NYT Paul Krugman review of “White Rural Rage: The Threat to American Democracy,”

RedState Mike Miller

"Distinguished" economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman is back with another ridiculous op-ed, gang. This time, the elitist, bubble-dwelling left-winger made a complete fool out of himself by declaring "white rural rage" is the "single greatest threat facing America" today.

Not only did Krugman fail to connect the dots between "white rural rage" and whatever "single greatest threat" he concocted in his TDS-riddled brain, but he also failed to provide a single example of how this alleged rage is manifested.

In other words, yet another out-of-touch crock of crap from Mr. Krugman.

In a Monday NYT op-ed titled "The Mystery of White Rural Rage," Krugman hyperbolically wrote (emphasis, mine):

NYT Paul Krugman "Progress isn’t painless. Business types and some economists may talk glowingly about the virtues of creative destruction, but the process can be devastating economically and socially for those who find themselves on the destruction side of the equation. This is especially true when technological change undermines not just individual workers but whole communities.
This isn’t a hypothetical proposition. It’s a big part of what has happened to rural America.
This process and its effects are laid out in devastating, terrifying, and baffling detail in “White Rural Rage: The Threat to American Democracy,” a new book by Tom Schaller and Paul Waldman. I say “devastating” because the hardship of rural Americans is real, “terrifying” because the political backlash to this hardship poses a clear and present danger to our democracy, and “baffling” because at some level I still don’t get the politics."

Krugman doesn't "get the politics" because his brain, like all left-wing brains, is consumed with all things Donald Trump and MAGA Republicans. Sure, progress — pushed by technology — can be difficult for blue-collar America. We get that. But where is the "white rural rage," Mr. Krugman, and how is it the single greatest threat to America, given that we have hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens from all over the world flowing into this country monthly?

And how is "white rural rage" a clear and present danger to our democracy when we see repeat violent offenders regularly released to the streets of Democrat-run cities, often until they commit horrific crimes? I could continue, but please.

Later in his op-ed — which I found somewhat humorous — Krugman touched on wealth redistribution, the favorite tool in the Democrat toolbox.

Comment:
There is no "White Rural Rage."
There is no "Threat to democracy."
What we have are White Supremist Urban Liberals who hate and fear the people who live in-between LA and NYC, aka Heartland Americans.
The Democrat Party is an urban coalition.
The Radical Left has been loathing suburbanites and rural Americans and Wasps for decades.
This book is just more far left Democrat cultural hate and fear mongering.
It is an election year propaganda piece that is designed to scare people.
The real threat to 'democracy' is the corrupt Democrat Party's weaponization of the FISA court, IRS, FBI, and DOJ.
The real threat to 'democracy' are the censorship crimes of Democrat Party.
The real threat to 'democracy' is using phony indictments to interfere with the election.
The real threat to 'democracy' is ballot box stuffing and unverifiable mail-in ballots and counting ballots behind closed doors.
The real threat to 'democracy' is non-citizens voting in our elections.
The real threat to 'democracy' is counting non-citizens in our census.
What is always amazing to me is that small town living doesn't have a problem with the homeless, have far lower crime rates, the school children seem to be happier, have more fun, are more calm, less depressed than their city counterparts. Information is hard to find on line when Google and Microsoft et al suppress so much honest information on conservative values and concepts but I would guess test scores on average are higher in rural schools than in city schools these days.

In fact the main concern for 'education' I am seeing among the so-called 'experts' is that rural children have less access to psychologists and counselors. And I'm thinking that could be a good thing. :)

But of course the left sees all of that as rural conservatives are an existential threat to our democracy. As Obama described them: "They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." Always pulling the race card. And most recently it is "Christian Nationalists" who are the most dangerous people of all.

But Paul Krugman's Keynesian and big government leftist concepts have long been over the top. I wasn't trusting his opinions long before Donald Trump was anything other than a wealthy and successful social magnet everybody wanted to be photographed with.

