Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Christmas morning jokes ignite pious furor

What a punk.

I can't say it would bother me a whole lot if someone stabbed him. A few times.

very christian of you

Unless you're Jesus Christ - and I highly doubt you are - that's not really for you to say, now is it?

what was that again about Righties always complaining that Lefties are trying to stifle free speech....?

You see anyone trying to stifle him, Mensa Boy? Not noticing any calls for censorship. And among the points that apparently evaded you is the difference between wanting someone dead and simply not caring if they are or not.

He's such a stupid fucking lowlife, no wonder he believes in "Manmade Climate Change"

Is he supposed to be important in all of this?

It's tasteless of him, but also his right, whether we like it or not.

Yes, it is indeed his right.

And if a Christian tried to destroy him or damage his career just for speaking his mind, they would be quite wrong to do so.

That kind of thing is best left to the experts in the PC Police.

Or perhaps it is just best left ignored.

Yeah, like homosexuals ignore people not agreeing with their lifestyle?

So, we went from "manmade climate change" to "homosexuals" in like three posts.....

Yeeeehaw!!!

Who's "we", paleface? I haven't said jack shit about manmade climate change. Do you need some sort of flow chart to keep post ownership straight for you?

I tried to watch the show Cosmos but he screwed it up with a bunch of anti-Christian crap. It was nothing like Sagan's show. He should have just had a different show for religious studies.

It's hard to talk about the history of science without mentioning the history of religious people doing everything they could to stop its advancement.

"Everything they could to stop it"? You mean like founding and maintaining universities, financially supporting scientists, that sort of "trying to stop it"?

The reason it's hard for you to talk about the history of science is apparently related to the difficulty of talking out of your ass.

I tried to watch the show Cosmos but he screwed it up with a bunch of anti-Christian crap. It was nothing like Sagan's show. He should have just had a different show for religious studies.

It's hard to talk about the history of science without mentioning the history of religious people doing everything they could to stop its advancement.
Which proves my point, it was about man's history, not the universe. Many scientists were Christian but he neglected to mention it. Did he mention Georges Lemaitre? His show was for lemmings of weak persuasion to be influenced into a belief. I don't recall Sagan needing to smear any religion to discuss the aspects and facts about the universe.

Most of the scientists he spoke about in the show were religious. Since there was little science back then it made perfect sense to believe a sky pixie did everything. Now it just so happens that most of their discoveries were at odds with the belief of the church to the point of them fearing for their lives. That's why Copernicus did not release his book until he was on his death bed.

The histories of science and religion will always be tied together because science is the practice of testing faith.

Here is a list of scientists discussed on the show:
The Scientists of Cosmos A Spacetime Odyssey Black Geoscientists

What an utter load of bullshit. The people most vociferously urging Copernicus to publish his work were Jesuits, you mouthbreather. Copernicus chose to delay releasing his work because he worried about adverse reactions from fellow scholars, not from the Church, which accepted heliocentricity as a theory until well after Copernicus's death.

What a punk.

I can't say it would bother me a whole lot if someone stabbed him. A few times.

very christian of you

Unless you're Jesus Christ - and I highly doubt you are - that's not really for you to say, now is it?
God forbid you'd ever question anyone's Christianity. :wtf:

Nope, never do. I will question people's morality, intelligence, sanity, and humanity. The state of their soul is unknowable to all but God, and I'm arrogant, not hubristic.

Which proves my point, it was about man's history, not the universe. Many scientists were Christian but he neglected to mention it. Did he mention Georges Lemaitre? His show was for lemmings of weak persuasion to be influenced into a belief. I don't recall Sagan needing to smear any religion to discuss the aspects and facts about the universe.

Most of the scientists he spoke about in the show were religious. Since there was little science back then it made perfect sense to believe a sky pixie did everything. Now it just so happens that most of their discoveries were at odds with the belief of the church to the point of them fearing for their lives. That's why Copernicus did not release his book until he was on his death bed.

The histories of science and religion will always be tied together because science is the practice of testing faith.

What an utter load of bullshit. The people most vociferously urging Copernicus to publish his work were Jesuits, you mouthbreather. Copernicus chose to delay releasing his work because he worried about adverse reactions from fellow scholars, not from the Church, which accepted heliocentricity as a theory until well after Copernicus's death.

Oh yeah? What happened to Galileo when he talked about Copernicus again?

What was believed when and where has zip to do with our understanding today. And just because science has more information about the universe does not mean it will have any answers regarding its' beginning. Science can be misused to spread a faith, so the whole premise of the show is weird. It does fit in with his stupid tweets though.

I promise you what was believed and when had plenty to do with the lives of the people talked about in the show. Science has given us answers to many things. How do you know it won't tell us anything about the beginning? It's already given us theories to test out about it.

How do you test a theory about what happened long before any of us existed?

What was believed when and where has zip to do with our understanding today. And just because science has more information about the universe does not mean it will have any answers regarding its' beginning. Science can be misused to spread a faith, so the whole premise of the show is weird. It does fit in with his stupid tweets though.

Faith has no bearing on science.

Faith is opposite of science.

And that's okay.

For some, that works and they're welcome to it. But others should also be able to speak their mind.

c7FoF.png

And he is exactly WHOM, that I'm supposed to care about his opinions on religion? Outside of astrophysics, he's just another loudmouthed, unqualified asshole like anyone else. You might as well be proudly touting the opinions of Joe Sixpack in his wifebeater, because the amount of derisive laughter it would earn you would be exactly the same, fanboy.

Galileo didn't run afoul of the Catholic Church because of Copernicus. He ran afoul of it because of his own arrogance and inability to follow the instructions of his employers, like any other blowhard employee.

Out of morbid curiosity and a certain amount of schadenfreude, I have to ask: what do YOU think happened to Galileo?

Galileo didn't run afoul of the Catholic Church because of Copernicus. He ran afoul of it because of his own arrogance and inability to follow the instructions of his employers, like any other blowhard employee.

Out of morbid curiosity and a certain amount of schadenfreude, I have to ask: what do YOU think happened to Galileo?

He was imprisoned by the Church for heresy for believing in and teaching heliocentrism along with various other theories such as what causes tides. What do YOU think he was imprisoned for?

wow !! Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson set off a shit storm yesterday morning

Neil deGrasse Tyson 8217 s Christmas morning jokes ignite pious furor on Twitter
Great remarks by Tyson. It's obvious one must have intelligence, like Tyson, to be truly funny.

Takes more than intelligence, apparently, since Tyson isn't funny. He's like an overeducated version of a sullen teenager coming to the family dinner table in full Goth gear. Oooh, you can be rude and offensive. Not exactly Comedy Central there. Tyson definitely shouldn't quit his day job.

He was imprisoned by the Church for heresy for believing in and teaching heliocentrism along with various other theories such as what causes tides. What do YOU think he was imprisoned for?

ROFL "Imprisoned". Yeah, I guess if you consider being in his own villa and continuing his scientific work to be "imprisonment", he was really oppressed and beaten down. And no, fuckstain, the problem wasn't heliocentrism. It was teaching that Copernicus's theories were settled fact - which they most definitely weren't - and shooting off his mouth about religious doctrine. Not the brightest thing to do, when you're not a theologian and employed by the Catholic Church.

You certainly do spin some interesting fables.

Forum List

Back