🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New research puts to death the “good guy with a gun” narrative

The entire good guy with a gun argument is bogus because it assumes that a gun owner has some sort of responsibility to stop crimes.

He doesn't. If the fucking cops have no legal obligation to come to the aid of the public then law abiding gun owners sure as hell don't.

I carry for self defense (that includes the defense of my wife) that is all. If people choose not to carry for self defense that's their choice and they can live with the consequences

I am not a cop and don't want to be a cop so I will not come to the aid of the general public and risk my life for some stranger.
It assumes no such thing. In a mass shooting, the good guy with a gun is likely to be one of the potential victims. He has every reason in the world to put down the shooter.

The entire good guy with a gun argument is bogus because it assumes that a gun owner has some sort of responsibility to stop crimes.

He doesn't. If the fucking cops have no legal obligation to come to the aid of the public then law abiding gun owners sure as hell don't.

I carry for self defense (that includes the defense of my wife) that is all. If people choose not to carry for self defense that's their choice and they can live with the consequences

I am not a cop and don't want to be a cop so I will not come to the aid of the general public and risk my life for some stranger.

I always said that if we are going to fight crime, it must be done with everybody involved. I live in a predominantly black area. Here, they use what I call the Code of Stupidity. If they are witness to a crime, they don't tell the police anything. The outcome of this is crime continues because they want to punish the criminal in their own illegal way, and then it goes back and forth and never stops.

Understandably, you don't want to get involved in a shooting or killing that's not your business. Even if justified, you can still get charged depending on where you live, if justified, you can still be sued by the criminal or family if you shot him dead, it's just not as simple as shoot and go home.

It's not expected of you to get involved, but it is your option. I would get involved because that too is my option. It's no different than if I wasn't armed, and I seen some young punk beating up an elderly lady for her purse. I'm getting involved. I'm going to try and save her if there is the slightest possibility that I can assist her. Again, that's my option.

It assumes no such thing. In a mass shooting, the good guy with a gun is likely to be one of the potential victims. He has every reason in the world to put down the shooter.

Mass shootings are so rare that using them as an example is meaningless.

Mass shootings are so rare that using them as an example is meaningless.
Stopping mass shootings is what "a good guy with a gun" refers to. Were you thinking that CC holders were going to stop liqour store robberies?

You're in the running for the dumbest post of the month award.

A new study found that states with looser concealed-carry gun laws have higher rates of gun homicide.

The results also showed that higher levels of gun ownership are associated with more mass shootings.

The study suggests the US could reduce gun violence by lowering levels of gun ownership and passing stricter concealed-carry laws.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

The "good guy with a gun" theory goes like this: If more well-intentioned people carry guns, there's a higher chance of stopping a violent shooter.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works in real life, according to new research published in the journal Justice Quarterly. The study found that laws allowing more people to carry guns in public are associated with a rise in gun violence. The results also showed that the higher a state's gun-ownership rate, the more likely a mass shooting is.

Here...some actual truth....

Armed Citizens Are Successful 94% Of The Time At Active Shooter Events [FBI]

Of all the active shooter events there were 33 at which an armed citizen was present. Of those, Armed Citizens were successful at stopping the Active shooter 75.8% of the time (25 incidents) and were successful in reducing the loss of life in an additional 18.2% (6) of incidents. In only 2 of the 33 incidents (6.1%) was the Armed Citizen(s) not helpful in any way in stopping the active shooter or reducing the loss of life.

Thus the headline of our report that Armed Citizens Are Successful 94% Of The Time At Active Shooter Events.

In the 2 incidents at which the armed citizen “failed” to stop or slow the active shooter, one is the previously mentioned incident with hunters. The other is an incident in which the CCWer was shot in the back in a Las Vegas Walmart when he failed to identify that there were 2 Active Shooters involved in the attack. He neglected to identify the one that shot him in the back while he was trying to ambush the other perpetrator.

We also decided to look at the breakdown of events that took place in gun free zones and the relative death toll from events in gun free zones vs non-gun-free zones.

