My teachers obvious liberal grading bias.

What is the name of your class, what subject is being taught?

Honors English 11

Interesting. I'm in Honors English 11 as well. We got a similar poem assignment in a Springboard workbook, so it must be used for a bunch of schools.

While my teacher has a clear liberal slant when presenting the material, she is relatively tolerant of opposing viewpoints and doesn't exert a Marxist bias when grading.

Here was my poem, which got 15/15 at my school:
“America: Not Just a Place, an Idea”
America is more than just another place one finds on a map
It’s an idea, the idea that people should be free to govern themselves
It’s the idea that citizens can have a say about what goes on in their government
It’s the idea that people should be free from excessive government control over their own lives
It’s the idea that taxes and federal spending should be limited so individuals and businesses prosper
It’s the idea that e-mails and phone records of American citizens should be private
The idea of America is all about freedom, freedom to flourish, or freedom to fail on one’s own merit
Our patriot Founders planted the seeds of liberty in our great land
Cultivated with care, strengthened by sacrifice, freedom flourished
But a whirlwind of big government from Washington is threatening America’s tried-and-true values
Hampering the free-enterprise system, diminishing economic freedom, killing jobs and opportunity
We must reclaim the idea of America, the ideas of liberty and freedom, and bring the country back
To the ideals that made us great
Much blood has been shed for this idea of America and we cannot let it go to waste
But let us not lose hope, as I know we can take back our liberty
because whenever freedom gets an up-or-down vote in the heartland of America, freedom always wins

The 15/15 was clearly deserved; it sounds like your teacher has a strong left-wing bias.

There are no words to describe how brilliant that passage is. Really.

Some moron (hes a leftist) in my class wrote a retarded essay that was supposed to be about your feelings about America, but his was about flowers
His was called "blue rose" and went like this

"O mythical island of Ivory,
Where suns of Gilded Gold lie within,
High above the mists of penury,
O In the solemn skies of heaven, mapped,

Vast miasmic vapors strain to wander within,
Voracious, a tireless veil striking the forge, to fasten a key to begin,
Vile hazel clouds lay below, mining gates, endeavoring to get in,

All entombed below the alabaster City of Silver
Wherein lie a hundred, heated, holy, hearts of Gold
Jade, Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond, Opal, and Opulence tenfold
Along with buried hearts of dark, for Gold is cold, and thus neither is far apart"

This got a 20/20, while the essay that I wrote that was actually on topic

"America the Blessed: A Land of Free Enterprise

America is a land where anyone could be what they want to be
America is a land where we can be want we want to be
America is a land of opportunity
America where we were founded by the pilgrims & puritans
America is a good and holy place
America is where you and I can become good people
America, the best place to live in the world.
America, a land where we keep our nation safe from terrorists
America is the land where we used to protect free enterprise
America, the land where it is under attack by far-left radicals
America, land democrats despise
America, land that real Americans love
America, despite it’s setbacks will prevail like it always"

My poem got a 17/20, showing that the teacher is evil.

first one was a poem 2nd was a list of facts and not poetic.

neither of you deserved the high marks you got.

What is the name of your class, what subject is being taught?

Honors English 11

Interesting. I'm in Honors English 11 as well. We got a similar poem assignment in a Springboard workbook, so it must be used for a bunch of schools.

While my teacher has a clear liberal slant when presenting the material, she is relatively tolerant of opposing viewpoints and doesn't exert a Marxist bias when grading.

It’s the idea that citizens can have a say about what goes on in their government
It’s the idea that people should be free from excessive government control over their own lives
It’s the idea that taxes and federal spending should be limited so individuals and businesses prosper
It’s the idea that e-mails and phone records of American citizens should be private
The idea of America is all about freedom, freedom to flourish, or freedom to fail on one’s own merit
But a whirlwind of big government from Washington is threatening America’s tried-and-true values
Hampering the free-enterprise system, diminishing economic freedom, killing jobs and opportunity
We must reclaim the idea of America, the ideas of liberty and freedom, and bring the country back
Much blood has been shed for this idea of America and we cannot let it go to waste
because whenever freedom gets an up-or-down vote in the heartland of America, freedom always wins

The 15/15 was clearly deserved; it sounds like your teacher has a strong left-wing bias.

this poem is amazing, and portrays what Hussein is doing quite acurately. my poem also deserved a 20/20.

