New in town :)

Osomir

VIP Member
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Hello everyone, I just signed up for the site a couple of days ago, have been acclimating to the new forum, and thought I'd introduce myself so that people would have an idea of where I am coming from in terms of my posts.

I'm a fairly diverse guy in terms of my background and interests. I am a former print journalist (for about 7 years), and currently work in the field of international economic development. I've worked for private for profit sectors (as a middle man between African governments and US businesses seeking to engage in infrastructure projects), for NGOS (primarily in the agricultural industry), Academia (consulting work on Middle Eastern and African affairs mainly), and the federal government (A term appointment as an economist with the US Department of State). My current work revolves around international development particularly in the area of educational policy construction.

My educational background rests in Economics (BS) Public Administration (BA) and a Masters in International Affairs with a focus on economic development.

I was born in Washington state and lived there for a time, but am currently living on the east coast.

My main areas of interest outside of the above stated areas include theology, with an emphasis on Christianity and Islam, Africa and the Middle East, international conflict and terrorism (which I followed as a writer), and the outdoors / travel.

I have a fairly eclectic mix of political leanings, economically I am very capitalistic in my stances, free trade, liberalization of markets, etc, though I largely support mixed economies as most economists tend to do (in other words I'm not an anarcho-capitalist / Rothbard / Ron Paul style Libertarian). Outside of that I tend to support many libertarian idea in terms of domestic policy: aka smaller government (usually), with high levels of social freedom and equality. In terms of foreign policy I tend to favor an involved US. I'm not a hawk, but I am a large supporter of institutions like the UN, the World Trade Organization, the IMF, the World Bank, etc.

While I'm not particularly religious myself I always enjoy discussing theology and have a strong respect for religions in general.

I tend to get busy with work and the rest of the day to day living so my posting tends to be sporadic with long absences.

I look forward to having some decent discussions with you all. :)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum Osomir. It sounds as though you've a diverse and detailed mind. That usually bodes well for discussion.

Typo in the first sentence of the second para? :)

Welcome from another newbie (with a lot fewer posts...).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back