No men around, and you want a baby? Sleep with your dad!

I think the thing to take away here, Synth, is that the story of Lot's daughters is not saying how great it is to engage in incest. The scholarly view, according to Dr. Amy-Jill Levine, is that the story is intended to smear the Moabites and Ammorites by making reference to their questionable parentage and incestuous origins according to Genesis 19:36-38 which reads, "36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi; he is the father of the Ammonites of today." It is worth notice that you did not include that part in your OP as it seems to make the point quite clearly.

Other explanations have been advanced including the need for women to have children to care for them in their old age, the possible thought that it was because the girls thought they needed to repopulate the world, etc. Regardless of how you look at it, these all consider the acts a necessary evil, not something that should be done just for shits and giggles.

Your OP, that suggests that the Bible teaches that incestuous pregnancy is a good idea, doesn't seem to have a whole lot of merit unless you ignore the cultural context and/or cherry-pick it to remove verses that clarify the literary context.
If you had read any of the bibles, you would understand that familial relations are a theme in the bibles.

The Noah fable leaves us with the gawds providing for Noah and his immediate family to re-populate the earth.

Lovely, lovely folks those gawds.

Yeah clearly I have never read a Bible. Sheesh. Yes family relations are a common theme but they are not reflected in glowing terms. Further, as I pointed out, the stories in Genesis especially are legends designed to make a point. They are not records of historical events.Go back and read my post about the Gospel of Philip and the Tao Te Ching.
Oh, well as long as familial relations are not reflected in glowing terms, we can all feel better about incest.

Couldn't all of that have been avoided if the gawds hadn't first decided to wipe humanity from the planet? I'd have thought that the gawds wouldn't have magically poofed humanity onto the planet only to wipe them out a few thousand years later because they were a disappointment.

Seems kinda' petty, cruel and nasty, that serial mass murder, thing.

Read and learn No men around and you want a baby Sleep with your dad Page 7 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Perhaps if you put half the energy into learning about things as you do rolling your ball of elephant shit around the boards, you might actually come across as if you know what you are talking about.
Ahhhh...I finally found it! The dung beetle of the message board

I think the thing to take away here, Synth, is that the story of Lot's daughters is not saying how great it is to engage in incest. The scholarly view, according to Dr. Amy-Jill Levine, is that the story is intended to smear the Moabites and Ammorites by making reference to their questionable parentage and incestuous origins according to Genesis 19:36-38 which reads, "36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi; he is the father of the Ammonites of today." It is worth notice that you did not include that part in your OP as it seems to make the point quite clearly.

Other explanations have been advanced including the need for women to have children to care for them in their old age, the possible thought that it was because the girls thought they needed to repopulate the world, etc. Regardless of how you look at it, these all consider the acts a necessary evil, not something that should be done just for shits and giggles.

Your OP, that suggests that the Bible teaches that incestuous pregnancy is a good idea, doesn't seem to have a whole lot of merit unless you ignore the cultural context and/or cherry-pick it to remove verses that clarify the literary context.
If you had read any of the bibles, you would understand that familial relations are a theme in the bibles.

The Noah fable leaves us with the gawds providing for Noah and his immediate family to re-populate the earth.

Yeah clearly I have never read a Bible. Sheesh. Yes family relations are a common theme but they are not reflected in glowing terms. Further, as I pointed out, the stories in Genesis especially are legends designed to make a point. They are not records of historical events.Go back and read my post about the Gospel of Philip and the Tao Te Ching.
Oh, well as long as familial relations are not reflected in glowing terms, we can all feel better about incest.

Couldn't all of that have been avoided if the gawds hadn't first decided to wipe humanity from the planet? I'd have thought that the gawds wouldn't have magically poofed humanity onto the planet only to wipe them out a few thousand years later because they were a disappointment.

Read and learn No men around and you want a baby Sleep with your dad Page 7 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Perhaps if you put half the energy into learning about things as you do rolling your ball of elephant shit around the boards, you might actually come across as if you know what you are talking about.

