Nevada returns voting privilidges to

True, but at least in our state, if a sexual offender is released, he must register in that city he moves into as a sex offender. The city distributes his name, picture, and convicted offenses. He has to live somewhere after all. Plus they cannot live X amount of feet within a school.

Of course if we are going to restore voting rights, why not rescind these laws? After all, they did their time.........right??
------------------------------ violent and peds should stay in prison . Why take a chance of them doing it again Ray ?? Compare a violent pedo to some of the other ways [nonviolent] that a non violent person / felon can lose their gun and other RIGHTS . Let the violent live in prison for 50 years while releasing the non violent with restored RIGHTS RAY .

So can you give me some examples of non-violent felons? And don't tell me drug pushers; the people responsible for killing over 70,000 Americans a year.

Any theft over 1000 dollars.

Check Fraud

Copyright infringement

Very well. So somebody breaks into your home and steals 50K worth of jewelry. You didn't have any theft insurance. After about ten years, the guy gets out of jail and has his voting rights restored. You're okay with that?

Yep, if that is what his sentence was, I am good with it. He paid his debt to society. I think everyone should get their voting rights back after they have done their time.
If what many posters are claiming is true... That "so long as they live; they'll have never repaid their debt"...
Two things. Its not a debt. And the appropriate punishment should have been death. As that apparently is the only way to repay said "debt"...

------------------------------ violent and peds should stay in prison . Why take a chance of them doing it again Ray ?? Compare a violent pedo to some of the other ways [nonviolent] that a non violent person / felon can lose their gun and other RIGHTS . Let the violent live in prison for 50 years while releasing the non violent with restored RIGHTS RAY .

So can you give me some examples of non-violent felons? And don't tell me drug pushers; the people responsible for killing over 70,000 Americans a year.

Check Fraud

Copyright infringement

Very well. So somebody breaks into your home and steals 50K worth of jewelry. You didn't have any theft insurance. After about ten years, the guy gets out of jail and has his voting rights restored. You're okay with that?

Yep, if that is what his sentence was, I am good with it. He paid his debt to society. I think everyone should get their voting rights back after they have done their time.

So if somebody murders one of your children, gets out in 15 years on good behavior, you're still fine with them getting all their rights back?

Yes. I would be pissed they were out in 15 years, but the idea we should punish everyone for the rest of their life, even after their "debt to society" is paid is just stupid.

----------------------------- well its drug users that kill themselves and most of those i have no use for anyway . I'm thinking a nonviolent felon that male and 18 and has sex with his 16 year old girlfriend as an example of felon Ray .

To be totally honest, I never heard such a case. Guys in their 20's, school teachers, perhaps, but not two consenting people at that age.

Drug users get their drugs from sellers, and their sellers are quite aware their customers may kill themselves with what they are selling. I think that is violent.
You're wrong. There is nothing "violent" about it. You're just looking for a person to blame, for another person's bad decision. Humans are sentient beings with agency. As such they are more than capable of being held responsible for their own actions.

So the user that dies is held responsible for his own actions but the person selling illegal narcotics should not? Gotcha.
Yeah. It's that freedom thing. It's a hang up of mine...

Check Fraud

Copyright infringement

So if somebody murders one of your children, gets out in 15 years on good behavior, you're still fine with them getting all their rights back?
----------------------------- as i have said for a hundred times . Violence should get them no release from jail [ever] Ray .

So long as it was a non violent offence I don't mind. If they allow rapists to vote on womens reproductive rights I think even they would have an issue with that.
Your using a misnomer. The abortion issue has nothing to do with reproductive rights. It’s about the taking of a persons life without due process. A woman is free to breed, or not to breed. But to kill!? That is the question...

Yes, I know. But imagine this. Our country has gone full progressive berserk and a woman is pregnant from a rapist. She wants to bring it to term but the rapist doesn't so he votes for a law that requires the death of babies from rape.

Remember, and this is why i am pro choice (though detest the practice) if the government has the power to tell you you may not have an abortion, it also has the power to tell you you must have an abortion.
No it doesn't. There is no constitutional law that compells, or obligates a citizen to kill another. None.

That is correct, at the moment. But the law is very clear as regards the power of the State, over the power of the individual.

well , they change the spots enough so that rulers and officials and authorities let child molesters and other violent criminals out into 'halfway houses' in neighborhoods all throughout the USA .

True, but at least in our state, if a sexual offender is released, he must register in that city he moves into as a sex offender. The city distributes his name, picture, and convicted offenses. He has to live somewhere after all. Plus they cannot live X amount of feet within a school.

Of course if we are going to restore voting rights, why not rescind these laws? After all, they did their time.........right??

Embezelers, mail fraud, basically all the white collar crimes we hear about.

and the way it is now , that murderer will just be let out of prison to a halfway house under supervision at taxpayer expense Ray . He should be kept in jail .

Personally, I'm for it.

they did their time, they should get their rights back.

unlike the silliness of Bernie, wanting them to be allowed to vote while incarcerated.
Mixed feelings. Murderers get out of prison occasionally. Should they get back their 2nd Amendment rights?

