🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Nuking the Filibuster will bite dems in the ass.......

The rule will not be changed back by the GOP. Why should they? The Dems have proven themlseves unreliable and it would effectively mean two rules: one for Dems and one for the GOP.
Suck it, Dems.

I'm going to disagree with you. We need congress to be run the way our founders intended. The nuke option needs to go and if McConell is serious about bringing the senate back he needs to do it.

Why, Jake?

I'm not jake you dick. I'm judicial review, which is the 1 major power of the judicial branch that the founders intended it to have. Respect it.

Why? Because it's against the constitution and law of the land and not in any way legal for the senate to operate with it in place. It also, screws up the proper process. A power grab.

Jake is a prototype fake Republican poster

Well I'm not him. so quit.

JR, I couldn't help but notice that you claim an IQ of 130. Yet I see you trying to discuss real issues with other right wing posters who possess an IQ in the 75 range (Frank, rabbit). Good luck with that. You will feel better when you quit bashing your head on the keyboard.

JR, I couldn't help but notice that you claim an IQ of 130. Yet I see you trying to discuss real issues with other right wing posters who possess an IQ in the 75 range (Frank, rabbit). Good luck with that. You will feel better when you quit bashing your head on the keyboard.

I tend to educated people. Why should I stop? IQ's can increase. Granted, you're right it's not easy at all.

I hear Carrottop is looking for a new comedy writer, you should send him this as a sample of your skills

The rule will not be changed back by the GOP. Why should they? The Dems have proven themlseves unreliable and it would effectively mean two rules: one for Dems and one for the GOP.
Suck it, Dems.

I'm going to disagree with you. We need congress to be run the way our founders intended. The nuke option needs to go and if McConell is serious about bringing the senate back he needs to do it.

Why, Jake?

I'm not jake you dick. I'm judicial review, which is the 1 major power of the judicial branch that the founders intended it to have. Respect it.

Why? Because it's against the constitution and law of the land and not in any way legal for the senate to operate with it in place. It also, screws up the proper process. A power grab.

But those are the rules now!

You know, using the NSA to spy on us is also against the rules as is using the IRS to audit political enemies

Suck it, Dems.

The real question though is not weather or not he should do it but WILL he?

I don't think he will. The Washington trend is to keep power once it is garnered.

We will see.. Won't we?
We will. I really hope they do the honorable thing and replace the rules and remove the damage the democrats have wrought.

A party doing the honorable thing though - I might as well hope to get a unicorn.

Yeap, I wonder if Senate Democrats would have nuked the filibuster if they had known they were going to lose the Senate at the very next mid-term election. The framers intended the filibuster to be a key safeguard against pure majority rule.

Similarly, now that Obama has set the precedent for ignoring Congress and ruling by executive order, one wonders what Democrats will have to say if a future Republican president does the same thing.

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

?

If that second statement applies to the op and not the first statement about judicial review: I think you are mistaken here. The rules of each house are not a constitutional matter - the constitution specifically left that up to the houses themselves. It has been ruled on before by the SCOTUS - they don't have any real say in how the rules are established or in enforcing those rules.

Essentially, it is perfectly legal for the senate to simply trash the filibuster practice even if it is greatly harmful to the overall operation of the nation. Further, the judicial branch has no power whatsoever to demand that they senate keep any particular rule in place - that is not a 'judicial review' power. That power is for reviewing LAW not the individual rules that the other branches of government have established for themselves.

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

You know, using the NSA to spy on us is also against the rules as is using the IRS to audit political enemies

I'm for the NSA and they should only be able to act with a warrant. I want a flat tax and believe that one of the perks about being an accountant which IRS agents are is that you have 30 different careers you can chose just by getting a 4 year accounting degree. It's a great field and the only reason why they would complain is because they know the tax code is so complicated they can sucker people for money.

The filibuster should be enforced: the individual needs to get up on his feet and talk until he drops.

The 60 vote cloture needs be dropped, period.

Parting Shot Retiring Senate Democrat Takes Swipe at Harry Reid for Nuking Filibuster - Daniel Doherty

From retiring senator Levin's speech:

“I believe the excessive use of the filibuster to obstruct confirmation of President Obama’s nominees was damaging to the Senate and to the nation,” he acknowledged. “But the Senate majority eliminated obstructions to presidential nominations through the use of the nuclear option, effectively accomplishing a rules change outside the rules, a method I could not support. In doing so, a precedent was established that the majority could effectively change the rules as it wished, by overruling the chair and the parliamentarian. That precedent will not serve the country well in the future, because it leaves the minority with no protection, diminishing the unique role of the United States Senate. I hope the Senate next year considers reversing that precedent while simultaneously, and I emphasize simultaneously, amending the rules so as to assure a president’s ability to fulfill his or her constitutional duties."

Sen. Levin was one of only a handful of Senate Democrats to oppose what members of both parties have called, at one time or another, a "naked power grab."

Well, guess who owns the show now.

You libs can bend over and kiss it good-bye.
The next Republican President will have a cornucopia of power grabbing precedents set by Obama and the Dems to pick and choose from, as he takes this country further right than it has ever been.

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

I'm for the NSA and they should only be able to act with a warrant. I want a flat tax and believe that one of the perks about being an accountant which IRS agents are is that you have 30 different careers you can chose just by getting a 4 year accounting degree. It's a great field and the only reason why they would complain is because they know the tax code is so complicated they can sucker people for money.
I want a simple tax code, but, I can live with a graduated income tax.

Just tax EVERY income from 5% to 20%, and don't let anyone hide anything.

If you can't give up 5% of what you earn, you don't deserve to live here.

Parting Shot Retiring Senate Democrat Takes Swipe at Harry Reid for Nuking Filibuster - Daniel Doherty

“I believe the excessive use of the filibuster to obstruct confirmation of President Obama’s nominees was damaging to the Senate and to the nation,” he acknowledged. “But the Senate majority eliminated obstructions to presidential nominations through the use of the nuclear option, effectively accomplishing a rules change outside the rules, a method I could not support. In doing so, a precedent was established that the majority could effectively change the rules as it wished, by overruling the chair and the parliamentarian. That precedent will not serve the country well in the future, because it leaves the minority with no protection, diminishing the unique role of the United States Senate. I hope the Senate next year considers reversing that precedent while simultaneously, and I emphasize simultaneously, amending the rules so as to assure a president’s ability to fulfill his or her constitutional duties."

Sen. Levin was one of only a handful of Senate Democrats to oppose what members of both parties have called, at one time or another, a "naked power grab."

The next Republican President will have a cornucopia of power grabbing precedents set by Obama and the Dems to pick and choose from, as he takes this country further right than it has ever been.

Thankfully, it will be a generation before we see another Republican President

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

The founders did not create Judicial Review.

The Supreme Court took the power for themselves, and got away with it.

Annotation 13 - Article III - FindLaw

You will eat that post in two years.

You will eat that post in two years.
Doubtful

With the current alignment of he electoral college, Republicans need a near sweep of the swing states
Depending on how inept a candidate they run, we will see how big a landslide Hillary wins by
Dems will take back the Senate also

Suck it, Dems.

The filibuster didnt start until the 1830s, and so is not part of the Founding Fathers' vision.
If the GOP gets rid of the nuclear option and binds themselves there is no guarantee the Democrats will respect that when they get back in power (note, I wrote "when" not "if"). In fact the opposite.
Why should the Senate have one set of rules for Dems and one for te GOP?

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

You're rapidly descending into Jake Starkey terrirtory.
Judicial review is not part of the constittuion and is a power the Court dreamed up in Marbury.

Forum List

Back