Native Americans Not Offended by Washington Redskins

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
The Washington Post is reporting a new poll that finds that a majority of Native Americans are not offended by the name of Washington, D.C.'s football team, the Washington Redskins.

John Woodrow Cox, Scott Clement and Theresa Vargas report:

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the exact same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.

The poll was conducted by by telephone Dec. 16 to April 12 among a random sample of 504 Native American adults. The poll asked. "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive, or doesn't it bother you?"

90 percent said "does not bother," 9 percent said it was offense, and 1 percent had no opinion.

The Washington Redskins name has been controversial in recent years. In 2014 the federal Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled that the team’s name is offensive to Native Americans and therefore ineligible for federal trademark protection under the Lanham Act, which bars protection for names that “may disparage” or bring people into contempt or disrepute. That decision was overturned in 2015 by the The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

In response to the poll. Redskin owner Daniel Snyder issued a statement: “The Washington Redskins team, our fans and community have always believed our name represents honor, respect and pride. Today’s Washington Post polling shows Native Americans agree. We are gratified by this overwhelming support from the Native American community, and the team will proudly carry the Redskins name.”

Poll was conducted by phone? WTF?

How else do they take polls?

Silly far left drone..
You must be retarded or something. People walk up to you and ask you.

Another irony impaired post from the far left drones..

See how they do not know anything about the subjects they comment on, they just run with narrative. No matter how wrong that narrative is..
I only see you are retarded. I've taken a couple of polls just by having someone come up to me when i was walking out of a supermarket. You must have been dropped on your head as a child or fed lead paint chips.

Poll was conducted by phone? WTF?

How else do they take polls?

Silly far left drone..
You must be retarded or something. People walk up to you and ask you.

Another irony impaired post from the far left drones..

See how they do not know anything about the subjects they comment on, they just run with narrative. No matter how wrong that narrative is..
I only see you are retarded. I've taken a couple of polls just by having someone come up to me when i was walking out of a supermarket. You must have been dropped on your head as a child or fed lead paint chips.

And the far left drones just keep proving my comments!

Obama isn't satisfied creating resentment between blacks and whites. If there is another way to show whitey is a racist he'll exploit it. Thing is there was no ground swell of Native American disdain for the Redskins or the Indians or Apache choppers, or Tomahawk missiles etc until Obama told them to be offended. They said nothing of their angst over the matter the day before...

I am part native American, Iroquois Nation one of the most brutal and epic Indian nations. I have white skin and fine blond hair but dark brown eyes. So far I have not heard any complaints about the Cleveland Indians baseball team.

The Washington Post is reporting a new poll that finds that a majority of Native Americans are not offended by the name of Washington, D.C.'s football team, the Washington Redskins.

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the exact same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.

The poll was conducted by by telephone Dec. 16 to April 12 among a random sample of 504 Native American adults. The poll asked. "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive, or doesn't it bother you?"

90 percent said "does not bother," 9 percent said it was offense, and 1 percent had no opinion.

The Washington Redskins name has been controversial in recent years. In 2014 the federal Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled that the team’s name is offensive to Native Americans and therefore ineligible for federal trademark protection under the Lanham Act, which bars protection for names that “may disparage” or bring people into contempt or disrepute. That decision was overturned in 2015 by the The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

In response to the poll. Redskin owner Daniel Snyder issued a statement: “The Washington Redskins team, our fans and community have always believed our name represents honor, respect and pride. Today’s Washington Post polling shows Native Americans agree. We are gratified by this overwhelming support from the Native American community, and the team will proudly carry the Redskins name.”

Can anybody explain to me why the offended American Indians didn't say something when the mascot name first appeared. It's been around since the 1930's. How did they all suddenly decide they were offended?

I am part native American, Iroquois Nation one of the most brutal and epic Indian nations. I have white skin and fine blond hair but dark brown eyes. So far I have not heard any complaints about the Cleveland Indians baseball team.
There seems to be a lot of self-racist native Americans here. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Can anybody explain to me why the offended American Indians didn't say something when the mascot name first appeared. It's been around since the 1930's. How did they all suddenly decide they were offended?

Party with the Indians on the reservation around a camp fire telling ghost stories. Entrée is almost raw deer meat when the blood drips down your lips, you Indian.

Party with the Indians on the reservation around a camp fire telling ghost stories. Entrée is almost raw deer meat when the blood drips down your lips, you Indian.

It's got to be bloody when you eat venison. Over cooked, like even medium rare, the flavor is not good, IMO.

As a Native American, I can tell you that I am personally more offended by "Native American" than "Redskin." People generally raise an eyebrow here and question my statement....

It's like this.... Native American is a label applied to my people by the white man to make himself feel better about what he did to us. It implies that we are the native people of a country called America.... We are an indigenous tribe who lived here long before there was ever an America. We are the Hacha hatak (river people) who lived along the eastern Mississippi river valley. White men called us Choctaw.

There are other indigenous people like the tribe to the northeast of us. We called them the Cha-la-kee... (people of the mountains). White men called them Cherokee. Our tribes got along well and respected each other's territory and cultures. There were many other tribes, all had their own set of customs, cultures, traditions. All of that has been erased forever by the white man. We were systemically rounded up and marched off our land to live out our days on reservations and our individual cultures were forgotten... we all became collectively known as Indians and later, Native Americans.

Now... how could something like that possibly be offensive?

As a Native American, I can tell you that I am personally more offended by "Native American" than "Redskin." People generally raise an eyebrow here and question my statement....

It's like this.... Native American is a label applied to my people by the white man to make himself feel better about what he did to us. It implies that we are the native people of a country called America.... We are an indigenous tribe who lived here long before there was ever an America. We are the Hacha hatak (river people) who lived along the eastern Mississippi river valley. White men called us Choctaw.

There are other indigenous people like the tribe to the northeast of us. We called them the Cha-la-kee... (people of the mountains). White men called them Cherokee. Our tribes got along well and respected each other's territory and cultures. There were many other tribes, all had their own set of customs, cultures, traditions. All of that has been erased forever by the white man. We were systemically rounded up and marched off our land to live out our days on reservations and our individual cultures were forgotten... we all became collectively known as Indians and later, Native Americans.

Now... how could something like that possibly be offensive?

It's an unfortunate case of "to the winner goes the spoils". It wasn't handled well.

Forum List

Back