Never call the cops for any reason

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Even if all you are doing is reporting a bicycle accident.

The best part of this is it happened in progressive lala land, aka San Francisco, the front lines of America's police state.

What we’ve got here is a failure to communicateRich SOMA, poor SOMA. My instinct was to make this distinction go away, to show them I know our neighborhood is more complicated than that. To connect on human terms. I told them that it was an early stage startup; I’m doing this because I feel it’s a way to make the world around me better, to bring people joy through better food. I live here, right on this block, in a loving home with 16 roommates. I love this community. I asked them where they lived. And they responded in unison: “Far away! We can’t afford to live here.”
They exposed a growing tear in our city’s social fabric. A class conflict brought on by rising housing prices and economic disparity, resulting in a commuter policing class that resents the residents they’re meant to protect and serve.
As I sat cuffed and propped against the wall, another officer came over and reprimanded me for obstructing police work. If this were indeed the case, I said, I would agree. But I hadn’t interfered with the medical response, nor could I have. I was 15 feet away from Rebecca and Josh when I was tackled. I had good intentions, I said. I had called 911 and was following the operator’s instructions to remain on the scene until the ambulance arrived. That was all.
The small talk continued. They said I had nothing to worry about. I had done the right thing. I’d probably be taken to the police station around the corner and released. I asked whether I should communicate this to Ben or other friends, in case I needed help getting bailed out. They said that this process should be quick, quicker than my friends’ ability to help, and that I’d be out in no time.
I took them at their word. Then they took me to county jail, where I spent 12 hours, mostly in solitary confinement.

https://medium.com/p/9f53ef6a1c10

Good thing we don't live in a police state, and that the officer involved was promptly fired.

HA

Nothing like omitting the pertinent facts to make your fiction believable.

"I was standing 15 feet from the scene beside Officer Kaur, a stocky female of South Asian complexion. She turned to me and abruptly said that I was not needed as a witness and should leave immediately. I told her we were headed home, just across the way, when my friend and I encountered the accident; and that I’d recently broken my elbow in a similar bike accident here and deeply cared about the outcome.

The firemen were examining Rebecca and Josh. Ben was still supporting Rebecca’s back when Sgt. Espinoza and Officer Gabriel grabbed him from behind without warning, putting him in an arm lock and jerked him backwards over the pavement. They told him sternly that he had to leave now that trained medical professionals had arrived, implying that he was interfering and justifying their violent actions."

Police tell you to do something, do it. Whole thing could have been avoided.

"I was standing 15 feet from the scene beside Officer Kaur, a stocky female of South Asian complexion. She turned to me and abruptly said that I was not needed as a witness and should leave immediately. I told her we were headed home, just across the way, when my friend and I encountered the accident; and that I’d recently broken my elbow in a similar bike accident here and deeply cared about the outcome.

The firemen were examining Rebecca and Josh. Ben was still supporting Rebecca’s back when Sgt. Espinoza and Officer Gabriel grabbed him from behind without warning, putting him in an arm lock and jerked him backwards over the pavement. They told him sternly that he had to leave now that trained medical professionals had arrived, implying that he was interfering and justifying their violent actions."

Look at that, a gay statist progressive who thinks cops are always right.

Not obeying a cop is not a criminal offense, asshole.

Yes, in most cases it is, actually, and I am hardly a statist progressive and there is no reason for you to get all insulting and rude because he doesn't see this your way. Grow up.

If you're at the scene of a crime or accident and they tell you to leave then you leave. It's really that simple. I don't think this incident merited them manhandling him and taken him to jail for half a day; that was over zealous. They could have told him again and given him a warning, but nonetheless, Delta is correct, if he had left the scene when asked this wouldn't have been an issue.

I don't approve of their aggressive response towards the guy, but I'm not exactly on his side on this either. Exercise some common sense.

Yes, in most cases it is, actually, and I am hardly a statist progressive and there is no reason for you to get all insulting and rude because he doesn't see this your way. Grow up.

If you're at the scene of a crime or accident and they tell you to leave then you leave. It's really that simple. I don't think this incident merited them manhandling him and taken him to jail for half a day; that was over zealous. They could have told him again and given him a warning, but nonetheless, Delta is correct, if he had left the scene when asked this wouldn't have been an issue.

I don't approve of their aggressive response towards the guy, but I'm not exactly on his side on this either. Exercise some common sense.

No, it really isn't. Cops cannot issue orders willy nilly and the more we let them get away with it the more likely it is that people will get Tazed simply for asserting their rights.

No, it really isn't.

Yeah, it really is, period.

Cops cannot issue orders willy nilly and the more we let them get away with it the more likely it is that people will get Tazed simply for asserting their rights.

