Mysterious ice deposits suggest the moon shifted on its axis

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
For nearly two decades, scientists have known of two regions on the moon – one about 6 degrees off the north pole and the other off the south pole – that appear to harbor ice. Why it is there and not at the frigid poles with the rest of the moon’s ice, nobody knew.

On Wednesday, a team of researchers proposed a theory. According to their calculations, the moon must have shifted on its axis by nearly 6 degrees over the course of a billion years, displacing the icy regions off the poles. This is supported by the fact that the northern and southern regions of ice are directly opposite each other, say scientists.

“So that a line drawn from one end to the other would pass through the center of the moon,” said researchers from the Planetary Science Institute, University of Arizona, and other institutions around the globe, in an announcement of the research published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

This type of shift is known is a true polar wander, a phenomenon caused when centripetal forces on a rotating body, such as a planet, shift the whole outer surface to move mass toward the center, or the equator, to conserve angular momentum.
Mysterious ice deposits suggest the moon shifted on its axis

It's an interesting theory. I wish we could access the journal without having to pay.

Maybe the universe tilted it's axis and the moon is rolled downhill a bit? Or uphill, or to the side, or not! I have always wondered how a person can be standing upright at the pole in Anarctica when they are upside down? Or is there no up or down at all? So many questions and so little time! The next time you want to do a little light reading, download from Kindle, the book entitled (be back in a minute) REALITY, a short introduction by Jan Westerhof. That is really, "real". I have gotten lost on three occasions or attempts. Talk about head games!

Last edited:
The journal "Nature" is the most prestigious journal between scientists worldwide. Rarely can an even internationally famous scientist publish in it more than once. Can call it the elite of the elite, of the trend setters of the scientific progress of the world.

I set out under the moon in my backyard a lot..... and enjoy a beer. I like looking at a full moon.

I would rather set under the night stars ( better with little or no moon ) and watch satellites pass by. I watch them, and them log them down on my I-Phone "notes".

------------------------------------

International Space Station passing overhead. Traveling at about 17,000 miles per hour.

--------------------------------

Daily predictions for brighter satellites

I have logged old rocket bodies - US Navy communications satellites - US Navy Ocean Surveillance Satellites - NRO Reconnaissance satellites - Foreign Government Signal Intelligence satellites - Ground Surveillance Radar satellites - Atmospheric Testing satellites......adn a host of others.

Kind of fun to set out in my yard and watch above. Some satellites views last a few seconds, up to three or four minutes in length.

-----------------

Satellites

Info - Navy Satellite
Naval Ocean Surveillance System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Satellites location
NOSS 3-4 (C) - Orbit

NRO - Lacrosse
Lacrosse (satellite) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lacrosse Location
Lacrosse 5 - Satellite Information

-----------------------------------

Satellite watching and tracking is kind of a fun hobby. Relaxing and enjoyable. I use to be big into radio scanners and finding radio frequencies. Now.......Watching Satellites and Camping is enjoyable.

Shadow 355

Forum List

Back