Nike shares hit as Kapernick ad spurs boycott

As Trump brilliantly tweeted: "what was Nike thinking?!"

It was thinking that its ad would appeal to its target demo and result in more people wanting to buy their product.

Ace Metrix polled consumers on how Kaepernick’s signing would impact their plans to spend money with Nike. Thirteen percent of those surveyed said they were less likely to purchase from Nike after viewing Kaepernick’s first ad. That percentage was down to 10 percent among millennials and 6 amongst Generation Z. Conversely, a staggering 56 percent of those surveyed said they were more likely to purchase from Nike after seeing the commercial.

Kaepernick's Nike commercial 'is a big hit with consumers'

And it appears Nike was right.

How many kids parents are going to give in when little Jimmy comes home all upset because he is the only one without the new LeBrons?

Well, you've definitely shown us the difference between your parenting style and effective parenting.

Yep, not effective at all. I did not just have a daughter graduate from nursing school, take her state boards less than two weeks after graduating, passed them and now after two job interviews has two job offers to choose from. Oh wait, yes I did.

You are probably too stupid to know this ,but the point of parenting is to prepare your children to be adults. And the wife and I did that in spades!

Yeah, I don't see how arbitrarily forbidding your kid from certain brand sneakers has anything to do with effective parenting.

You wouldn't.

But then I wouldn't try to force my political views on my kids either.

Yes, I'm sure you would exhibit stellar parenting by never telling your children what you believe about anything or your viewpoint on the world, because everyone knows that the 'raised by wolves' method is best.

Tell me again, why am I supposed to respect you as a human, let alone as a parent?

By all means, keep advising us all on the "proper" method of parenting. We can all use a good laugh.

It was thinking that its ad would appeal to its target demo and result in more people wanting to buy their product.

Ace Metrix polled consumers on how Kaepernick’s signing would impact their plans to spend money with Nike. Thirteen percent of those surveyed said they were less likely to purchase from Nike after viewing Kaepernick’s first ad. That percentage was down to 10 percent among millennials and 6 amongst Generation Z. Conversely, a staggering 56 percent of those surveyed said they were more likely to purchase from Nike after seeing the commercial.

Oh, so Nike thinks that by pissing off half the country it can increase its sales and stock prices? It appears that Nike is yet another company that is run by out of touch delusional Leftards.

Nike shares fall as backlash erupts over new ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick

Well, you've definitely shown us the difference between your parenting style and effective parenting.

Yep, not effective at all. I did not just have a daughter graduate from nursing school, take her state boards less than two weeks after graduating, passed them and now after two job interviews has two job offers to choose from. Oh wait, yes I did.

You are probably too stupid to know this ,but the point of parenting is to prepare your children to be adults. And the wife and I did that in spades!

Yeah, I don't see how arbitrarily forbidding your kid from certain brand sneakers has anything to do with effective parenting.

You wouldn't.

But then I wouldn't try to force my political views on my kids either.

Yes, I'm sure you would exhibit stellar parenting by never telling your children what you believe about anything or your viewpoint on the world, because everyone knows that the 'raised by wolves' method is best.

Tell me again, why am I supposed to respect you as a human, let alone as a parent?

By all means, keep advising us all on the "proper" method of parenting. We can all use a good laugh.

Sharing your beliefs, discussing it with them, sure.

Forcing them to follow my beliefs....on something as arbitrary as *shoe wear*? Um, no.

Oh, so Nike thinks that by pissing off half the country it can increase its sales and stock prices? It appears that Nike is yet another company that is run by out of touch delusional Leftards.

Among those watching the ad those less likely to buy are outnumbered almost 5 to 1 by those who are more likely to buy.

You're just outnumbered.

Among those watching the ad those less likely to buy are outnumbered almost 5 to 1 by those who are more likely to buy.

You're just outnumbered.
Is that why its shares are falling? I predict some Nike execs are going to be fired before this is over.

Nike shares fall as backlash erupts over new ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick

Nike investors aren't happy about the Colin Kaepernick ad

Nike Loses $3.75 Billion in Market Cap After Colin Kaepernick Named Face of 'Just Do It'

You're just outnumbered.
Is that why its shares are falling? I predict some Nike execs are going to be fired before this is over.

