Navy lowers weight standards so obese women can stay in the service.

Women are now allowed to have 36% body fat, while men must be under 26%. It should be 10% and the same for both sexes.

They have been doing that since fat ass bull dyke bodey was in the navy.

I know. Women have always gotten special treatment and now they demand even more. Why can't we admit what everyone knows?. Women are very very inferior to men physically. Probably mentally too but that's another story.
Women deserve special treatment. Who the hell raised you not to know that? I have a wife and a daughter and I treat them like royalty. If I didn't, my dad would slap me.

Women are now allowed to have 36% body fat, while men must be under 26%. It should be 10% and the same for both sexes.

They have been doing that since fat ass bull dyke bodey was in the navy.

I know. Women have always gotten special treatment and now they demand even more. Why can't we admit what everyone knows?. Women are very very inferior to men physically. Probably mentally too but that's another story.
Women deserve special treatment. Who the hell raised you not to know that? I have a wife and a daughter and I treat them like royalty. If I didn't, my dad would slap me.

Socially? I agree. But standards in the workplace is a different issue.

Fitness is great. But, as the links I posted show, a woman with 25% body fat can be fit. A man with 25% body fat is not.

HAHAHA. There's no way to prove something like that, you nitwit. No one even knows what "fitness" is. Let's just have the same standards for everyone.

For someone who wants people to THINK, you post some moronic garbage.

Of course they know what "fitness" is.

We know that women naturally have a higher percentage of body fat. .

I don't know that and neither do you. But even if true it shouldn't matter. Standards should be the same.

As i said earlier, i'ts like you claiming "women are naturally weaker than men so it's fair that women should only have do 8 knee pushups while men have to do 20 real pushups". THINK, you miserable man-hating wretch.

I don't know that and neither do you. But even if true it shouldn't matter. Standards should be the same.

As i said earlier, i'ts like you claiming "women are naturally weaker than men so it's fair that women should only have do 8 knee pushups while men have to do 20 real pushups". THINK, you miserable man-hating wretch.

Yes, as a matter of fact, we do know that. I mean, you do realize that they can test for % of body fat very easily. And you probably could guess that medical science has been studying the human body for quite a while. But somehow you think that we can't know that women have a higher percentage of body fat than men?

LMAO! Too funny.

If you want standards for fitness, you have to determine what is fit. A woman is fit with up to 25% body fat. A men with 25% body fat is overweight. These are facts. What you want is for the numbers measured to the same, despite differences in the physical bodies. It is obvious that the actual fitness is not what you care about. You want to whine and cry and call people names. You bring little or no actual thinking to the discussion, but you want everyone else to THINK.

Yes, as a matter of fact, we do know that. I mean, you do realize that they can test for % of body fat very easily. And you probably could guess that medical science has been studying the human body for quite a while. But somehow you think that we can't know that women have a higher percentage of body fat than men?

LMAO! Too funny.

If you want standards for fitness, you have to determine what is fit. A woman is fit with up to 25% body fat. A men with 25% body fat is overweight. These are facts. What you want is for the numbers measured to the same, despite differences in the physical bodies. It is obvious that the actual fitness is not what you care about. You want to whine and cry and call people names. You bring little or no actual thinking to the discussion, but you want everyone else to THINK.
It is pretty clear that you have never been in the military.

Let us clear this up, 1st of all, (at least when I was in) the body fat % standards were shit, they primarily relied upon hgt / wgt standards and then went into some sort of taping system (I was never 100% on the tape procedures since I never was in danger of being out of my standards). Anyways, I can tell you, without any reservations, that some people that were actually more fit then perhaps I could even hope to be, were constantly in danger of being out of the standards. Why? Muscle Mass. It is literally that simple. The military generally didn't really have any clue what your body fat % was.