Yeah she is about to become the third person on USMB that has gained the honor of my ignore list. Let me tell you...you have to be pretty stupid for me to put you on ignore. So stupid in fact that you can't even understand a basic principle. Hell Delta4Embassy and Koshergrl aren't even on ignore and their combined brain power might rival a lump of osmium. Oh psst Hollie....osmium is the element on the planet that has the most density...think about that for a while. The point should hit you in a couple...oh...weeks.

Yeah she is about to become the third person on USMB that has gained the honor of my ignore list. Let me tell you...you have to be pretty stupid for me to put you on ignore. So stupid in fact that you can't even understand a basic principle. Hell Delta4Embassy and Koshergrl aren't even on ignore and their combined brain power might rival a lump of osmium. Oh psst Hollie....osmium is the element on the planet that has the most density...think about that for a while. The point should hit you in a couple...oh...weeks.
I suppose when you're too befuddled to address the issues presented to you, launch into your usual pattern of juvenile name-calling and run away.

I suppose when you're too befuddled to address the issues presented to you, launch into your usual pattern of juvenile name-calling and run away.
Why do you waste your time talking religious literature when you do not believe any of it? You only have one life to live you know. No afterlife for you so best make the most of this one and stop trying to convince others to sink with your ship

Oh my God are you really this stupi...yes.....yes....you are. Clearly. I have never seen someone pound the same point over and over to someone who is not disagreeing with them and think they are really sticking it to me. What that tells me is that you are not even bothering to read what is being said to you. You are just blathering in the hope that someone will think you are as smart as you seem to think you are. Welcome to Ignore. Four years I have been on these boards and you are #3. Do you realize how stupid that makes you that in four years I have only found two people so completely ignorant and as useless to talk to as you?

Enjoy rolling around your ball of elephant shit. But don't think others don't notice the stench.

Oh my God are you really this stupi...yes.....yes....you are. Clearly. I have never seen someone pound the same point over and over to someone who is not disagreeing with them and think they are really sticking it to me. What that tells me is that you are not even bothering to read what is being said to you. You are just blathering in the hope that someone will think you are as smart as you seem to think you are. Welcome to Ignore. Four years I have been on these boards and you are #3. Do you realize how stupid that makes you that in four years I have only found two people so completely ignorant and as useless to talk to as you?

Enjoy rolling around your ball of elephant shit. But don't think others don't notice the stench.
Such an angry, self-hater. I tried to provide you an opportunity to defend your claims and you danced and shuffled.

Your best efforts are spent in childish tantrums replete with name-calling. Are you 12 years old?

Why do you waste your time talking religious literature when you do not believe any of it? You only have one life to live you know. No afterlife for you so best make the most of this one and stop trying to convince others to sink with your ship

She is not talking about religion. She has no interest in a conversation. She is simply telling her truth to anyone who will listen. She obviously isn't even paying attention to what people are saying back. She is just ranting so she can rant and feel better about herself. Waste of my time. Put it this way, Trinity. She has been ranting for some time now about how I am a Christian fundamentalist. That put it into perspective now?

She is not talking about religion. She has no interest in a conversation. She is simply telling her truth to anyone who will listen. She obviously isn't even paying attention to what people are saying back. She is just ranting so she can rant and feel better about herself. Waste of my time. Put it this way, Trinity. She has been ranting for some time now about how I am a Christian fundamentalist. That put it into perspective now?
She has hoped you would have been able to sit at the grown-up table. She was wrong to expect anything but juvenile banter from the angry, self-hater.

Such an angry, self-hater. I tried to provide you an opportunity to defend your claims and you danced and shuffled.

Your best efforts are spent in childish tantrums replete with name-calling. Are you 12 years old?
You demand others provide sources and research material then reject it without one piece of evidence of your own. It is not taking me long to figure out who the trolls are again. Blue has a much higher tolerance for people I spot as not worth wasting my breath on speaking. He also has more patience than I do concerning these things. Why bother being a part of a discussion when it is obvious you have no interest?

