, but that's not how it works.

If you believe divorce isnt allowed (there are reasons), than rejecting your faith doesnt mean you're not sinning.

God will judge you on how you've trampled your own conscience. Changing religions doesnt alter the eternal Word of God

Homosexuals are not going to hell because of the sin. Homosexuals, like heterosexuals all go to hell when they fail to accept Jesus as their personal Savior
Theres more to it than that. If you fail to renounce sin (homosexuality is a terrible sin), you are not a follower of Christ.

The Catholic Church works if you can stay within the boundaries of what the Catholic Church will accept.

But what happens if you can't?

What if you are a man who is sexually attracted to other men?

The Church says, no problem, you are called to a life of chastity.

It's like there isn't a real person making up the rules, it's like a robot without any common sense is making up the rules.

I am a man who, through no fault of his own, ended up divorced.

The Church says, no problem, live the rest of your life alone.

If I say, I don't agree, I'll marry anyway, the Church says, no problem, you can still come to Mass, but you can't have the Eucharist because you are ex-communicated and when you die you go to hell.
I am a man who, through no fault of his own, ended up divorced.
oh. you're out in the cold and it wasn't your fault and those you have done was theirs ...

not easy to overcome the 4th century addiction particularly a rabid adherent.

Forum List

Back