Honors English 11

this poem is amazing, and portrays what Hussein is doing quite acurately. my poem also deserved a 20/20.

Read what he wrote and compare it to the simplistic drivel you put out. He is a Conservative and put out political ideals from his perspective. You put out bumper sticker slogans.... America is a land of opportunity

You should kiss your teachers ass for not having the balls to tell you that your writing sucks. I guess he is a liberal because he is afraid to hurt your feelings and be accused of liberal bias

Soon you will be going to college where your writing deficiencies cannot be hidden. But like any good conservative, continue to blame the teacher, media, pollsters and ignorant public for your own shortfalls

Honors English 11

Honors English 11
English 11 - Honors Course Description: This course is a study of American Literature integrated into a study of American History. Writing assignments will be completed as practice for the AP United States History Exam. Students are taught to recognize literary concepts, devices, and authors. Mastery is exhibited through discussion, testing, writing assignments, and oral interpretation. The course of study involves discussion on the historical background of the recognized time period in American literature. The writing process is involved in assignments based upon the reading. Students will be tested throughout the year on required reading assignments (novels).

https://www.coursesites.com/webapps...EARN/courseHomepage.htmlx?course_id=_208290_1

I think they are trying to prepare you for College style writing.

That said, you say the assignment was to write about "your feelings" about America and you did.

Did your classmate tell you that the poem they wrote was about flowers?

Maybe they were writing in metaphors, How to Write a Metaphor (with Examples) - wikiHow

Political interpretations of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you did a good job with your feelings but in poetry you have to use clever disguises in conveying your words about how you feel, I am not very good at it myself. :cool:

The OP has said this is Honors English 11, which I imagine means 11th grade. You picked up a description of Honors English 11 from somewhere. Is that from the OP's school? Each school writes out their own description of a course, so if your description is not from the OP’s school, it may not be the same at all. If the OP's class is AP (advanced placement), then, yes, they are supposedly preparing him for college. The work should be at the level or close to the level of first year college work. In the course description you supplied, which may not be the same course the OP is taking, it says "Students are taught to recognize literary concepts, devices..." The teacher may be teaching them to recognize poetic elements, but based on the poems, they have not been taught to use them with any effectiveness. The first poem is gag me with a metaphor over blown in both language and imagery. It is awful. Absolutely grotesque. It is pretentious and without any natural or personal sincerity. The second poem has virtually no literary or poetic devices or characteristics except that it is written in verse and uses anaphora (one of the devices of repetition in which the same expression (word or words) is repeated at the beginning of two or more lines, clauses, or sentences). Also, rather than expressing a natural sincerity, it seems to simply regurgitate certain conservative values. Both poems completely lack the true 'voice' of the poet. Either the OP is completely putting us on, or the teacher in this 11th grade 'honors' English literature course is very incompetent. She/he may be teaching the students about poetry and poetic devices, and the students may have tried to use them; however, a strong clue to the teacher's incompetence is giving the completed assignments such high grades. Also, I question how a student who is apparently in 11th grade honors English literature can confuse an essay with a poem: the OP initially calls the work an essay.

As well, the OP has not said whether the teacher supplied any specific criteria for the grades; this is an indication of this either being a put on or that of a teacher of what should be a high level course giving an assignment without telling the students the criteria for grading it, which, of course, indicates incompetence on the teacher's part.

BTW, poets do not use "clever disguises in conveying [their] words" or ideas; it is just the opposite--they use very controlled and specific literary devices to make their ideas clearer and more precise, to have more impact, and to convey levels of meaning. The last thing a good poet is trying to do is to obscure ideas with trickery.

Honestly I was just trying to be supportive.

You are correct the person who made the original post did not provide enough information.