On to the topic of standards for fitness...it is pretty clear, especially with the recent push for women in combat...you have a set of standards, and you don't deviate from them (physical performance standards). If you require somebody to do 50 pushups, it doesn't matter if they are a male or female...why? It isn't gender discrimination, it is to make sure that the asshole beside you can literally pull their weight. Combat is tough. It is shit. It sucks. You have to strap 60-100+ lbs. of gear on your back, get shot at, and then run around and shoot back...accurately. It is a tough job that just isn't for anybody. When you reduce standards you literally put peoples lives in danger.

Now, just as a slight summary. I'm actually against hgt / wgt standards, but assuming that they exist, I do think that it should be gender dependent (females, because of their breasts) just have more fat. However, for physical performance standards I'm a pretty staunch advocate for never deviating from what you've set them to be. It is dangerous in a very real sense.

LMAO! Too funny.

Let us clear this up, 1st of all, (at least when I was in) the body fat % standards were shit, they primarily relied upon hgt / wgt standards and then went into some sort of taping system (I was never 100% on the tape procedures since I never was in danger of being out of my standards). Anyways, I can tell you, without any reservations, that some people that were actually more fit then perhaps I could even hope to be, were constantly in danger of being out of the standards. Why? Muscle Mass. It is literally that simple. The military generally didn't really have any clue what your body fat % was.

On to the topic of standards for fitness...it is pretty clear, especially with the recent push for women in combat...you have a set of standards, and you don't deviate from them (physical performance standards). If you require somebody to do 50 pushups, it doesn't matter if they are a male or female...why? It isn't gender discrimination, it is to make sure that the asshole beside you can literally pull their weight. Combat is tough. It is shit. It sucks. You have to strap 60-100+ lbs. of gear on your back, get shot at, and then run around and shoot back...accurately. It is a tough job that just isn't for anybody. When you reduce standards you literally put peoples lives in danger.

Now, just as a slight summary. I'm actually against hgt / wgt standards, but assuming that they exist, I do think that it should be gender dependent (females, because of their breasts) just have more fat. However, for physical performance standards I'm a pretty staunch advocate for never deviating from what you've set them to be. It is dangerous in a very real sense.

I have never disagreed with one set of performance standards. But the OP was whining about a shift in numbers for the allowable percentage of body fat for women in the Navy. Not fitness. Not ability to do whatever physical requirements there are for their job. But just % of body fat.

And yeah, I was in the US Navy. On the USS James "Mad Dog" Madison SSBN 627 and the USS Savannah AOR-4.

LMAO! Too funny.

I have never disagreed with one set of performance standards. But the OP was whining about a shift in numbers for the allowable percentage of body fat for women in the Navy. Not fitness. Not ability to do whatever physical requirements there are for their job. But just % of body fat.

And yeah, I was in the US Navy. On the USS James "Mad Dog" Madison SSBN 627 and the USS Savannah AOR-4.
Well, I apologize for misunderstanding you then, sir.

Good on you for being able to stomach the boats however, never went on one, and never wanted to.

LMAO! Too funny.

Well, I apologize for misunderstanding you then, sir.

Good on you for being able to stomach the boats however, never went on one, and never wanted to.

Thank you.

I struggled with weight issues most of the time I was in, because I have a very large frame. The Army uses weight standards from the 19th century, and it shows.

So you're not fat? You have weight issues. ??? HAHA. And michael moore has a slight weight problem.
Sorry, but you should take it from those of us who served, the BMI standards are already unreasonable as is. I watched men who don't remotely look fat "bust tape" as did I. I struggled to attain the Army's ridiculous standard until I began to realize they had the problem, not me.

As far as women go, it's ridiculous to suggest they be held to the same standard as men when they are physiologically different and one of those differences being they naturally retain more fat than men. The whole military is considering overhauling its antiquated system and figuring out new ways to evaluate combat readiness. And it's about time.

My brother has no trouble meeting the BMI standard...of course, my brother is a toothpick. My wife is in the physical condition of an Olympic athlete (a direct quote from her doctor), and she's probably over 10%. The current system is idiotic.

When my mother was at her "ideal" weight, her co-workers thought she had cancer!