Of the 283 incidents in our data pool, we were unable to identify if the event took place in a gun-free zone in a large number (41%) of the events. Most of the events took place at a business, church, home, or other places at which as a rule of law it is not a gun free zone but potentially could have been declared one by the property owner. Without any information in the FBI study or any indication one way or the other from the news reports, we have indicated that event with a question mark.

If you look at all of the Active Shooter events (pie chart on the top) you see that for those which we have the information, almost twice as many took place in gun free zones than not; but realistically the vast majority of those for which we have no information (indicated as ?) are probably NOT gun free zones.

If you isolate just the events at which 8 or more people were killed the data paints a different picture (pie chart on the bottom). In these incidents, 77.8% took place in a gun-free zone suggesting that gun free zones lead to a higher death rate vs active shooter events in general

=====

One of the final metrics we thought was important to consider is the potential tendency for armed citizens to injure or kill innocent people in their attempt to “save the day.” A common point in political discussions is to point out the lack of training of most armed citizens and the decrease in safety inherent in their presence during violent encounters.

As you can see below, however, at the 33 incidents at which Armed Citizens were present, there were zero situations at which the Armed Citizen injured or killed an innocent person. It never happened.
As already correctly noted: isolated, cherry-picked, anecdotal accounts are not evidence in support of an ‘argument.’

What the objective, documented evidence does confirm is the fact that ‘good guy with a gun’ is a childish myth.

Again, stop trying to ‘justify’ the exercising of a fundamental right where no such justification is needed.

A new study found that states with looser concealed-carry gun laws have higher rates of gun homicide.

The results also showed that higher levels of gun ownership are associated with more mass shootings.

The study suggests the US could reduce gun violence by lowering levels of gun ownership and passing stricter concealed-carry laws.

The "good guy with a gun" theory goes like this: If more well-intentioned people carry guns, there's a higher chance of stopping a violent shooter.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works in real life, according to new research published in the journal Justice Quarterly. The study found that laws allowing more people to carry guns in public are associated with a rise in gun violence. The results also showed that the higher a state's gun-ownership rate, the more likely a mass shooting is.

Of all the active shooter events there were 33 at which an armed citizen was present. Of those, Armed Citizens were successful at stopping the Active shooter 75.8% of the time (25 incidents) and were successful in reducing the loss of life in an additional 18.2% (6) of incidents. In only 2 of the 33 incidents (6.1%) was the Armed Citizen(s) not helpful in any way in stopping the active shooter or reducing the loss of life.

Thus the headline of our report that Armed Citizens Are Successful 94% Of The Time At Active Shooter Events.

In the 2 incidents at which the armed citizen “failed” to stop or slow the active shooter, one is the previously mentioned incident with hunters. The other is an incident in which the CCWer was shot in the back in a Las Vegas Walmart when he failed to identify that there were 2 Active Shooters involved in the attack. He neglected to identify the one that shot him in the back while he was trying to ambush the other perpetrator.

We also decided to look at the breakdown of events that took place in gun free zones and the relative death toll from events in gun free zones vs non-gun-free zones.

Of the 283 incidents in our data pool, we were unable to identify if the event took place in a gun-free zone in a large number (41%) of the events. Most of the events took place at a business, church, home, or other places at which as a rule of law it is not a gun free zone but potentially could have been declared one by the property owner. Without any information in the FBI study or any indication one way or the other from the news reports, we have indicated that event with a question mark.

If you look at all of the Active Shooter events (pie chart on the top) you see that for those which we have the information, almost twice as many took place in gun free zones than not; but realistically the vast majority of those for which we have no information (indicated as ?) are probably NOT gun free zones.

If you isolate just the events at which 8 or more people were killed the data paints a different picture (pie chart on the bottom). In these incidents, 77.8% took place in a gun-free zone suggesting that gun free zones lead to a higher death rate vs active shooter events in general

=====

One of the final metrics we thought was important to consider is the potential tendency for armed citizens to injure or kill innocent people in their attempt to “save the day.” A common point in political discussions is to point out the lack of training of most armed citizens and the decrease in safety inherent in their presence during violent encounters.