She has hoped you would have been able to sit at the grown-up table. She was wrong to expect anything but juvenile banter from the angry, self-hater.
Being a grown up means you stop acting like a child and be a good listener and listening means hearing what others have to say and adding merit to your side of a conversation. You do neither, nor have I seen you state your own beliefs, just label other people by filing their views in a box and labeling them wrong. Same behavior goes for a couple others who do not even try to rattle my chain any longer. Go peddle your banter elsewhere. I am not buying into it

Please ignore the fact that they had just witnessed fire coming down killing everyone they knew.

Perhaps they thought Lot was the last man standing?

Not that it matters. Please carry on with your mocking post.

why would that matter.

Besides the fact there is no evidence they thought they were the last humans standing. Zoar was a city and it was not destroyed, and that is where Lot and family went first.

19:20 Behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.
19:21 And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.
19:22 Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do anything till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.
19:23 The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar.

So Lot and family were safe in Zoar when Sodom was destroyed.

Okay.

So at least one man in Zoar to slip the daughters of Lot the Sausage.

But...

19:30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.
19:31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:

You demand others provide sources and research material then reject it without one piece of evidence of your own. It is not taking me long to figure out who the trolls are again. Blue has a much higher tolerance for people I spot as not worth wasting my breath on speaking. He also has more patience than I do concerning these things. Why bother being a part of a discussion when it is obvious you have no interest?

Because she is angry, Trinity. She gives her life more meaning by trying to make other people as angry with God as she is with her own life. So she gets on here and bitches about 'people of faith who have no tolerance for other viewpoints' while she demonstrates the exact same bigotry and intolerance as those she rants about. She is not interesting in learning. She is not interested in having a discussion. All she is interested in is hurting people by attempting to interfere with their faith and their lives and giving her own life justification by hoping to convince others that she has some semblance of a brain.

Basically...she's a troll and that's what gives her life meaning. She is to be pitied, not condemned...but at the same time I have no further interest in being her enabler and assisting her in maintaining the misery of her existence.

Because she is angry, Trinity. She gives her life more meaning by trying to make other people as angry with God as she is with her own life. So she gets on here and bitches about 'people of faith who have no tolerance for other viewpoints' while she demonstrates the exact same bigotry and intolerance as those she rants about. She is not interesting in learning. She is not interested in having a discussion. All she is interested in is hurting people by attempting to interfere with their faith and their lives and giving her own life justification by hoping to convince others that she has some semblance of a brain.

Basically...she's a troll and that's what gives her life meaning. She is to be pitied, not condemned...but at the same time I have no further interest in being her enabler and assisting her in maintaining the misery of her existence.
Well, I suppose that's one way to shuffle off when your argument has been shown to be bankrupt.

Well, I suppose that's one way to shuffle off when your argument has been shown to be bankrupt.
Shuffle off then, you haven't even mad an argument. Make a point or muzzle your snout

Please ignore the fact that they had just witnessed fire coming down killing everyone they knew.

why would that matter.

Besides the fact there is no evidence they thought they were the last humans standing. Zoar was a city and it was not destroyed, and that is where Lot and family went first.

19:20 Behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.
19:21 And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.
19:22 Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do anything till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.

Okay.

But...

19:30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.
19:31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:

Well as I have stated, I endorse the view that the author was insulting the Ammorites and Moabites but calling them incestuous scum, but look at the last verse you posted. "19:31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth"

"There is not a man in the earth to come in unto us....." yet you state "Besides the fact there is no evidence they thought they were the last humans standing." It seems to me that the very scripture you quote contradicts your argument.

Here is a footnote from Genesis 19 (Amplified). From it, it sure sounds like Lot believed that city was going down as well so e left to the mountains with his daughters. They likely did think they were the last people alive. These girls were probably not very old. What would you have thought if you were say 14 in those times and saw what you saw?
  1. Genesis 19:28 Not only were Sodom and Gomorrah blazing ruins, but also Admah and Zeboiim (Deut. 29:23; Hos. 11:8), as well as all the towns in the Valley of Siddim; Zoar was the lone exception.

why would that matter.

Okay.

But...

My only point here is that none of this would have happened had they not believed that they were the last people left on earth

Hmmm...Hollie disappeared. Oh I think I found her!

This about sums her up, Trinity. Keep a-rolling your ball of shit, Hollie!

dung-beetle-o.gif

Forum List

Back