They can order any issue they want within the boundaries of the law. If people don't like the way their police departments are treating them then they need to take it up with their elected officials to do something about it.

Go ahead and disobey an order from a cop next time one gives one to you and let us know how well that works out for you. Unless what he's doing is blatantly absurd good luck finding a judge or jury who agrees with you over him. I have a feeling you'll do what ever he tells you. Most people are nothing more than keyboard warriors and don't actually have the guts to walk their talk when the situation arrives at their door step.

Looks like police brutality to me.
Not 'Anglo' cops, note.

Time someone told the cops they are servants of the Public, and their salaries are paid by the Public.
This guy and his buddy weren't gangbangers armed to the teeth...they were unarmed civilians assisting the injured cyclists and were the ones who callled 911.
Ben was supporting Rebecca's back.

Cops want to act like bullies and cart innocent civilians concerned about the welfare of injured cyclists off to jail, strip them naked and lock them up in solitary confinement for 12 hours...good luck trying to sell tickets to the police ball.
...or gathering public sympathy for cops injured or killed while on duty.

Last edited:

No, it really isn't.

Yeah, it really is, period.

Cops cannot issue orders willy nilly and the more we let them get away with it the more likely it is that people will get Tazed simply for asserting their rights.
They can order any issue they want within the boundaries of the law. If people don't like the way their police departments are treating them then they need to take it up with their elected officials to do something about it.

Go ahead and disobey an order from a cop next time one gives one to you and let us know how well that works out for you. Unless what he's doing is blatantly absurd good luck finding a judge or jury who agrees with you over him. I have a feeling you'll do what ever he tells you. Most people are nothing more than keyboard warriors and don't actually have the guts to walk their talk when the situation arrives at their door step.

What, exactly, are the boundaries of the law? If you are walking down the street and a cop orders you to stick your finger in your ear, do you have to do it? Why not? Is putting your finger in your ear illegal?

I once personally witnessed the cops in this city tell a man he could not refuse medical treatment, and threaten to arrest him for not going to the hospital, care to explain what law covers that?

Disobeying a cop is not a crime. The simplest way for you to prove me wrong is to actually quote the laws that require me to obey a cop if he issues an order. Lacking that, all you are doing is proving that you are a statist, even if you hate being called progressive.

Cops being assholes has what to do with liberalism in what way?

Absolutely nothing. Of all the police abuse I read about most of it seems to come from Texas and California, two places on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum.

Whatever happened to; "The policeman is your friend" ...and cops in San Francisco wearing flowers in their hair?

"Thank you for calling 911 sir, and rendering assistance to the injured cyclists.
Please stand over here and I'll let you know the condition of the injured when they've been assessed by the paramedics.
Excuse me sir, thank you for supporting Rebecca's back, the paramedics will take over from you know...your friend is waiting over there, please join him".

Even if all you are doing is reporting a bicycle accident.

The best part of this is it happened in progressive lala land, aka San Francisco, the front lines of America's police state.

What we’ve got here is a failure to communicateRich SOMA, poor SOMA. My instinct was to make this distinction go away, to show them I know our neighborhood is more complicated than that. To connect on human terms. I told them that it was an early stage startup; I’m doing this because I feel it’s a way to make the world around me better, to bring people joy through better food. I live here, right on this block, in a loving home with 16 roommates. I love this community. I asked them where they lived. And they responded in unison: “Far away! We can’t afford to live here.”
They exposed a growing tear in our city’s social fabric. A class conflict brought on by rising housing prices and economic disparity, resulting in a commuter policing class that resents the residents they’re meant to protect and serve.
As I sat cuffed and propped against the wall, another officer came over and reprimanded me for obstructing police work. If this were indeed the case, I said, I would agree. But I hadn’t interfered with the medical response, nor could I have. I was 15 feet away from Rebecca and Josh when I was tackled. I had good intentions, I said. I had called 911 and was following the operator’s instructions to remain on the scene until the ambulance arrived. That was all.
The small talk continued. They said I had nothing to worry about. I had done the right thing. I’d probably be taken to the police station around the corner and released. I asked whether I should communicate this to Ben or other friends, in case I needed help getting bailed out. They said that this process should be quick, quicker than my friends’ ability to help, and that I’d be out in no time.
I took them at their word. Then they took me to county jail, where I spent 12 hours, mostly in solitary confinement.

https://medium.com/p/9f53ef6a1c10

Good thing we don't live in a police state, and that the officer involved was promptly fired.

HA

I only read from the start until, "Transport to Jail."

But the comment by the Officer about the "billionaire wannabe" IMMEDIATELY sounded like a raging case of Liberalitis on display.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-LE8DPMm8&feature=youtu.be]Louie teaches Jane that life isn't always fair. - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a better VIDEO but a crappy audio.