Last edited:
Safety issue? First, fat floats better than muscle. But more important, if their ship sinks in the Atlantic, do you think anyone will be swimming to shore?

My lean, muscular wife has a serious problem swimming: density. She doesn't float! She's a decent swimmer, but that is a major hindrance. My brother (Marine NCO) has a similar problem.

There really isn't a reason for these strict standards. There aren't too many really physically demanding jobs in the Navy. As long as you can do the job and can haul ass fast enough to get to your duty station during General Quarters.

yes yes yes. But the standards have to be the same for both sexes and that is NOT being done here. Never has been done. Women have always been held to lower standards and yet they demand equal pay!!! THINK
No they don't HAVE to be the same. By the way, grooming standards and dress standards are not the same for men and women either. This is because MEN AND WOMEN ARE DIFFERENT! I feel like I'm talking to a raging idiot.

You are.

When did they start measuring body fat for the Navy? We didn't have that problem in the '60s. Must be what they put in the chow.
We didn't have that in the 70's either. I remember lots of big fat chiefs when I was in. The only time I had to pass a PT test was in boot camp. Didn't have to worry about that shit out in the fleet.
They had it in the 80s and 90s. If you got too fat, they put you in a program for overweight people. If you were unable to get your weight down, you were discharged from service. They were tired of fat fucks making the Navy look bad, plus fat people arent good swimmers so its a safety issue.

You must live in a desert to make that idiotic statement.

Ever see a skinny person try to float? They float like a rock!
Wrong. Buoyancy isn't the issue. People in water must swim or drown. The military teaches drown proofing methods such as making floating devices out of uniforms and energy efficient water treading. This all requires fitness. So yes, godboy is right.

Fitness is great. But, as the links I posted show, a woman with 25% body fat can be fit. A man with 25% body fat is not.

I don't know...I bet this dude is over 25% body fat, and would have no trouble passing any of the fitness tests...

635621209297491899-sw18-wilfork-15.jpg

When did they start measuring body fat for the Navy? We didn't have that problem in the '60s. Must be what they put in the chow.
We didn't have that in the 70's either. I remember lots of big fat chiefs when I was in. The only time I had to pass a PT test was in boot camp. Didn't have to worry about that shit out in the fleet.
They had it in the 80s and 90s. If you got too fat, they put you in a program for overweight people. If you were unable to get your weight down, you were discharged from service. They were tired of fat fucks making the Navy look bad, plus fat people arent good swimmers so its a safety issue.

Are you retarded or something? The best swimmers have very little fat, moron. Quit talking about subjects you dont understand.

"You won’t be a swimmer like Michael Phelps with 30% body fat index; he was likely in the 9-10% range, maybe even down in the 6-7% range." Body Fat Percentage

tumblr_m835gwL5UM1r3sqxlo1_500.jpg

And if not actually SWIMMING, I suspect he would sink like a stone.

Are you retarded or something? The best swimmers have very little fat, moron. Quit talking about subjects you dont understand.

"You won’t be a swimmer like Michael Phelps with 30% body fat index; he was likely in the 9-10% range, maybe even down in the 6-7% range." Body Fat Percentage

If you go overboard in the ocean and you DON'T swim, you'll sink like a stone. These aren't calm waters that allow you to gently float on your back.

If you go overboard in the ocean and you DON'T swim, you'll sink like a stone. These aren't calm waters that allow you to gently float on your back.

And we are not talking about hugely obese people. We are talking about an adjustment that allows women to have a higher percentage of fat, and still be pronounced fit. Most of the men I served with in the Navy did not look like Michael Phelps.

If-the-cap-fits---Sally-G-010.jpg

The woman pictured above swam the English Channel. Think she has 9% body fat?

I don't know...I bet this dude is over 25% body fat, and would have no trouble passing any of the fitness tests...

635621209297491899-sw18-wilfork-15.jpg

I bet he'd have lots of trouble. Strong is not fit. That boy look fat and prolly takes 8 minutes to run a mile.

Forum List

Back