New covid strain - being developed - 80% death rate..

Well, they are saying its less deadly...but it has 5 times more viral material than the omicron strain.

But then they also go on to say:

In...mice, while Omicron causes mild, non-fatal infection, the Omicron S-carrying virus inflicts severe disease with a mortality rate of 80 percent

Why.........WHY???............
I follow COVID issues very closely, as I don't want my freedoms abridged over another flu.

I would like to point out that the death rate you mention is for mice, and the original strain of COVID (Alpha, which I survived, ha) caused a 100% death rate in mice in the same lab as part of this same study.[Link]

Mice are useful but not representative of effects in humans.

This "gain of function" research, which Fauci assured us does not happen, showed that they could make a more transmissible form of COVID which still had concerning lethality. Normally, lethality and transmissibility have inverse relationships.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
"According to researchers, the new strain has five times more contagious virus particles compared to omicron variety."

What does that even mean? It makes no sense. Viruses don't have separate contagious and non-contagious virus particles. All the virus particles are the same (within a strain), and they're all contagious.

I follow COVID issues very closely, as I don't want my freedoms abridged over another flu.

I would like to point out that the death rate you mention is for mice, and the original strain of COVID (Alpha, which I survived, ha) caused a 100% death rate in mice in the same lab as part of this same study.[Link]

Mice are useful but not representative of effects in humans.

This "gain of function" research, which Fauci assured us does not happen, showed that they could make a more transmissible form of COVID which still had concerning lethality. Normally, lethality and transmissibility have inverse relationships.

Regards,
Jim
Yep, you have a point. I looked at another site that confirmed this.

Increased viral load means less chance of an immune system's ability to overcome. Overwhelmed the body defense mechanisms are not as effective and more susceptible to disease and injury that can do harm; and with increase viral load the crud infection spreads around more to others easier.

Why.........WHY???............
They found their hybrid virus killed more lab mice than the omicron variant, but was less deadly than the original virus. Omicron killed none of the mice, while 80% died from the hybrid strain and 100% from the original virus, according to the study.

which means worse than omnicron, but less better than original covid.

They found their hybrid virus killed more lab mice than the omicron variant, but was less deadly than the original virus. Omicron killed none of the mice, while 80% died from the hybrid strain and 100% from the original virus, according to the study.

which means worse than omnicron, but less better than original covid.
Correct, I stand corrected.

The NIH has sent an inspection team.

cc: Blaster
Some heads need to roll, and IMO - no question their lab need to be shut down for at least 5 years as a punishment. Which means losing all of those students.
This is nothing less than risking the lives of millions of people - for what??? Have we learned nothing???
I want to see convictions and prison time for the professors and administration officials who knew.
And why the hell has the liberal media ignored this story??

Some heads need to roll, and IMO - no question their lab need to be shut down for at least 5 years as a punishment. Which means losing all of those students.
This is nothing less than risking the lives of millions of people - for what??? Have we learned nothing???
I want to see convictions and prison time for the professors and administration officials who knew.
And why the hell has the liberal media ignored this story??
They published their work here...

It's a pre-print.

They describe the method they used to transfer the spike from the more-contagious Omnicron to the more-deadly body of the Alpha strain.

So even though it's "only" 80% deadly in an individual host, it's much more deadly than Omnicron in the wild.

Soon, labs all over the world are going to be doing these types of "gain of function" research, if they are not already.

"Hey guy's, look! I just made one that kills everything! Mammals, reptiles, amphibians... What do I win?"

I guess we need treaties and laws, but one would think those are already in place. Perhaps they are skirted because the laws focus on weapons, and this GoF stuff charades as public health research.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back