Nashville Pastor Ray Ortlund's endorsement of Harris goes really, really badly: 'I should have foreseen it

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

Pastor Ray Ortlund of Immanuel Church in Nashville, Tennessee, caught hell over the weekend for endorsing Kamala Harris. After trying to defend the statement, the Renewal Ministries president ultimately took down the social media post with the endorsement, claiming it had been "misinterpreted."

"Never Trump. This time Harris. Always Jesus," Ortlund wrote on Threads.

Self-identified conservative David French of the New York Times — who recently did his best to characterize a vote for Harris as the way to "save conservatism" — responded to Ortlund, "This is the way."

Other Christians were less understanding and quickly piled on.

William Wolfe, founder and executive director for the Center for Baptist Leadership, wrote that Ortlund, Russell Moore's pastor, is the "quintessential 'Big Eva' pastor [a]nd now he's using the name of Christ to endorse a pro-abortion, pro-trans communist."

Extra to supporting taxpayer-funded sex changes for illegal aliens, Harris has committed to codifying abortion as a federal right and has personally targeted a pro-life activist for exposing the trafficking of butchered babies' remains.

Oklahoma state Sen. Dusty Deevers (R) noted that Ortlund endorsed a ticket that supports "kidnapping the children of parents who oppose child genital mutilation[;] Tampons in boys' bathrooms[;] Child murder up to birth and beyond[;] Covid snitch lines[;] Communism[;] And much more."

Some critics shared a video of Harris' running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, announcing protections for those who would subject minors to sex-change mutilations — something President Donald Trump has vowed to criminalize.

"If you claim to be an evangelical but plan to back the most liberal Senator and the most progressive platform in U.S. history — both of which blatantly contradict fundamental biblical principles of creation order and justice — then you have no right to lecture others about sticking to principles and voting with integrity," wrote Andrew T. Walker, associate professor of Christian ethics and public theology at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. "The Democratic platform and the Bible cannot co-exist without one subverting the other."

Megan Basham, author of "Shepherds for Sale," noted that "it's understandable that some Christians feel they cannot back Trump. It is not understandable to back Harris. Don't confuse Ortlund with principled third party voters or abstainers. This is indefensible."

When asked how he could vote for Harris and Walz, especially in light of their pro-abortion agenda, Ortlund responded, "Abortion is a horrible evil. But the evils on the other side have risen to levels that jeopardize the foundational rule of law in our country. I am thinking long-term and voting for us to have a chance at national renewal in the future."

The pastor's defense prompted more criticism.

"If Pastor Ortlund is truly concerned about not jeopardizing the rule of law in America, one has to wonder where he has been during the past nearly four years," wrote John G. West, vice president of the Discovery Institute.

After alluding to Democratic lawfare, the Biden-Harris administration's encouragement of censorship on social media, prosecutions of peaceful pro-life protesters, and the "refusal to enforce laws already on the books," West noted, "This [is] only a short list of what has been happening. But Ortlund assures us that in order to protect the rule of law we must vote for the same people responsible for these things."

Sunday evening, Ortlund deleted his endorsement, writing, "I have deleted a post from earlier today because it was being misinterpreted. I should have foreseen it. My fault."

When pressed on how it was being interpreted, the pastor suggested that answering that question "could risk reversing [his] decision to delete."

This guy may as well give up his ministry at this point.

Wow.

Pastor Ray Ortlund of Immanuel Church in Nashville, Tennessee, caught hell over the weekend for endorsing Kamala Harris. After trying to defend the statement, the Renewal Ministries president ultimately took down the social media post with the endorsement, claiming it had been "misinterpreted."

Self-identified conservative David French of the New York Times — who recently did his best to characterize a vote for Harris as the way to "save conservatism" — responded to Ortlund, "This is the way."

William Wolfe, founder and executive director for the Center for Baptist Leadership, wrote that Ortlund, Russell Moore's pastor, is the "quintessential 'Big Eva' pastor [a]nd now he's using the name of Christ to endorse a pro-abortion, pro-trans communist."

Extra to supporting taxpayer-funded sex changes for illegal aliens, Harris has committed to codifying abortion as a federal right and has personally targeted a pro-life activist for exposing the trafficking of butchered babies' remains.

Oklahoma state Sen. Dusty Deevers (R) noted that Ortlund endorsed a ticket that supports "kidnapping the children of parents who oppose child genital mutilation[;] Tampons in boys' bathrooms[;] Child murder up to birth and beyond[;] Covid snitch lines[;] Communism[;] And much more."

Some critics shared a video of Harris' running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, announcing protections for those who would subject minors to sex-change mutilations — something President Donald Trump has vowed to criminalize.

"If you claim to be an evangelical but plan to back the most liberal Senator and the most progressive platform in U.S. history — both of which blatantly contradict fundamental biblical principles of creation order and justice — then you have no right to lecture others about sticking to principles and voting with integrity," wrote Andrew T. Walker, associate professor of Christian ethics and public theology at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. "The Democratic platform and the Bible cannot co-exist without one subverting the other."

Megan Basham, author of "Shepherds for Sale," noted that "it's understandable that some Christians feel they cannot back Trump. It is not understandable to back Harris. Don't confuse Ortlund with principled third party voters or abstainers. This is indefensible."