Nike Loses $3.75 Billion in Market Cap After Colin Kaepernick Named Face of 'Just Do It'

They aren't. They've been rising for 3 days. They're now at about 81.

About $2 of the $3 dollar drop has already been recovered. With Nike having received about $160 million in free publicity. And its ad campaign wildly popular with its target demo......with those more likely to buy after watching the ad outnumbering those less likely to buy by a factor of almost 5 to 1.

You're just outnumbered.

More ominous, in my opinion, is the fact that their favorability rating in the eyes of the public is dropping. Now, obviously, whether or not that matters depends on whether or not this blows over quickly.

Nike Sustains Swift Reputation Hit Following Kaepernick Ad

1. Nike’s Favorability Drops by Double Digits: Before the announcement, Nike had a net +69 favorable impression among consumers, it has now declined 34 points to +35 favorable.
  2. No Boost Among Key Demos: Among younger generations, Nike users, African Americans, and other key demographics, Nike’s favorability declined rather than improved.
  3. Purchasing Consideration Also Down: Before the announcement, 49 percent of Americans said they were absolutely certain or very likely to buy Nike products. That figure is down to 39 percent now.
  4. The Effect on the NFL Seems Small, For Now: Forty percent of consumers said Nike’s campaign does not make them more or less likely to watch/attend NFL games — 21 percent said more likely and 26 percent said less likely (14 percent didn’t know).

You're just outnumbered.

More ominous, in my opinion, is the fact that their favorability rating in the eyes of the public is dropping. Now, obviously, whether or not that matters depends on whether or not this blows over quickly.

1. Nike’s Favorability Drops by Double Digits: Before the announcement, Nike had a net +69 favorable impression among consumers, it has now declined 34 points to +35 favorable.
  2. No Boost Among Key Demos: Among younger generations, Nike users, African Americans, and other key demographics, Nike’s favorability declined rather than improved.
  3. Purchasing Consideration Also Down: Before the announcement, 49 percent of Americans said they were absolutely certain or very likely to buy Nike products. That figure is down to 39 percent now.
  4. The Effect on the NFL Seems Small, For Now: Forty percent of consumers said Nike’s campaign does not make them more or less likely to watch/attend NFL games — 21 percent said more likely and 26 percent said less likely (14 percent didn’t know).
Like I said, in which alternate universe is it a good strategy to piss off half of the country to think twice about buying your products?

You're just outnumbered.

Like I said, in which alternate universe is it a good strategy to piss off half of the country to think twice about buying your products?

After watching the ad only 13% are less likely to buy. While 56% are *more* likely to buy.

With only 10% of the key demos of millenials or Gen Z being less likely to buy. With 90% being as likely or more likely to purchase.

That would be why Nike ran the ad.

You're just outnumbered.

Depends how much you piss them off, and why.

The leftist dingbats here aren't wrong, so far as it goes, that if your key demographic is one that might be attracted by a company being offensive to another group - such as rebellious teenagers liking something because their parents find it offensive - that pissing off that other group might be sound marketing. However, Nike's products are far too mainstream and popular across demographic groups for that sort of "edgy" stance to really work, at least in my opinion. The dingbats would like to believe that Nike is only concerned about marketing to kids and blacks, but that's belied by the breadth of their product line.

Right now, I think they're counting on just enough controversy to guarantee them attention, and then it blows over and leaves them with JUST the heightened visibility and perhaps a vague connotation around their name of "social responsibility" or whatever. It could work, and in other times WOULD probably work. Right now, though, it runs a lot more risk of being a bad bet than it would have five years ago.

I'm thinking they should have given a much closer look to how the kneeling thing has affected the NFL over the long haul.

Last edited:

You're just outnumbered.

Depends how much you piss them off, and why.

The leftist dingbats here aren't wrong, so far as it goes, that if your key demographic is one that might be attracted by a company being offensive to another group - such as rebellious teenagers liking something because their parents find it offensive - that pissing off that other group might be sound marketing. However, Nike's products are far too mainstream and popular across demographic groups for that sort of "edgy" stance to really work, at least in my opinion. The dingbats would like to believe that Nike is only concerned about marketing to kids and blacks, but that's belied by the breadth of their product line.

