Not All Conservatives Thrilled About Romney VP Pick

actually, a pretty awful one because Republicans have spent decades making sure their corporate pals get a slice of the pie.

Take Medicare Part D, where the Medicare Adminstration was FORBIDDEN from buying drugs in bulk to save money so not to cut into big Pharma's profits.

So the original idea- Great. Make sure granny gets her medication rather than the expensive procedures that follow if she doesn't.

But Republicans said, "Hey, there isn't a douchebag getting rich off this deal, and frankly, nothing works in america unless someone gets rich!"
You're actually the douchebag here. Even if you are far from rich.
The main reason they prohibited medicare from negotiating is because they didnt want a monopsony on drugs. I realize you'll have to look up the term but it's good for you.

Medicare would not create a monopsony on drugs.

Wrong.

The main reason they prohibited medicare from negotiating is because they didnt want a monopsony on drugs. I realize you'll have to look up the term but it's good for you.

So essentially, you found a fancy word to admit I was right. The only reason why the GOP didn't want that to happen is so Big Pharma's profits would be protected. Just not seeing why that is a bad thing.

In fact, the government could use it's buying power to make a lot of industries behave better.

for instance, let the gun companies know, if they don't take high capacity magaizines off the market, the government won't buy guns from their companies.

Remind me who the strongest supporters of Obamacare were. Yeah, drug companies, hospitals, and insurance companies.

Oh, I agree, they were because even they know the current system, the system that Romney says he wants to go back to, is unsustainable. And that's the thing. You guys whine all day about socialized medicine, but the fact is, the government covered 100 million people before ObamaCare, and the other 150 million only get employer based health coverage of some sort because the government subsidized it through tax breaks.

So essentially, you found a fancy word to admit I was right. The only reason why the GOP didn't want that to happen is so Big Pharma's profits would be protected. Just not seeing why that is a bad thing.

In fact, the government could use it's buying power to make a lot of industries behave better.

for instance, let the gun companies know, if they don't take high capacity magaizines off the market, the government won't buy guns from their companies.

Remind me who the strongest supporters of Obamacare were. Yeah, drug companies, hospitals, and insurance companies.

Oh, I agree, they were because even they know the current system, the system that Romney says he wants to go back to, is unsustainable. And that's the thing. You guys whine all day about socialized medicine, but the fact is, the government covered 100 million people before ObamaCare, and the other 150 million only get employer based health coverage of some sort because the government subsidized it through tax breaks.

It wasn't fancy, comrade.
Yes, gov't can fix everything by passing enough coercing laws. Fuck you, you worthless Stalinist pig.

Wrong.

So Medicare would be a sole purchaser of prescription drugs?

Never mind all the private insurers who purchase drugs.
The private individuals.
The nation of Canada.
The nation of France
Britain
Japan
China
India
Mexico....

I could go on.

Medicare is much further removed from a monopsony than Wal Mart.

It wasn't fancy, comrade.
Yes, gov't can fix everything by passing enough coercing laws. Fuck you, you worthless Stalinist pig.

Guy, I suspect that this thread is the only place that word is used in this forum or anywhere else. Yes, it's a fancy word if most people don't ever use it.

And, hey, I'm about solutions, not idealogies. The Free Market had its chance to fix the problems, and they've only gotten worse. Time to try something else.

Wrong.

The private individuals.
The nation of Canada.
The nation of France
Britain
Japan
China
India
Mexico....

I could go on.

Medicare would account for so much of the market it might as well be a monopsony. Other countries have negotiated prices already. This is why people opposed reimportation of drugs from Canada. The US is subsidizing the rest of the world in pharmaceuticals. Maybe that's something you could get upset about.

The private individuals.
The nation of Canada.
The nation of France
Britain
Japan
China
India
Mexico....

I could go on.

Medicare would account for so much of the market it might as well be a monopsony.

No, they wouldn't even be 25% of the market.

Other countries have negotiated prices already.

So are they all monopsonies?

This is why people opposed reimportation of drugs from Canada. The US is subsidizing the rest of the world in pharmaceuticals. Maybe that's something you could get upset about.
I agree. That's why my town participated in a reimportation program.

Why should we subsidize the rest of the world in the name of avoiding a phantom monopsony?

Considering anyone with basic machining knowledge can make a gun magazine (its a metal box with springs) if the big companies stopped selling them, there would be hundreds of new ones springing up to fill the demand.

Considering anyone with basic machining knowledge can make a gun magazine (its a metal box with springs) if the big companies stopped selling them, there would be hundreds of new ones springing up to fill the demand.

No need. You know how many are already in circulation?

Yawn. To early in the morning to try to school you. Get lost.

Nice dodge. Pathetic and sad, but cute.

No dodge, Seymour.

Here, chew on this. I realize you will draw incorrect conclusions from what he writes but that's par.

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/what-if-medicares-drug-benefit-was-more-like-the-vas/

While that's an interesting attempt at changing the subject, it says nothing about monopsony purchasing power. Nor does it say that allowing Medicare to negotiate rates would harm consumers - only that it would reduce consumer surplus (it would also reduce producer surplus, which is why Republicans hate it).

Consumer surplus isn't much of a factor for life-saving medicines.

Please try again.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back