Here Louie C.K. tries to teach his daughter, Jane, that we shouldn't covet what other people have.

Maybe that cop is a Liberal.

In a city like S.F. it sure would make sense that Libs were included on the force.

But ALL Libs should ALL pay attention to Louie's lesson which sounds like it was wasted on his 6 year old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever happened to; "The policeman is your friend" ...and cops in San Francisco wearing flowers in their hair?

"Thank you for calling 911 sir, and rendering assistance to the injured cyclists.
Please stand over here and I'll let you know the condition of the injured when they've been assessed by the paramedics.
Excuse me sir, thank you for supporting Rebecca's back, the paramedics will take over from you know...your friend is waiting over there, please join him".

Liberalitis.

Typical symptoms.

Rash judgment. Knee-jerk emotional reaction to events and people. Quick to use violence. Jumping to the wrong conclusion. Envy at what OTHER people have.

Liberalitis.

Typical symptoms.

Rash judgment. Knee-jerk emotional reaction to events and people. Quick to use violence. Jumping to the wrong conclusion. Envy at what OTHER people have.

Interesting scenario since most police officers tend to be Republican and/or conservative

What, exactly, are the boundaries of the law? If you are walking down the street and a cop orders you to stick your finger in your ear, do you have to do it? Why not? Is putting your finger in your ear illegal?

Disobeying a cop is not a crime. The simplest way for you to prove me wrong is to actually quote the laws that require me to obey a cop if he issues an order. Lacking that, all you are doing is proving that you are a statist, even if you hate being called progressive.
You may well end up being one of those roadside lawyers that learns an expensive and time consuming lesson. You always have recourse, if the order was unlawful, you win. But 'most' cops know the law better than you do since it's their job to enforce it.

For example, if they tell you to clear the scene and you don't, your legal right to be there is over unless you can prove otherwise.

Cops being assholes has what to do with liberalism in what way?

Liberalitis.

Typical symptoms.

Liberalitis.

Typical symptoms.

Interesting scenario since most police officers tend to be Republican and/or conservative

If a person brings with him or her his or her collection of experiences, intelligence, education, training, interests, attitudes and abilities, we must look at the possibility that each one may be either leaning toward the Left or leaning toward the Right.

Hardly ANYONE is perfectly balanced 50/50.

But all strive for that happy medium, I would guess. A detailed scientific study should be done to determine who makes the best cops...Libs or Conservatives.

Anyway, an extremely Liberal city like San Francisco would likely hire people to be cops who are more like the populace. A police force should reflect the cultural sensibilities and racial or other qualities of the people they serve.

Cops in a strongly Conservative town would probably be more Conservative.

In S.F. they would more likely be Liberal.

But, that having been said, no one acts completely or exclusively, one way or the other.

Sometimes there is enough conflicting evidence or evidence to the contrary to confuse the issue at first glance.

But I know signs of Liberalitis when I see or hear it.

And these cops sure acted like Liberals.

Last edited:
Liberalitis.

Typical symptoms.

If a person brings with him or her his or her collection of experiences, intelligence, education, training, interests, attitudes and abilities, we must look at the possibility that each one may be either leaning toward the Left or leaning toward the Right.

But all strive for that happy medium, I would guess. A detailed scientific study should be done to determine who makes the best cops...Libs or Conservatives.

Anyway, an extremely Liberal city like San Francisco would likely hire people to be cops who are more like the populace. A police force should reflect the cultural sensibilities and racial or other qualities of the people they serve.

But, that having been said, no one acts completely or exclusively, one way or the other.

Sometimes there is enough evidence to confuse the issue at first glance.

So what's your excuse when it happens in rural Texas?

Sometimes there is enough evidence to confuse the issue at first glance.

So what's your excuse when it happens in rural Texas?

In red, Bro.

You may well end up being one of those roadside lawyers that learns an expensive and time consuming lesson. You always have recourse, if the order was unlawful, you win. But 'most' cops know the law better than you do since it's their job to enforce it.

For example, if they tell you to clear the scene and you don't, your legal right to be there is over unless you can prove otherwise.

Can you give me an example of an unlawful order where the guy that got arrested for it actually won something afterwards?

Didn't think so, which is why I advocate for disobedience when a cop gives you an order. Until they remember that they are not there to issue orders, they have no business pretending to have the ability to yank a person caring for an injured individual away from what he is doing. Did they check to see if the woman's leg was broken? Did they check to see if he might actually be a doctor? Or did they just assume they had all the fucking answers, and take instant offense when someone didn't fall over themselves licking their boots?

Forum List

Back