Nevada returns voting privilidges to

People have either paid their debt to society or they have not. This half ass shit is just stupid and a good part of the reason we have so high recidivism rates

And just who is in charge whether somebody pays their debt to society or not? A human being that got lucky and elected as a judge? A bunch of people who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty? Who?

My belief is the only people that can say who repaid their debt are the victim(s) or the family of the victim in homicide cases. In my case, if it were a loved one of mine who was murdered, I wouldn't see repayment until he was out of prison and I got my hands on him. But that's just me.

So his pain is gone in 15 years. He has voting rights, the right to own a firearm, and has had training to get a job when he gets out. Everything is fine for him. Would it be fine for you too? His life would be back to normal; perhaps better. I don't think your pain would go away in 15 years.

nothing that happens to him changes my pain.
So having the murderer of a loved one walk free or serve life in prison is the same to you.

That’s sick.

Yep, if that is what his sentence was, I am good with it. He paid his debt to society. I think everyone should get their voting rights back after they have done their time.

So if somebody murders one of your children, gets out in 15 years on good behavior, you're still fine with them getting all their rights back?

Yes. I would be pissed they were out in 15 years, but the idea we should punish everyone for the rest of their life, even after their "debt to society" is paid is just stupid.

So his pain is gone in 15 years. He has voting rights, the right to own a firearm, and has had training to get a job when he gets out. Everything is fine for him. Would it be fine for you too? His life would be back to normal; perhaps better. I don't think your pain would go away in 15 years.
It seems your problem is with the manner in which the convicted are punished. More so than what happens to them after. If so... I’d agree.

Actually my real problem with this is removing deterrents to crime. IMO, we don't have enough deterrents which is why we have such a high recidivism rate. Trust me, I know people that are (or were) in prison.

And if we keep going down this path; removing more and more deterrents, I think the ramifications of that will be negative.

On the political end (which is what this legislation is really all about if we are to be honest) is that you're not going to see many ex-cons voting Republican. Okay, so now we have a sizable ex-con voting population. What do you suppose the Democrat party will do with that situation????

Once in charge, those Democrats will be writing laws in favor of that voting base. Less prison time, early releases, more amenities while in prison, things like that. Democrats don't care about innocent people. All Democrats care about is power.
If the punishment isn’t a deterrent... We need to up our game. As for how they would vote... I cannot allow myself to prejudice social justice, based on my fear of election results. That’s not “justice”.

People have either paid their debt to society or they have not. This half ass shit is just stupid and a good part of the reason we have so high recidivism rates

And just who is in charge whether somebody pays their debt to society or not? A human being that got lucky and elected as a judge? A bunch of people who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty? Who?

My belief is the only people that can say who repaid their debt are the victim(s) or the family of the victim in homicide cases. In my case, if it were a loved one of mine who was murdered, I wouldn't see repayment until he was out of prison and I got my hands on him. But that's just me.
Well... I have a solution. It’s not perfect. But it’s a hell of a lot better than what we’ve got.

nothing that happens to him changes my pain.

I think it would lessen your pain, but perhaps not stop it. I guess we would all have to be in such shoes to make such a determination. A personal example here:

A couple years back, I ran across a news article of a family who wanted to know who murdered their loved one 40 years ago. Back then there were few cameras around and DNA wasn't even a thought yet alone a preparation at the time.

Because I knew who the murderer was, I went to the police station to tell them what I knew. The police were less than cooperative, so I contacted the family. The sister of the victim thanked me endlessly. Their parents were gone, and they died with the same pain of the mystery those siblings still carried around for all that time. As she told me, the pain will never really top, but at least they could understand what happened which lessened the torture.

Well... I have a solution. It’s not perfect. But it’s a hell of a lot better than what we’ve got.

I have a lot of solutions, just none that would ever get past liberal judges.

I have a lot of solutions, just none that would ever get past liberal judges.
That’s why we need to get rid of “liberal” judges...

they are entitled to full restoration of rights.
Says who?....

They still pay taxes

Good....

They still have property, family, and a nation to protect.

Phwhat?.....how do you know?....

It’s also worth pointing out that there are a number of “inalienable rights”.

I know them by heart...so what...but I don't know anywhere were it says we can't take voting rights from ne'er-do-wells....

Says who?....

They still pay taxes

Good....

I know them by heart...so what...but I don't know anywhere were it says we can't take voting rights from ne'er-do-wells....
The constitution. End of story.

Says who?....

They still pay taxes

Good....

No the constitution is the beginning not the end and maybe you should review it.....just sayin.....

Says who?....

They still pay taxes

Good....

No the constitution is the beginning not the end and maybe you should review it.....just sayin.....
Ah... I see you’re a “living document” type. No thanks. Leftism isn’t my style...

Says who?....

They still pay taxes

Good....

Ah... I see you’re a “living document” type. No thanks. Leftism isn’t my style...
But Vastator as a sovereign state where does it say we can't regulate who can and who can't vote?...in fact it says the opposite...
The Constitution, including the Fourteenth Amendment, specifically delegates to the states the right to determine the qualifications of voters and to disqualify anyone who participates “in rebellion, or other crime.”

Seems reasonable to me.

The bill will go into effect July 1 and will automatically restore a person’s voting rights once they are released from prison and complete their parole. The measure received wide, bipartisan support and by some estimates will enfranchise more than 3% of Nevada’s voting-age population.

Says who?....

They still pay taxes

Good....

But Vastator as a sovereign state where does it say we can't regulate who can and who can't vote?...in fact it says the opposite...
The Constitution, including the Fourteenth Amendment, specifically delegates to the states the right to determine the qualifications of voters and to disqualify anyone who participates “in rebellion, or other crime.”
The "disqualification" crosses state lines for one. Another is that the voting is of less concern to me than the 2A.

Limbaugh is not a felon and never was. Read a newspaper.

Limbaugh Cuts Deal in Prescription Case

Under the deal filed Monday, Limbaugh cannot own a gun, must submit to random drug tests and has to continue treatment for his acknowledged addiction to painkillers.

Cannot own a gun is a felony plea deal.

Under the deal filed Monday, Limbaugh cannot own a gun, must submit to random drug tests and has to continue treatment for his acknowledged addiction to painkillers.

No, it was a deal to avoid being charged. The state dropped the charges therefore Limbaugh was never convicted.

No, it was a deal to avoid being charged. The state dropped the charges therefore Limbaugh was never convicted.

He took a plea deal.....GUILTY!!!!

Learn something about our justice system. Gheeze.

NOPE! Try another lie!

NOPE!, Liar!

Forum List

Back