🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Nanny/Police State: NYC Ban On Large Sugared Drinks...

Take a step., what do you do when self control fails.

When people are unable or unwilling to stop the activity that is killing them, what is a guvmint to do?

Not educate? Not restrict access? Nothing should be done seems to be what you are saying.

Just have at it and don't worry cause we will pick up your medical bills when you end up in the hospital.

Is that what you think is right?

I dont think the gubmint has any place in healthcare, so i dont see why it should be the gubmint that picks up the tab for lazy fucks who dont want to live. If they want to be fat slobs, then be fat slobs.

Education is the best way to do it, but not from government, from solid moral foundation, good parenting and community work. A long lost art in this country of nanny state LOLberals.

But the government IS in healthcare, and will inevitably continue to BE in healthcare,

so if you have any sense you will adjust your thinking to accommodate reality.

How can a person be a liberal but yet enforce their way of thinking on others? :dunno:

I think it is exactly this belief in contradictions that is the hall mark symptom of moon-battiness.

Over time holding contradictory beliefs is what makes liberals crazy.

I just don't get how someone can call themselves a Liberal but than want to go bat shit crazy and ban everything they don't like, that reminds me of the Muslims in the Middle East than anything.

Yup. Totalitarians are Totalitarians. Some like to call themselves Liberals,Progressives,Conservatives , and so on. But in the end a Totalitarian is just a Totalitarian. They want to force their will on others.

I think it is exactly this belief in contradictions that is the hall mark symptom of moon-battiness.

Over time holding contradictory beliefs is what makes liberals crazy.

I just don't get how someone can call themselves a Liberal but than want to go bat shit crazy and ban everything they don't like, that reminds me of the Muslims in the Middle East than anything.

Yup. Totalitarians are Totalitarians. Some like to call themselves Liberals,Progressives,Conservatives , and so on. But in the end a Totalitarian is just a Totalitarian. They want to force their will on others.

Theyu're just control freaks that need to be smacked down HARD at the polling booth by the people.

This should get all the loyal Nanny/Police Staters very excited.

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

A spokesman for the New York City Beverage Association, an arm of the soda industry’s national trade group, criticized the city’s proposal on Wednesday. The industry has clashed repeatedly with the city’s health department, saying it has unfairly singled out soda; industry groups have bought subway advertisements promoting their cause.

“The New York City health department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top,” the industry spokesman, Stefan Friedman, said. “It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity. These zealous proposals just distract from the hard work that needs to be done on this front"...

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Wow! Bloomberg a Control Freak! Who Knew! :lol:

What's next? Potato Chips? Under Law, you can now only eat one?

I wonder if someone could use the "But, But, But, I didn't swallow" defense.

Jillian, where are you on this one?

Will you admit at least, that Bloomberg is like a bad Penney? :lol:
Yep. He sure keeps turning up again and again.

The trouble with C6 H12 O6 is that it has empty calories with only 1 obvious advantage: quick energy. It is implicated as deleterious to hyperactive children but advantageous to a scholar who would like to do well on a test as the only food the brain accepts.

It's the argument of hyperactivity vs. food for thought.

Some parents didn't have food chemistry in school and don't know how to balance a child's diet. The State of New York is intervening, and if it's like other educational propositions the state has no business in, I predict a burgeoning obesity epidemic in the state, because like prohibition, pass a law against it, and people have to have it.

Too many silly laws on the books against free choice. *sigh*

Take a step., what do you do when self control fails.

When people are unable or unwilling to stop the activity that is killing them, what is a guvmint to do?

Not educate? Not restrict access? Nothing should be done seems to be what you are saying.

Just have at it and don't worry cause we will pick up your medical bills when you end up in the hospital.

Is that what you think is right?

Then you support the idea that AIDS treatment should not be given to gays or IV drug users. Nor should skiers get broken legs set.

Now you can equate food with illegal drugs but that is just foolishness.

This should get all the loyal Nanny/Police Staters very excited.

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

A spokesman for the New York City Beverage Association, an arm of the soda industry’s national trade group, criticized the city’s proposal on Wednesday. The industry has clashed repeatedly with the city’s health department, saying it has unfairly singled out soda; industry groups have bought subway advertisements promoting their cause.

“The New York City health department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top,” the industry spokesman, Stefan Friedman, said. “It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity. These zealous proposals just distract from the hard work that needs to be done on this front"...

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

The trouble with C6 H12 O6 is that it has empty calories with only 1 obvious advantage: quick energy. It is implicated as deleterious to hyperactive children but advantageous to a scholar who would like to do well on a test as the only food the brain accepts.

