Nearly 1,000 Vets Attend Homeless Vets Funeral

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Jerry Billings was a U.S. Navy aviation machinist airman who served his country in the 1960s.

On Christmas Eve last year, the 69-year-old man passed away with no family to claim his remains. Christine Hoffman, who works for the city, took it upon herself to find out more about the veteran.

“I’ve done other funerals, and I’m like the only one that was there,” Hoffman said.

This time, Christine was not alone. Thanks to social media and the brotherhood of veterans, Jerry received a full military funeral attended by almost 1,000 people.

Read more: BROTHERS IN ARMS Nearly 1 000 Vets Attend Homeless Veteran s Funeral HD VIDEO

Sad that people who were fighting for our country, who were like shield for all citizens of United states, now are living worse than people somewhere in Africa...
Why our government don't wanna help 'em? I understand why they hate junkies or thugs, but why they hate vets?

timslash is correct in asking such a question.

If it has to be asked there is a problem, obviously.

How many of us volunteer at our local VA's, hand out info cards to homeless vets, donate to the right causes?

How many of us volunteer at our local VA's, hand out info cards to homeless vets, donate to the right causes?

Over 140,000 volunteers gave more than 11 million hours in service to America's Veterans. It is impossible to calculate the amount of caring and sharing that these VAVS volunteers provide to Veteran patients. VAVS volunteers are a priceless asset to the Nation's Veterans and to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Request Rejected

I have difficulty understanding why a veteran who served with honor is homeless and I see people running around with cars, wearing Nikes, talking on Iphones who live in government housing. Something is wrong

I have difficulty understanding why a veteran who served with honor is homeless and I see people running around with cars, wearing Nikes, talking on Iphones who live in government housing. Something is wrong
Sometimes they are mentally ill. Sometimes they are on drugs. Sometimes it is a choice that they make.

Sometimes they are mentally ill. Sometimes they are on drugs. Sometimes it is a choice that they make.

How often is the mental illness a direct result of their service? And the drug abuse may well be their own attempt at self-medication.

There needs to be a better safety net

Over 140,000 volunteers gave more than 11 million hours in service to America's Veterans. It is impossible to calculate the amount of caring and sharing that these VAVS volunteers provide to Veteran patients. VAVS volunteers are a priceless asset to the Nation's Veterans and to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Request Rejected
Correct, and how many homeless vets dont want help to get off the streets, most are mentally ill anyway.

Sad that people who were fighting for our country, who were like shield for all citizens of United states, now are living worse than people somewhere in Africa..
Amen to this. People who serve our country in such a way, in my opinion, should never end up out there on the street.

God bless you and our troops always!!!

Holly

Request Rejected
Correct, and how many homeless vets dont want help to get off the streets, most are mentally ill anyway.
You heal the physical wounds, you have to heal the hidden ones also...

Forum List

Back