Personally, I'm for it.

unlike the silliness of Bernie, wanting them to be allowed to vote while incarcerated.
Mixed feelings. Murderers get out of prison occasionally. Should they get back their 2nd Amendment rights?
----------------------------------- murderers should never get out of jail DAngel .

It depends on the severity of their crime...we do not want terrorist voting...we do not want anti American felons voting...we do not want child molesters voting...we do not want murderers voting....
Part of our nations deterrent to crime is the loss of your rights...why would we want to change that now?....because Trump won?....please!
If the punishment doesn’t pay their debt to the public, then change the punishment
Part of their debt to society is the loss of their rights.....the right to participate in elections....
To never be fully accepted back into society. And people wonder why recidivism is so high... well... smart people don’t....
We can welcome them back into society without returning their right to vote...if not voting is going to cause them to rekindle their felonious ways then they don't have much of a chance in my opinion...

Amendment VIII Excessive Fines, Cruel and Unusual Punishment
Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
I don't think its cruel nor unusual to say you can't vote.....you lost your right because you killed another human being or molested a child or bombed a building or hijacked a plane.....

Check Fraud

Copyright infringement

Yes. I would be pissed they were out in 15 years, but the idea we should punish everyone for the rest of their life, even after their "debt to society" is paid is just stupid.

So his pain is gone in 15 years. He has voting rights, the right to own a firearm, and has had training to get a job when he gets out. Everything is fine for him. Would it be fine for you too? His life would be back to normal; perhaps better. I don't think your pain would go away in 15 years.

Check Fraud

Copyright infringement

Prison alone may not be their full "debt." If the full punishment is that you will NEVER gain your full rights back if you be committed certain crimes, then THAT is the price of the crime.

and the way it is now , that murderer will just be let out of prison to a halfway house under supervision at taxpayer expense Ray . He should be kept in jail .

Well since that will never happen in most cases; cases of murder only let's say. Should they have their voting rights restored when they do get out? After all, this is what the OP is all about.

Check Fraud

Copyright infringement

Prison alone may not be their full "debt." If the full punishment is that you will NEVER gain your full rights back if you be committed certain crimes, then THAT is the price of the crime.

Plus, you understood that when you committed the crime.

Personally, I'm for it.

----------------------------------- murderers should never get out of jail DAngel .
Of course. But sometimes they do. WHEN THEY DO, some here will argue "they've paid their debt." Some here will argue, they deserve their full rights. THAT is the topic of this thread.

So his pain is gone in 15 years. He has voting rights, the right to own a firearm, and has had training to get a job when he gets out. Everything is fine for him. Would it be fine for you too? His life would be back to normal; perhaps better. I don't think your pain would go away in 15 years.

nothing that happens to him changes my pain.

If the punishment doesn’t pay their debt to the public, then change the punishment
Part of their debt to society is the loss of their rights.....the right to participate in elections....
To never be fully accepted back into society. And people wonder why recidivism is so high... well... smart people don’t....
We can welcome them back into society without returning their right to vote...if not voting is going to cause them to rekindle their felonious ways then they don't have much of a chance in my opinion...

Amendment VIII Excessive Fines, Cruel and Unusual Punishment
Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
I don't think its cruel nor unusual to say you can't vote.....you lost your right because you killed another human being or molested a child or bombed a building or hijacked a plane.....
Which is why you become a ward of the state; and suffer incarceration. But upon completion of their sentence they are entitled to full restoration of rights. As “free men” they have the same reasons to have, and need for their rights as anyone else. They still pay taxes. As such they should have a voice in how they’re spent. They still have property, family, and a nation to protect. Not to mention themselves. It’s also worth pointing out that there are a number of “inalienable rights”. But TWO, and only these two were specifically selected to be constitutionally ignored. And it’s not a long standing practice. In fact it’s somewhat new. And it wasn’t done willy, nilly.

Last edited:
People have either paid their debt to society or they have not. This half ass shit is just stupid and a good part of the reason we have so high recidivism rates

Check Fraud

Copyright infringement

It seems your problem is with the manner in which the convicted are punished. More so than what happens to them after. If so... I’d agree.

It seems your problem is with the manner in which the convicted are punished. More so than what happens to them after. If so... I’d agree.

Actually my real problem with this is removing deterrents to crime. IMO, we don't have enough deterrents which is why we have such a high recidivism rate. Trust me, I know people that are (or were) in prison.

And if we keep going down this path; removing more and more deterrents, I think the ramifications of that will be negative.

On the political end (which is what this legislation is really all about if we are to be honest) is that you're not going to see many ex-cons voting Republican. Okay, so now we have a sizable ex-con voting population. What do you suppose the Democrat party will do with that situation????

Once in charge, those Democrats will be writing laws in favor of that voting base. Less prison time, early releases, more amenities while in prison, things like that. Democrats don't care about innocent people. All Democrats care about is power.

Forum List

Back