The hole in your reasoning being.....that only 13% of those who watched the ad were *less* likely to buy Nike products. With 56% being more likely to buy Nike products after watching the ad.

There clearly aren't that many 'pissed off' people if 87% of those watching ad are as likely or more likely to buy Nike products after watching the ad.

And that's in ALL demos. If you look at their key demos, Gen Z and Millenials.....that number jumps to 90% more likely or as likely to buy Nike products after watching the ad.

With $160 million in free publicity. And their stock price rising for 3 days.

You're just outnumbered.

They fell for 3 hours, and have been going back up ever since that time

upload_2018-9-7_11-49-48.png

Nike's brand image took a huge hit...across every demographic. I know damn well that got Nike's attention

Collapse in Brand Image for Nike Following

The report features over 8,000 interviews conducted among American adults, including 1,694 interviews pre-campaign launch (8/26/18 – 9/3/18) and 5,481 interviews post-campaign launch (9/4/18 – 9/5/18). Additionally, Morning Consult conducted a study among 1,168 adults in the U.S. about Nike’s ad and the decision to choose Kaepernick as the face of the campaign.

• Nike’s Favorability Drops by Double Digits: Before the announcement, Nike had a net +69 favorable impression among consumers, it has now declined 34 points to +35 favorable. GO SEE

Out of 135 billion, yeah it is. Context is everything.

The context I'm seeing here is that it's easy to dismiss 4 billion as "a slight hit" when not a single penny of it is YOURS.

Do you own Nike stocks? If not then a penny of it is not your either.

Nike is up more than 53% in the last year, do you think investors are really pissed about this blip on the radar? Hell, they have gotten 2.5 of that 4 billion back already.

What difference does it make if any of it is mine? I'M not the one waving off $4 billion as chump change in service of my political agenda.

If you had 135 bucks and lost 4 of it would you lose your mind like you are now?

Besides, they have more than half of it back already. It was blip, it happens in the markets. Nike had a bigger dip back in June, were you losing your mind over it too?

Yeah, that's totally the same. :eusa_hand:

Besides, if you think it's just about a dip in the stock prices, and then it's all over, you're whistling past the graveyard, punkin. This isn't even remotely over yet.

The negative side to this is over, the ad had a favorability rating of 5 times the unfavorable. With the younger demographic it was even higher than that

Exactly.

Celebrities show their support of Colin Kaepernick's Nike ad
Nike's Colin Kaepernick Deal Adds Up When You See Customer Data ... And We Did

Young people generally support him...and they are the demographic Nike is shooting for...not old conservatives.

If Chevy Trucks had done this...I would say, 'they will regret it BIG time'.
But Nike? I am not sure...but my guess is it will not hurt them REMOTELY as much as Trumpbots hope it does. It could even help them BIG time.
Those kids parents buy their expensive Nike shoes. I imagine a lot of kids wont be wearing them from now on. They will become fans of different brands as a result. Reebok is loving this Kap nonsense.

How many kids parents are going to give in when little Jimmy comes home all upset because he is the only one without the new LeBrons?

"I has anecdotal Internet evidence, so I WIIIIIN!!!"

Uh huh.

You are probably too stupid to know this, but nothing you've said is even relevant to what I said, much less a rebuttal. But thanks for playing.

Yet, here you are still replying to me...

You're just outnumbered.

You far overestimate the number of pissed off middle aged white men.

Nike's brand image took a huge hit...across every demographic. I know damn well that got Nike's attention

The report features over 8,000 interviews conducted among American adults, including 1,694 interviews pre-campaign launch (8/26/18 – 9/3/18) and 5,481 interviews post-campaign launch (9/4/18 – 9/5/18). Additionally, Morning Consult conducted a study among 1,168 adults in the U.S. about Nike’s ad and the decision to choose Kaepernick as the face of the campaign.

• Nike’s Favorability Drops by Double Digits: Before the announcement, Nike had a net +69 favorable impression among consumers, it has now declined 34 points to +35 favorable. GO SEE

I think this got their attention far more:

With those likely to buy more outnumbering those likely to buy less......by a factor of nearly 5 to 1.

I think this got their attention far more:

With those likely to buy more outnumbering those likely to buy less......by a factor of nearly 5 to 1.

Ooooh...that has GOTTA hurt Trumpbots.

Forum List

Back