I am not a poet and I am not taking the class that's why I prefaced to say, I think" not "I know", although I have read some poetry that seems like the poet is trying to be clever with words to have double meanings which I personally see as indirect and kind of a disguise, that's just my opinion though.

However Honors English 11 is for high school students that much we can deduce. ;)

Last edited:
https://www.coursesites.com/webapps...EARN/courseHomepage.htmlx?course_id=_208290_1

I think they are trying to prepare you for College style writing.

That said, you say the assignment was to write about "your feelings" about America and you did.

Did your classmate tell you that the poem they wrote was about flowers?

Maybe they were writing in metaphors, How to Write a Metaphor (with Examples) - wikiHow

Political interpretations of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you did a good job with your feelings but in poetry you have to use clever disguises in conveying your words about how you feel, I am not very good at it myself. :cool:

The OP has said this is Honors English 11, which I imagine means 11th grade. You picked up a description of Honors English 11 from somewhere. Is that from the OP's school? Each school writes out their own description of a course, so if your description is not from the OP’s school, it may not be the same at all. If the OP's class is AP (advanced placement), then, yes, they are supposedly preparing him for college. The work should be at the level or close to the level of first year college work. In the course description you supplied, which may not be the same course the OP is taking, it says "Students are taught to recognize literary concepts, devices..." The teacher may be teaching them to recognize poetic elements, but based on the poems, they have not been taught to use them with any effectiveness. The first poem is gag me with a metaphor over blown in both language and imagery. It is awful. Absolutely grotesque. It is pretentious and without any natural or personal sincerity. The second poem has virtually no literary or poetic devices or characteristics except that it is written in verse and uses anaphora (one of the devices of repetition in which the same expression (word or words) is repeated at the beginning of two or more lines, clauses, or sentences). Also, rather than expressing a natural sincerity, it seems to simply regurgitate certain conservative values. Both poems completely lack the true 'voice' of the poet. Either the OP is completely putting us on, or the teacher in this 11th grade 'honors' English literature course is very incompetent. She/he may be teaching the students about poetry and poetic devices, and the students may have tried to use them; however, a strong clue to the teacher's incompetence is giving the completed assignments such high grades. Also, I question how a student who is apparently in 11th grade honors English literature can confuse an essay with a poem: the OP initially calls the work an essay.

As well, the OP has not said whether the teacher supplied any specific criteria for the grades; this is an indication of this either being a put on or that of a teacher of what should be a high level course giving an assignment without telling the students the criteria for grading it, which, of course, indicates incompetence on the teacher's part.

BTW, poets do not use "clever disguises in conveying [their] words" or ideas; it is just the opposite--they use very controlled and specific literary devices to make their ideas clearer and more precise, to have more impact, and to convey levels of meaning. The last thing a good poet is trying to do is to obscure ideas with trickery.

You are correct the person who made the original post did not provide enough information.

I am not a poet and I am not taking the class that's why I prefaced to say, I think" not "I know", although I have read some poetry that seems like the poet is trying to be clever with words to have double meanings which I personally see as indirect and kind of a disguise, that's just my opinion though.

However Honors English 11 is for high school students that much we can deduce. ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel like you were being attacked, just correcting you, and I do know a lot about poetry. Being supportive is okay, but being honest is important in order to help the student learn. It's the teacher in this case, if this is a real situation, who either isn't being honest or just doesn't know enough about teaching poetry. Not sure what's going on.

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel like you were being attacked, just correcting you, and I do know a lot about poetry. Being supportive is okay, but being honest is important in order to help the student learn. It's the teacher in this case, if this is a real situation, who either isn't being honest or just doesn't know enough about teaching poetry. Not sure what's going on.

Sounds like you are a writer !

I am not but I am in school myself and so I know how it feels to get a grade lower than what you expected even though I have a high GPA I always want a better grade. :lol:

I am not sure if this person's post is true or not but just in case it is I wanted to be encouraging :dunno:

Poets are sensitive people. And some of you are missing a sensitivity chip here.. imo.