Last edited:
What is always amazing to me is that small town living doesn't have a problem with the homeless, have far lower crime rates, the school children seem to be happier, have more fun, are more calm, less depressed than their city counterparts. Information is hard to find on line when Google and Microsoft et al suppress so much honest information on conservative values and concepts but I would guess test scores on average are higher in rural schools than in city schools these days.

In fact the main concern for 'education' I am seeing among the so-called 'experts' is that rural children have less access to psychologists and counselors. And I'm thinking that could be a good thing. :)

But Paul Krugman's Keynesian and big government leftist concepts have long been over the top. I wasn't trusting his opinions long before Donald Trump was anything other than a wealthy and successful social magnet everybody wanted to be photographed with.
The whole concept of 'white rural rage' is just left-wing cultural hatred.
The White Radical Left has supremist loathing of average mainstream Americans.

The whole concept of 'white rural rage' is just left-wing cultural hatred.
The White Radical Left has supremist loathing of average mainstream Americans.
That's it exactly. So many of the left are perpetually indignant, angry, offended, personally judgmental, unhappy people and they can't stand that so many of those in rural areas don't share that with them. So of course all different from the left must be condemned with the harshest terms available.

In fact, the Constitution says shall guarantee a Republican form of government, not democracy.

Article IV, Section 4:​
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government...​
In a republic, the people elect those that will run the government for the good of the republic. The US is a democratic republic where those elected by the people run the government in keeping with the beliefs and desires of the people they represent.

But of course the left sees all of that as rural conservatives are an existential threat to our democracy. As Obama described them: "They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." Always pulling the race card. And most recently it is "Christian Nationalists" who are the most dangerous people of all.

Small town America has less crime because the residents are significantly older than in big cities by about 8 years. This is very significant because younger people commit more crimes than older adults. Secondly, the fact that population density is very low in small towns compared to large cities is also very significant because higher population density is where we find the most violent crimes.

People who experience rural homelessness are often referred to as the “hidden homeless.” Many rural homeless people live in places we do not see; they often are sleeping in the woods, campgrounds, cars, abandoned farm buildings, or other places not intended for habitation. Just because you don't see them sleeping in the streets does not mean they are not there.

bhjkkkikkloll.jpg

agananamamma,a.jpeg

Small town America has less crime because the residents are significantly older than in big cities by about 8 years. This is very significant because younger people commit more crimes than older adults. Secondly, the fact that population density is very low in small towns compared to large cities is also very significant because higher population density is where we find the most violent crimes.

People who experience rural homelessness are often referred to as the “hidden homeless.” Many rural homeless people live in places we do not see; they often are sleeping in the woods, campgrounds, cars, abandoned farm buildings, or other places not intended for habitation. Just because you don't see them sleeping in the streets does not mean they are not there.
There have always been 'hobos' who choose to live in the woods, along the tracks whatever. They used to come around asking for chores to do and my mom would always find something they could do for a few groceries and/or a meal even though we were pretty poor ourselves. They weren't beggars and so far as we could tell they weren't thieves. They were proud to work for what they got. That is far different than the situation you have in the cities.

School children are the same age no matter where they are.

There is less crime in small towns because there are fewer criminally minded who choose small town living.

And my friends and relatives who grew up in the big cities and also reading cultural analysis from several writers I have admired over the years. inner city living in the 40's, 50's 60's, even into the 70's and 80's was very different without the psychological issues that we are seeing now.

There have always been 'hobos' who choose to live in the woods, along the tracks whatever. They used to come around asking for chores to do and my mom would always find something they could do for a few groceries and/or a meal even though we were pretty poor ourselves. They weren't beggars and so far as we could tell they weren't thieves. They were proud to work for what they got. That is far different than the situation you have in the cities.

School children are the same age no matter where they are.

There is less crime in small towns because there are fewer criminally minded who choose small town living.