As you can see below, however, at the 33 incidents at which Armed Citizens were present, there were zero situations at which the Armed Citizen injured or killed an innocent person. It never happened.
As already correctly noted: isolated, cherry-picked, anecdotal accounts are not evidence in support of an ‘argument.’

What the objective, documented evidence does confirm is the fact that ‘good guy with a gun’ is a childish myth.

Again, stop trying to ‘justify’ the exercising of a fundamental right where no such justification is needed.

Wrong.....again. Actual analysis of actual events where normal people have their legal guns and use them to engage mass public shooters is not anecdotal......actual attacks, actual people who stop the shooter and saves lives.

Its amazing that people reject this FACT that is well known in the civilised world.

It is a fact, and actual research shows that it is a fact, that Americans save lives with their guns...

And another chance for you to answer this question...which you refuse to do over and over again..

How is it that as more Americans own and actually carry guns, our gun crime rate went down 75%?.....according to you the opposite should have happened.

How is it that as more Americans own and actually carry guns, our gun murder rate went down 48%?......According to you the opposite should have happened.

Will you answer this now? Or will you refuse to answer it again?

yeah, i don't believe you.

yeah, i don't believe you.

There was a total of 10 mass public shootings in 2019......and they think that allows them to say anyting about normal gun ownership...

there's a reason 90 percent of hunters are conservatives, and only 10 percent are liberals, my friends

=====

Wrong.

You say this shit like it happens or something lol. It doesn’t. Just because it sounds reasonable that this would happen, it doesn’t mean it actually does.

Don’t give me this no concealed carry shit in Wal Mart or some shit. Gun nuts aren’t going to not carry their guns wherever they want if the gun is, you know, concealed. Remember that shooting in El Paso? No one did shit. No one ever does shit.

Last edited:

=====

Actually, you are the one proclaiming childish myths. It is well proven that in those cases where murder in progress was stopped it was stopped by a good guy with a gun. If you doubt that, try to find incidents where that was not the case. Very very rare. Those people who would disarm the good guys do so because they are obviously pro-crime instead of law an order.

You say this shit like it happens for something lol. If doesn’t. Just because it sounds reasonable that this would happen, it doesn’t mean it actually does.

Don’t give me this no concealed carry shit in Wal Mart or some shit. Gun nuts aren’t going to not carry their guns wherever they want if the gun is, you know, concealed. Remember that shooting in El Paso? No one did shit. No one ever does shit.
Just because you refuse to see something does't mean it isn't there. You're just too close-minded to acknowledge fact.

It assumes no such thing. People have a legal and moral responsibility to protect themselves, their loved ones and other innocents when it is possible to do so. People unwilling to accept that responsibility are simply a waste of good oxygen.

You say this shit like it happens or something lol. It doesn’t. Just because it sounds reasonable that this would happen, it doesn’t mean it actually does.

It does happen, moron. Recall the church mass shooting in FT Worth Texas? A good guy with a gun killed the shooter.

True.

The notion of a ‘gun free zone’ is as much a myth as ‘good guy with a gun.’

A business owner who prohibits firearms on his property isn’t going to know a patron is carrying concealed.

True.

The notion of a ‘gun free zone’ is as much a myth as ‘good guy with a gun.’

A business owner who prohibits firearms on his property isn’t going to know a patron is carrying concealed.
True enough, but law abiding citizens are strongly inclined to obey the law. Criminals are the ones who are likely to flout them.

Gun free zones disarm law abiding citizens and make them easy targets for predators.

You just admitted that they exist.

BTW, it isn't private business owners who are the most likely to create gun free zones. It's local government.

Yeah...and you could cut down the number of knife deaths by outlawing knives and you could down the number of car deaths by outlawing cars...............

Yeah...and you could cut down the number of knife deaths by outlawing knives and you could down the number of car deaths by outlawing cars...............
Let's outlaw bathtubs and gas stoves while we're at it.

Forum List

Back