Neither of these kids are poets; they are students. All people are sensitive about their writing, but if they want to write well and improve, being dishonest about it doesn't help them. A teacher should use terminology that is 'sensitive' and yet still honest. I am not this kid's teacher. Anyway, I only used insensitive criticism about the other poem, and that kid isn't here. I didn't use insensitive language about the OP's poem.

Last edited:

Read what he wrote and compare it to the simplistic drivel you put out. He is a Conservative and put out political ideals from his perspective. You put out bumper sticker slogans.... America is a land of opportunity

You should kiss your teachers ass for not having the balls to tell you that your writing sucks. I guess he is a liberal because he is afraid to hurt your feelings and be accused of liberal bias

Soon you will be going to college where your writing deficiencies cannot be hidden. But like any good conservative, continue to blame the teacher, media, pollsters and ignorant public for your own shortfalls

Hoosier4liberty admitted that my poem was better, so the point is moot.

Both poems are equally horrible, but, given the fact the teacher has given them both high grades, I conclude the inability of the students to write poetry is due to the teacher's inability to teach them how to write poetry. Failure all around.

Actually, mine was better. Mine ACTUALLY MADE SENSE

No it didn't....it was smaltzy and stupid.

On this board we expect links

Poets are sensitive people. And some of you are missing a sensitivity chip here.. imo.

Neither of these kids are poets; they are students. All people are sensitive about their writing, but if they want to write well and improve, being dishonest about it doesn't help them. A teacher should use terminology that is 'sensitive' and yet still honest. I am not this kid's teacher. Anyway, I only used insensitive criticism about the other poem, and that kid isn't here. I didn't use insensitive language about the OP's poem.

I am not sure if the original poster is actually a student or just trolling anyway.

Shrug.

He'll be on soon enough, but you are done.

if this is college level work, then my how times have changed? I do find it interesting that people construe our educational system as liberal. Can I then conclude that either our educational system is so skewed it has little value or that conservatives are below the curve?

It appears as though you are amongst the crowd that expresses their painful liberal bias as well. Needless to say, however, poetry doesn't matter. "Liberal Arts" are a subjective waste of time (Kind of like liberalism in general), as such everyone should get an A since NO ONE will ever use this in their lives. The only thing that really matters is the grade, learning is not a priority at all. The public school system should stop wasting their time with idiocy like this.

He'll be on soon enough, but you are done.

I have yet to see anyone in this thread compliment what you wrote

I have yet to see you use the thing that exists in your head (though it is going a bit far to assume that liberals have that thing). Numerous people such as Koshergrl, and Hoosier4liberty have complimented my poem, while you, the inept liberal that you are, has merely stumbled along throwing invectives at everyone.

Were you looking for honest feedback? If so it seems most people didn't care for your poem. I think it was a good attempt, but learning requires the ability to accept honest feedback and use it to grow. If you felt you were correct in your assessment of the situation, there was very little point in seeking feedback.

It appears as though you are amongst the crowd that expresses their painful liberal bias as well. Needless to say, however, poetry doesn't matter. "Liberal Arts" are a subjective waste of time (Kind of like liberalism in general), as such everyone should get an A since NO ONE will ever use this in their lives. The only thing that really matters is the grade, learning is not a priority at all. The public school system should stop wasting their time with idiocy like this.

Yes, a world without liberal arts because it is meaningless. That would be so cool: no music, no cinema, no newspapers or magazines, no photography, no novels or any kind of literature, no theatre, no dance, no visual arts, and so on. Yes, NO ONE who goes to school ever needs the kind of skills they learn in liberal arts. Everything you see around you is an illusiion, doesn't exist. You don't actually watch television because there are no writers, directors, actors, etc., to create television programs. You don't listen to music because there are no musicians. You don't watch movies because they don't exist as there are no writers, actors, directors, producers who learned the skills to create films because film schools and liberal arts programs are just garbage. You don't have any visual art on the walls of your home because it doesn't exist as there are no visual artists as liberal arts is a waste of time. "NO ONE" will ever use skills learned in liberal arts classes, never. Uh huh.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back