Nothing irks me off more than libertarian college kids...

Education inflation has been multiples of CPI due to the easy money of student loans. If the government hadn't fueled the bubble, those students would have far less debt for their education.

Whatever happened to 'working' your way through school? A lot of people getting student loans don't realize they have taken out $80K for a degree that pays tops $25K. There is so much window dressing in schools these days that is put there to pay the bills, and kids jut don't realize if you don't go into a profession you get nothing for your hard work.

I worked my way through college doing minimum wage jobs ($2.10) over summers and school breaks. Paid my tuition for four years.

I don't think todays students have the same option

They absolutely do.

Florida Colleges Accept Rick Scott's $10,000 Degree Challenge, Skepticism Remains

$2500 per year. But, one has to live like a broke college kid (like everyone who didn't have rich parents did when I was in school).

Whatever happened to 'working' your way through school? A lot of people getting student loans don't realize they have taken out $80K for a degree that pays tops $25K. There is so much window dressing in schools these days that is put there to pay the bills, and kids jut don't realize if you don't go into a profession you get nothing for your hard work.

I worked my way through college doing minimum wage jobs ($2.10) over summers and school breaks. Paid my tuition for four years.

They absolutely do.

Florida Colleges Accept Rick Scott's $10,000 Degree Challenge, Skepticism Remains

$2500 per year. But, one has to live like a broke college kid (like everyone who didn't have rich parents did when I was in school).

Good for Florida

More states need to follow their lead

Clearly if we eliminated subsidized student loans so students had to pay a higher interest rate to get a loan - that would reduce their debt burden, right?

Education inflation has been multiples of CPI due to the easy money of student loans. If the government hadn't fueled the bubble, those students would have far less debt for their education.

That's simply not true.
Myth: Increases in Federal Student Aid Drive Increases in Tuition
Public university tuition has inflated due to reductions in public funding of universities. Inflation in private school tuitions has not been nearly as high because they rely on far less public funding. Your analysis is based on either the faulty presumption that universities are for-profit - most are not - or the faulty presumption that not-for-profits behave as if they were profit seeking - most do not. Charitable thrift shops raise their prices when their costs go up, not when their customers get better loans. Universities raise tuition to cover their costs - not to deliver profit into shareholders hands.

They didn't mention the increased availability of student loans, and that's the main culprit. Colleges and universities can increase their prices because people can pay it.

The best thing that can happen for higher ed is online education which breaks the high cost model of more administrators than teachers and excess tuition to support unnecessary country club amenities.

Saddling a kid with $100K of debt for living with fancy gyms and dorm rooms for four years is fraud.

Yes, I'm told often about how lefties are far more intelligent than anyone who dares to disagree with them on something. And I appreciate your willingness to communicate with someone with my limited intellectual capacity.

That said, I notice you didn't refute my point, choosing instead a predictable path of all partisan ideologues: Personal insults and diversion.

It's the hallmark of an "intelligent" person. When you reach a point of intelligence where you are so far above other people, you have the right, nay, the obligation to just insult people and mock them rather than have a dicussion on the topic. It's beneath the truly intelligent to make arguments and defend their positions. If you were "intelligent" you would know that.

That's what makes you unintelligent:)

When I was in college I worked three part-time jobs (mostly overnight), had a partial scholarship, trained 6-8 hours a day, completed two BA programs in 4 years, drank too much (seasonally), and chased skirts with intermittent degrees of success. I also took out a shit load of student loans.

NOthing pisses me off more than Libtards who make excessive requirements and licensing, in order to engage in a profession, that can only be obtained by going through useless quantities of university courses.

Like what? Brain Surgery? Structural Engineering? Aeronautical Engineering?

Economics? Or do liberals routinely skip that course?

They absolutely do.

Good for Florida

More states need to follow their lead

True, but I also share your concern for the quality of education. It's not easy to find, but most schools have excellent programs in some area. The key is making sure the program you are in is one of those excellent programs. Hopping from major to major to major is a luxury and that comes with a high cost.

While not ideal, things are a LOT better now than they were in the early 1980s when my older brother started college. Financial aid was a maze and many many college admissions were based on ability to pay. The consolidated FAFSA has made the means easier to get, but it comes with a hefty cost. It's easy for kids to become professional students.

NOthing pisses me off more than Libtards who make excessive requirements and licensing, in order to engage in a profession, that can only be obtained by going through useless quantities of university courses.

Like what? Brain Surgery? Structural Engineering? Aeronautical Engineering?

Economics? Or do liberals routinely skip that course?

They don't skip it, they just mistake their Clockwork Orange programming for an economics course.

Sure they do... many just don't want to. And why would they? You can borrow a shitpot of money and study Druid philosophy for ten years.

Show me how a college student working summers at minimum wage can afford a years tuition

By going to a school you can afford. Going to night school.

Nothing irks me off more than libertarian college kids

And why exactly would any being in the universe give a shit what irks YOU? :confused:

Also, why on earth would he give that much power to a 19 year old kid he doesn't know and doesn't agree with?

If a 19 year old progressive says something stupid, Im not going to get irked about it. If I did that, Id be incredibly miserable.

I dont mind when people disagree with me. Im trying to change the world. If everyone agreed with me, I wouldnt be able to convince anyone to change. And occassionally someone who doesn't agree with me says something that causes me to change my mind and makes me a better person for doing so, why would i object to that?

You can be sure it's the GOP behind the high cost of college (public ones' cost doubled just under W) and loans, and now possibly doubling the cost of loans. Some dems want to lower loans to 0.5%. Pubs and their dupes are terminally myopic (greedy)...

Libertarians want to get the government out of our back yards and pocketbooks and back to doing what the constitution says they can. If the government wasn't overspending the money they get from us there might be more fore grants and loans for those who qualify. The non-profits might get more money that is now wasted by our government to help those in need. Heck, we might be able to help ourselves if we didn't have to pay so much in taxes.

Nothing irks me off more than libertarian college kids who pay no taxes telling me - who is backing their student loans with my taxes - that I want to tax them too much. Boys and girls, just shut up. Enjoy going to college on loans with low rates of interest - and don't ask why the interest is so low. Just know that government is bad - its evil! Ask them if they want to eliminate the department of education? YES! Do you want us to eliminate your student loans so you can pay double the interest you pay now? NO!

Its quite easy for people who are 19 years old with no responsibilities and living partially off of loan money to say they should pay a flat tax, isn't it?

Most of them will grow out of it.

That's simply not true.
Myth: Increases in Federal Student Aid Drive Increases in Tuition
Public university tuition has inflated due to reductions in public funding of universities. Inflation in private school tuitions has not been nearly as high because they rely on far less public funding. Your analysis is based on either the faulty presumption that universities are for-profit - most are not - or the faulty presumption that not-for-profits behave as if they were profit seeking - most do not. Charitable thrift shops raise their prices when their costs go up, not when their customers get better loans. Universities raise tuition to cover their costs - not to deliver profit into shareholders hands.

They didn't mention the increased availability of student loans, and that's the main culprit.
They did mention it, first in the title. IN fact its kinda the subject of the whole article.

What you have stated is a myth based on the faulty presumption that colleges and universities behave as entities with profit motive. With rare exception, both public and private universities are not-for profit (on a side note, there is growing evidence that the for-profit universities suck)

In fact, it is the other way around. Rising college tuitions make student loans more necessary for students to attend school.

Colleges and universities can increase their prices because people can pay it.
That's not even strictly true. The public universities in my home state cannot increase their tuition without approval from the legislature. The legislature won't approve an increase in tuition simply so the university can pad its coffers, there needs to be a demonstrated need for the increase based on the increase of cost.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back