When asked how he could vote for Harris and Walz, especially in light of their pro-abortion agenda, Ortlund responded, "Abortion is a horrible evil. But the evils on the other side have risen to levels that jeopardize the foundational rule of law in our country. I am thinking long-term and voting for us to have a chance at national renewal in the future."

"If Pastor Ortlund is truly concerned about not jeopardizing the rule of law in America, one has to wonder where he has been during the past nearly four years," wrote John G. West, vice president of the Discovery Institute.

After alluding to Democratic lawfare, the Biden-Harris administration's encouragement of censorship on social media, prosecutions of peaceful pro-life protesters, and the "refusal to enforce laws already on the books," West noted, "This [is] only a short list of what has been happening. But Ortlund assures us that in order to protect the rule of law we must vote for the same people responsible for these things."

Sunday evening, Ortlund deleted his endorsement, writing, "I have deleted a post from earlier today because it was being misinterpreted. I should have foreseen it. My fault."

When pressed on how it was being interpreted, the pastor suggested that answering that question "could risk reversing [his] decision to delete."

Wow.

Nashville has Christian Churches with gay pride stuff displayed all over town...

Nashville has Christian Churches with gay pride stuff displayed all over town...

That's what I really don't get about the Religious Left.

I can understand, even if I don't agree with it, the idea that men busting each other's cheeks is no longer considered a sin.

However, the way they glorify homosexuality and proudly wave the flag of Sodom on their sanctuaries is really offensive.

I can understand, even if I don't agree with it, the idea that men busting each other's cheeks is no longer considered a sin.

However, the way they glorify homosexuality and proudly wave the flag of Sodom on their sanctuaries is really offensive.

and they won't even support school vouchers either....

Wow.

This guy is right. Tghis is an example of what Trump thugs do to anyone who speaks the truth. You cannot believe in God and support Trump. Trump was rebuked by Jesus Christ.

and they won't even support school vouchers either....
You want to send your kids to private schools? Pay for it yourself.

We know you fringe right wing nutters want to destroy the public school system in this country to remake it into your so called Evangelical "born again" bullshit & shove it down everyone's throat.

No thanks.

What offends me is how right wing garbage like you take the name of God in vain. You have no power of attorney from God allowing you to condemn what others do. You don't speak for God. You are more akin to the pharisees who ignored God in favor of their own prejudices.

We know you fringe right wing nutters want to destroy the public school system in this country to remake it into your so called Evangelical "born again" bullshit & shove it down everyone's throat.

No thanks.

Fascists do not like choice or freedom...

9 Great Reasons Christians Should Vote For Kamala Harris
Theology·Sep 30, 2024 · BabylonBee.com
Click here to view this article with reduced ads.
Article Image

Here are the best reasons to vote for Kamala:

1. She can't talk very good, just like Moses: She has clearly been chosen by God.
  2. David French is voting for her: As David French goes, so goes all of Christendom.
  3. You can get sent to maximum security prison for protesting an abortion clinic — a great witnessing opportunity: Think of all the good you can do.
  4. Speaking of abortion, murdered babies go straight to Heaven: Don't you want babies in Heaven?
  5. The church has always grown under persecution: We need persecution now more than ever.
  6. God will be impressed by your superior righteousness: If Jesus were here, he would support Kamala to make the Republican party turn on Trump and go back to much better people like Dick Cheney, even if that requires killing thousands of children and letting the world become engulfed in war. It's in the Bible.
  7. She is totally brat: We're not sure what this means, but it's a word the hip kids are saying and we Christians should strive to remain culturally relevant.
  8. She will usher in the end times so that we can meet Jesus sooner: Nice!
  9. Trump is literally Satan: And Hitler and Stalin and Judas.

Wow.
And float to earth under his golden parachute

Fascists do not like choice or freedom...
Well, we're not fascists for one thing & we don't want your fringe religious horseshit shoved down our throats.

Like I said, you want to send your kids to public schools because you think it's so important to do so, then pay for it yourself. Put your money where your mouth is instead of expecting everyone else to pick up the tab.

Well, we're not fascists for one thing & we don't want your fringe religious horseshit shoved down our throats.

Like I said, you want to send your kids to public schools because you think it's so important to do so, then pay for it yourself. Put your money where your mouth is instead of expecting everyone else to pick up the tab.

You support

1. gun control/confiscation
2. state sponsored DNA discrimination
3. socialism
4. use of biased/controlled media to lie to the public
5. hate hoaxes/false flag attacks
6. censorship
7. state sponsored abortions
8. election fraud
9. sick experiments like trans surgery and Fauxi

You and Hitler disagree on NOTHING...

No thanks.
What is left of Public Schools can be destroyed by Republicans?

Democrats have destroyed the public schools to the level they force inner city Blacks to stay in crumbling schools by denying them vouchers.

You support

1. gun control/confiscation
2. state sponsored DNA discrimination
3. socialism
4. use of biased/controlled media to lie to the public
5. hate hoaxes/false flag attacks
6. censorship
7. state sponsored abortions
8. election fraud
9. sick experiments like trans surgery and Fauxi

You and Hitler disagree on NOTHING...
Another clueless spoonfed MAGA turd.