Some parents didn't have food chemistry in school and don't know how to balance a child's diet. The State of New York is intervening, and if it's like other educational propositions the state has no business in, I predict a burgeoning obesity epidemic in the state, because like prohibition, pass a law against it, and people have to have it.

Indeed. Will we see 'Soda Wars' and Speak Easies for Soda, as I am sure there are 'Grease Easies' right now for banned Trans Fats in NYC?

When will the madness ever end?

Indeed. Will we see 'Soda Wars' and Speak Easies for Soda, as I am sure there are 'Grease Easies' right now for banned Trans Fats in NYC?

I don't know, The T. People change over time. Giuliani halted crime in NYC on his watch and did some budget control to help pay salaries of city employees, but by the end of his term, his family life was wrecked, but problematic murders on the street were down over 70%, the pressure must be tremendous to someone who takes balancing the books and justice in society seriously.

Soda is another story. If people drink a lot of it, they run a risk of cancer, because carbonated water flushes out potassium, and if everyone replaced their potassium levels with a banana every time a soda pop took K out, they wouldn't be able to make it through the door. Maybe if they told people "Hey, too much pop will give ya a stint instead of a butt," people would choose to cut down on the pop independently.

Make it a law, and it will go over like prohibition. Education is the key to getting people to take better care of themselves, not footshoot laws.

I don't know, The T. People change over time. Giuliani halted crime in NYC on his watch and did some budget control to help pay salaries of city employees, but by the end of his term, his family life was wrecked, but problematic murders on the street were down over 70%, the pressure must be tremendous to someone who takes balancing the books and justice in society seriously.

Soda is another story. If people drink a lot of it, they run a risk of cancer, because carbonated water flushes out potassium, and if everyone replaced their potassium levels with a banana every time a soda pop took K out, they wouldn't be able to make it through the door. Maybe if they told people "Hey, too much pop will give ya a stint instead of a butt," people would choose to cut down on the pop independently.

Make it a law, and it will go over like prohibition. Education is the key to getting people to take better care of themselves, not footshoot laws.

Couldn't agree more. NannyState is NOT the way.

People havent been educated to know how to take better care of themselves? You talk as if people dont know and all they have to do is know better and they will do better. How is that working so far?

Here's the irony, Who should do the educating? :lol:

People havent been educated to know how to take better care of themselves? You talk as if people dont know and all they have to do is know better and they will do better. How is that working so far?

PEOPLE themselves. Take the IRON and stick it up yer ass.

Suffice it to say, the Empire State is one if not the most liberal state. According to a Mercatus Study New York is the least free of 50 states.
You think you have to hogtie and gag New Yorkers into taking better care of themselves rather than teaching them about too low potassium levels in the blood invites cancers to proliferate? I happen to think New Yorkers are smart enough, if told, to take personal responsibility for themselves and reducing the size and scope of hospices in their state with knowledge.

Oh, and the Live Free or Die Granite State? They're #1 and beat us all. :)

Ban the big gulp wow. So how do you stop people from buying two smaller drinks to add up to the size of the banned one?

Mayor Bloomberg is not a liberal.

He is a progressive.

And trying to ban sugared drinks is not a "liberal" concept, it is a progressive concept.

If you listened to Jon Stewart lay in to Bloomberg and his stupid-assed plan, last night, you would know that there's a difference.

So the people who need educating should educate themselves? :lol:

We're #1 in the world at being fat. How is educating yourself working for America so far?

It isn't like prohibition. Soda hasn't been banned, it just costs twice as much.

Suffice it to say, the Empire State is one if not the most liberal state. According to a Mercatus Study New York is the least free of 50 states.
You think you have to hogtie and gag New Yorkers into taking better care of themselves rather than teaching them about too low potassium levels in the blood invites cancers to proliferate? I happen to think New Yorkers are smart enough, if told, to take personal responsibility for themselves and reducing the size and scope of hospices in their state with knowledge.

Oh, and the Live Free or Die Granite State? They're #1 and beat us all. :)

Any wonder New Yorkers are leaving?

Shame. it's a pretty State too...

We're #1 in the world at being fat. How is educating yourself working for America so far?

Glad YOU see Liberty to educate oneself a function ONLY the STATE can produce.

YOU are a fucking moron.

Glad YOU see Liberty to educate oneself a function ONLY the STATE can produce.

YOU are a fucking moron.

No idiot, I asked you: The same people who need educating should educate themselves on the thing they need educating on?

Forum List

Back