Navy lowers weight standards so obese women can stay in the service.

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Women are now allowed to have 36% body fat, while men must be under 26%. It should be 10% and the same for both sexes.

WORLD | Navy eases body fat standards in effort to retain sailors | Michael Cochrane | March 14, 2016

march 14 2016 Navy Petty Officer Lentoyi White, 26, feared she’d be dismissed from the service after twice failing the Navy’s body composition assessment (BCA), which measures body fat percentage. But in January, the Navy loosened its body fat restrictions for both men and women, giving White and thousands of other sailors another chance to stay in the Navy.

“I am very grateful for a second chance with this new policy,” said White, a single mother with a 5-year-old daughter. White has gone from 212 pounds to 188 and is optimistic she’ll pass this spring under the new standards.

Under the Navy’s previous standards, sailors had three chances to pass the BCA before being considered for dismissal. But now, the 2,400 sailors who failed all three will get another shot to pass the BCA under the new standards this spring.

The Navy’s old policy allowed for 22 percent body fat for males ages 17-39, and 33 percent body fat for females ages 17-39. The new standards increase the maximums to 26 percent for men and 36 percent for women, but those percentages are considered by many health experts to be in the obese category. According to the American Council on Exercise, a man with more than 25 percent body fat is considered obese. For women, 32 percent body fat counts as obese.

This is yet another form of anti-male affirmative action. Imagine the media outcry if women had to meet a tougher standard than men.

I struggled with weight issues most of the time I was in, because I have a very large frame. The Army uses weight standards from the 19th century, and it shows.

I struggled with weight issues most of the time I was in, because I have a very large frame. The Army uses weight standards from the 19th century, and it shows.

So you're not fat? You have weight issues. ??? HAHA. And michael moore has a slight weight problem.

So you're not fat? You have weight issues. ??? HAHA. And michael moore has a slight weight problem.
Sorry, but you should take it from those of us who served, the BMI standards are already unreasonable as is. I watched men who don't remotely look fat "bust tape" as did I. I struggled to attain the Army's ridiculous standard until I began to realize they had the problem, not me.

As far as women go, it's ridiculous to suggest they be held to the same standard as men when they are physiologically different and one of those differences being they naturally retain more fat than men. The whole military is considering overhauling its antiquated system and figuring out new ways to evaluate combat readiness. And it's about time.

10% is a standard that not many people attain, even SEAL's and Marines. As long as you can do your job and can get through the hatches and doors and do it quickly enough for a GQ, that should be enough. You don't have to run marathons or look like Arnold Schwarzenegger to be a sailor.

10% is a standard that not many people attain, even SEAL's and Marines. As long as you can do your job and can get through the hatches and doors and do it quickly enough for a GQ, that should be enough. You don't have to run marathons or look like Arnold Schwarzenegger to be a sailor.
I think even the Terminator would have busted tape, but I agree with you. I passed all my PT tests by comfortable margins and was physically able to do all that was required for combat readiness. I could get into full combat gear, even MOPP gear and fully loaded ruck sack and perform combat operations. But somehow this wasn't enough for the Army. Many have remarked how the Army loses a lot of great soldiers because of their irrational BMI standards. But change happens slowly in the military.

Women are now allowed to have 36% body fat, while men must be under 26%. It should be 10% and the same for both sexes.

WORLD | Navy eases body fat standards in effort to retain sailors | Michael Cochrane | March 14, 2016

march 14 2016 Navy Petty Officer Lentoyi White, 26, feared she’d be dismissed from the service after twice failing the Navy’s body composition assessment (BCA), which measures body fat percentage. But in January, the Navy loosened its body fat restrictions for both men and women, giving White and thousands of other sailors another chance to stay in the Navy.

“I am very grateful for a second chance with this new policy,” said White, a single mother with a 5-year-old daughter. White has gone from 212 pounds to 188 and is optimistic she’ll pass this spring under the new standards.

Under the Navy’s previous standards, sailors had three chances to pass the BCA before being considered for dismissal. But now, the 2,400 sailors who failed all three will get another shot to pass the BCA under the new standards this spring.

The Navy’s old policy allowed for 22 percent body fat for males ages 17-39, and 33 percent body fat for females ages 17-39. The new standards increase the maximums to 26 percent for men and 36 percent for women, but those percentages are considered by many health experts to be in the obese category. According to the American Council on Exercise, a man with more than 25 percent body fat is considered obese. For women, 32 percent body fat counts as obese.

When did they start measuring body fat for the Navy? We didn't have that problem in the '60s. Must be what they put in the chow.

When did they start measuring body fat for the Navy? We didn't have that problem in the '60s. Must be what they put in the chow.
We didn't have that in the 70's either. I remember lots of big fat chiefs when I was in. The only time I had to pass a PT test was in boot camp. Didn't have to worry about that shit out in the fleet.

We didn't have that in the 70's either. I remember lots of big fat chiefs when I was in. The only time I had to pass a PT test was in boot camp. Didn't have to worry about that shit out in the fleet.
I remember watching an old movie about a rotund general or colonel, very big dude. Old black and white flick, don't remember the name, but it took place after WW2.

As far as women go, it's ridiculous to suggest they be held to the same standard as men when they are physiologically different and one of those differences being they naturally retain more fat than men. The whole military is considering overhauling its antiquated system and figuring out new ways to evaluate combat readiness. And it's about time.

That's discrimination. One standard for women and a much tougher one for men. You libs want equal opportunity or not?

That's discrimination. One standard for women and a much tougher one for men. You libs want equal opportunity or not?
Now I'm a lib? Tell you what, why don't you leave military issues to us military vets who know what we're talking about.

10%. Nuts!

I wasn't then.

The Army thought a man of my height shouldn't weigh more than 189 lbs. Now, when I was 19, and a skinny kid, that wasn't a problem, even with my build. Add some muscle to that, and frankly, hitting that number was harder than a supermodel.

all that

Now I'm a lib? Tell you what, why don't you leave military issues to us military vets who know what we're talking about.

The board notes your non-answer. Address the issue i raised. Why does the navy have easier weight standards for women than for men?. How can that be justified.?

The board notes your non-answer. Address the issue i raised. Why does the navy have easier weight standards for women than for men?. How can that be justified.?
if you knew the physical differences between a man and a woman you would know....but since you apparently have never been with a woman i can see your problem....the board notes that you need to see a female adult naked.....

We had a few chunky guys after they've been in a while. I think there's an unspoken sliding scale with time in. There was a physical requirement but it wasn't enforced much in the Coast Guard. But everyone knew you could only slip so far, after all they don't make uniforms for 300 pounders. Or they didn't. Women were just coming in when I was getting out but the fitness standards weren't the same from day one.

. Women were just coming in when I was getting out but the fitness standards weren't the same from day one.

Which is as wrong as anything can be and yet such discrimination against men is not challenged.
hey speedos how come you did not reply to what i said?.....your not another one of those pussies who puts someone on ignore because they ask you tough questions,are you?....

Forum List

Back