New Years Eve Traditions

Thunk

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2019
Minnesota
Does your family have any traditions for NYE that have been passed down for generations?

Ours is to eat a piece of herring on new years eve. It doesn't have to be right at midnight...I suppose any time after 6 pm would do. It's supposed to bring luck, health, and good fortune for the new year.

What are your traditions and what do they stand for? (and do you keep them)?

I try to make sure I get drunk every New Year's Eve, just because. But for the last several years now, I get drunk at home and do NOT attempt to drive. My father (who passed away this last August) had a tradition where he, his longtime girlfriend and a couple of married couples they knew, would go to a local Red Lobster each New Year's Eve and would have a nice dinner and a couple of drinks. And they would usually be home before 9PM. They did this for close to 20 years straight. My father's surviving girlfriend plans on going with the married couples again this year.

My tradition is to be in bed by 11:00, sleeping like a baby, unless I’m dealing with a bout of insomnia, like I’m currently dealing with now.

Does your family have any traditions for NYE that have been passed down for generations?

Ours is to eat a piece of herring on new years eve. It doesn't have to be right at midnight...I suppose any time after 6 pm would do. It's supposed to bring luck, health, and good fortune for the new year.

My parents growing up, would go to my mother's friends house. So she had this friend, from all the way back in middle school. Which is incredible to me, that you can have friends for now 60 years, that you have met with constantly your entire life.

Anyway, we would go over, eat a large meal with the four in our family, and the four in their family, and we would eat a huge meal, and then play various trivia games until midnight.

That is long over now. Her kids grew up and have lives. My sister's family, they go to her husbands family in another state. And honestly, I get tired now staying up all night, so I generally leave right after diner, which I rarely go.

I think my parents still go over to her house for dinner, but I don't think they stay till midnight anymore.

I do miss...SOMETIMES...being a NYC policeman. Used to get the Times Square detail for 15 years....Everyone should see it and be there in real time.....This was before all the security in the 1970's and the amount of alchohol and weed was a sight and smelling feast that will never be seen again.....started around noon time and grew to be over 1 million people in about a 10 block square area.....I was higher than a kite by 11 PM from a CLOUD COVER OF WEED that just hung in the air. ESPECIALLY when there wasn't much of a wind out.....truly a once in a lifetime experience. All the STONED WOMEN loved the cops back then, with many of them groping anyone with a uniform on. Yes, the memories linger on, and ALWAYS brings back a smile!

My tradition is to be in bed by 11:00, sleeping like a baby, unless I’m dealing with a bout of insomnia, like I’m currently dealing with now.
You should TRY to make it to midnight. I'm pretty sure I have every year since I hit my teenage years in the mid 1970's.

I’ve just never really been big on New Years once I got around to my mid twenties. I lived in New York City most of my life and every place is so expensive to go to with people acting like drunken fools everywhere you go.

I do miss...SOMETIMES...being a NYC policeman. Used to get the Times Square detail for 15 years....Everyone should see it and be there in real time.....This was before all the security in the 1970's and the amount of alchohol and weed was a sight and smelling feast that will never be seen again.....started around noon time and grew to be over 1 million people in about a 10 block square area.....I was higher than a kite by 11 PM from a CLOUD COVER OF WEED that just hung in the air. ESPECIALLY when there wasn't much of a wind out.....truly a once in a lifetime experience. All the STONED WOMEN loved the cops back then, with many of them groping anyone with a uniform on. Yes, the memories linger on, and ALWAYS brings back a smile!

Yep yep yep
Yeszzer

Today it looks and functions like a massive penned in cattle yard ..no self respecting native goes

THAT sounded like a lot of fun.

Toshikoshi Soba New Years Eve & Ozoni on the first.

When my parents were married, their anniversary was the day before New Years Eve and so any celebrating that took place would happened a day early.

God bless you and my mom always!!!

Holly

P.S. Yesterday would've been their 47th. Their divorce was final two months after their 23rd anniversary.

Forum List

Back