N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

When asked why she was pulled over all she had to say was give me my ticket and i'll be on my way.
Instead she wanted to be a smart ass....I'm sorry but I dont have any sympathy for people like her.
You mean intelligent people that assert their Rights???

Nope,smart asses who go out of their way to start shit.
To some, asserting your rights is starting shit...lol.

What reason did she have for refusing to answer the cops simple question?
I mean really,it was a traffic ticket for fucks sake!

And if she really wanted to defuse the situation all she had to say was she is choosing to remain silent.

You idiots on the extrmes are . . . idiotic.

All she had to was be polite, but she wanted to pick a fight she will lose.]

All the cops had to do was be polite, explain to her she had to answer basic questions that did not incriminate here, but they acted idiotically as well.
Sorry Bucko but you are dead wrong.
She didn't have to answer any "basic"questions and now the idiots that violated her rights just caused that woman to win a hefty settlement.

[

But it is a right tho? One that isnt illegal correct?

Sure, but doing so PRIOR to arrest will most likely result in your arrest.

The right to silence must be exercised in conjunction with counsel to be effective.

If you've done nothing wrong, the smart thing to do is say that you've done nothing wrong.

Both sides were stupid.
If she were simply exercising her right to remain silent, as was her 5th Amend Right and arrested for it, why read a person their rights at all???
in the event there is anything said. Protects the police.
The reading of the person's Rights aren't there to protect the police...OMG!!!
They are read to protect the citizen...
no, it is to warn them that anything they say will be used against them. Therefore, after Mirandized folks who talk give up their rights and what they say can be used in court. So the police were making sure she knew this so that when they lock her ass up she was warned.
Maybe this topic is a little above your understanding, let's make it plain:

Every U.S. jurisdiction has its own regulations regarding what, precisely, must be said to a person arrested or placed in a custodial situation. The typical warning states:[4]
A General Miranda Warning.
  • You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions.
  • Anything you say may be used against you in a court of law.
  • You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future.
  • If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish.
  • If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present, you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney.
  • Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?
If the defendant asserts his right to remain silent all interrogation must immediately stop and the police may not resume the interrogation unless the police have "scrupulously honored" the defendant's assertion and obtain a valid waiver before resuming the interrogation

The first and foremost protection is to the citizen's right to refuse to speak with the police...period.
Of course not. Why do people think this. They watch too much television. Refuse to answer basic questions, get arrested, simple. Then you will have time to think about how stupid you are.

she didn't have to say a damn thing to him. she's certainly not under any obligation to admit to anything.

False.

A "ticket" is legally a release on your own recognizance. If you fail to cooperate, you will not be released. The ticket is a signed promise to appear in court, If you do not sign, you will be taken in.

I was a Police Officer for over 20 years.
As soon as I pull you over I'm looking for probable cause to either get in your car or search you.
What you say can go a long way in giving me reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

I was always nice, even when you gave me enough to lock you up.

[

The right to silence must be exercised in conjunction with counsel to be effective.

If you've done nothing wrong, the smart thing to do is say that you've done nothing wrong.
You are wrong, you need no counsel present to exercise your right to remain silent.
Where did you come up with that???

I was a Police Officer for over 20 years.
As soon as I pull you over I'm looking for probable cause to either get in your car or search you.
What you say can go a long way in giving me reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

I was always nice, even when you gave me enough to lock you up.

I assume that was before the wall fell? Afterwords you lost your authority....

[

You are wrong, you need no counsel present to exercise your right to remain silent.

Read for content, Comrade.

TO BE EFFECTIVE.

You have the right to remain silent,. If you never speak, expect to be convicted. Putting up a defense is vital to surviving the America judicial system, which is adversarial by design.

she didn't have to say a damn thing to him. she's certainly not under any obligation to admit to anything.

False.

A "ticket" is legally a release on your own recognizance. If you fail to cooperate, you will not be released. The ticket is a signed promise to appear in court, If you do not sign, you will be taken in.
You just tripped over your own words...signing a citation is not admitting anything criminal or illegal, it simply obligates you to show for your court date.

[

Read for content, Comrade.

TO BE EFFECTIVE.

You have the right to remain silent,. If you never speak, expect to be convicted. Putting up a defense is vital to surviving the America judicial system, which is adversarial by design.
Sorry we left you intellectually at post #3...we are discussing this incident on this thread.
No one needs to put up a defense at a traffic stop...Good God!!!

You idiots on the extrmes are . . . idiotic.

All she had to was be polite, but she wanted to pick a fight she will lose.]

All the cops had to do was be polite, explain to her she had to answer basic questions that did not incriminate here, but they acted idiotically as well.
Sorry Bucko but you are dead wrong.
She didn't have to answer any "basic"questions and now the idiots that violated her rights just caused that woman to win a hefty settlement.
Her rights were not violated and she will have to pay a hefty fine.

[

Did you rob that store???
Officer I exercise my right to remain silent...

At which point the handcuffs go on.

If that's you're goal, it's a great way to get there.

Easy enough for Conservatives to mimic the sounds...

Have you been drinking?
And later after the Probable Cause hearing, I can collect my check.
There are no probable cause hearings for traffic violations.

Forum List

Back