NYC raises cigarette sales age to 21

Here I did some calculation for you

The population of Australia is 23 million

You say lung cancer can cost 100K

If we use your 50 year example your personal cost for that smoker over 50 years is $.000087 per year

I shouldn't have to spend a single cent on their medical treatment.

If we use your 50 year example your personal cost for that smoker over 50 years is $.000087 per year

You didn't.

Since no all smoker get lung cancer the taxes paid by smokers who don't get lung cancer subsidize the ones who do. Smokers in general pay far more in taxes than nonsmokers. Tell me do you think any of that money subsidizes programs you like, use and want to have?

I'm sure they do.

So smokers don't really "cost" you anything.

Please. In the world of socialized medicine people pay for shit they'll never use and for other people all the time. Take America's Obamacare as an example... I'm a 49 year old man, my wife 56. Neither one of us has need of maternity care or pediatric dental care, but guess what? The government is forcing us to buy it anyway...

Here's another example... A good portion of my annual car tax goes to the schools here in my area, even though all my children are adults and have never lived in South Carolina. Seems to me the tax should be assessed based on a family,\'s use of the schools, but too bad for me. I get to pay for someone else, again...

Now, get over yourself. You're nothing special.

Last edited:

You spend way more on non-smokers who live longer. You need to address this.

You spend way more on non-smokers who live longer. You need to address this.

Plus all the taxes smokers pay on cigarettes to help pay for that medical treatment.

Forum List

Back