And my friends and relatives who grew up in the big cities and also reading cultural analysis from several writers I have admired over the years. inner city living in the 40's, 50's 60's, even into the 70's and 80's was very different without the psychological issues that we are seeing now.
I think your memory is biased toward the goodness of the past ignoring real life in those days. Hobos were not good family men who were down on their luck as pictured in Capra movies. They were mostly migrants, gypsies, the mentally disturbed, ex-cons, and other outcasts of society that travel across the country, working on odd jobs, and committing petty crimes.

Police dumping was also common in those days. In smaller towns and cities, the police picked up those that appear to be vagrants and took them a few miles outside the city limits and dumped them with a warning to keep moving. In larger cities, they jailed them overnight and put them on a bus for some other city.

Probably the biggest difference between the homeless of today and that of the 40's and 50's is that 1/3 of the homeless today are women and half of those women have children who also are homeless. The second is they are not itinerates. Rarely do the homeless venture out of town. Also 53% in homeless shelters and 40% that are unsheltered have either full time or part time jobs.

Last edited:
That's it exactly. So many of the left are perpetually indignant, angry, offended, personally judgmental, unhappy people and they can't stand that so many of those in rural areas don't share that with them. So of course all different from the left must be condemned with the harshest terms available.
A battle between two stereotypes
Silly

RedState Mike Miller

"Distinguished" economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman is back with another ridiculous op-ed, gang. This time, the elitist, bubble-dwelling left-winger made a complete fool out of himself by declaring "white rural rage" is the "single greatest threat facing America" today.

Not only did Krugman fail to connect the dots between "white rural rage" and whatever "single greatest threat" he concocted in his TDS-riddled brain, but he also failed to provide a single example of how this alleged rage is manifested.

In other words, yet another out-of-touch crock of crap from Mr. Krugman.

In a Monday NYT op-ed titled "The Mystery of White Rural Rage," Krugman hyperbolically wrote (emphasis, mine):

NYT Paul Krugman "Progress isn’t painless. Business types and some economists may talk glowingly about the virtues of creative destruction, but the process can be devastating economically and socially for those who find themselves on the destruction side of the equation. This is especially true when technological change undermines not just individual workers but whole communities.
This isn’t a hypothetical proposition. It’s a big part of what has happened to rural America.
This process and its effects are laid out in devastating, terrifying, and baffling detail in “White Rural Rage: The Threat to American Democracy,” a new book by Tom Schaller and Paul Waldman. I say “devastating” because the hardship of rural Americans is real, “terrifying” because the political backlash to this hardship poses a clear and present danger to our democracy, and “baffling” because at some level I still don’t get the politics."

Krugman doesn't "get the politics" because his brain, like all left-wing brains, is consumed with all things Donald Trump and MAGA Republicans. Sure, progress — pushed by technology — can be difficult for blue-collar America. We get that. But where is the "white rural rage," Mr. Krugman, and how is it the single greatest threat to America, given that we have hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens from all over the world flowing into this country monthly?

And how is "white rural rage" a clear and present danger to our democracy when we see repeat violent offenders regularly released to the streets of Democrat-run cities, often until they commit horrific crimes? I could continue, but please.

Later in his op-ed — which I found somewhat humorous — Krugman touched on wealth redistribution, the favorite tool in the Democrat toolbox.

Comment:
There is no "White Rural Rage."
There is no "Threat to democracy."
What we have are White Supremist Urban Liberals who hate and fear the people who live in-between LA and NYC, aka Heartland Americans.
The Democrat Party is an urban coalition.
The Radical Left has been loathing suburbanites and rural Americans and Wasps for decades.
This book is just more far left Democrat cultural hate and fear mongering.
It is an election year propaganda piece that is designed to scare people.
The real threat to 'democracy' is the corrupt Democrat Party's weaponization of the FISA court, IRS, FBI, and DOJ.
The real threat to 'democracy' are the censorship crimes of Democrat Party.
The real threat to 'democracy' is using phony indictments to interfere with the election.
The real threat to 'democracy' is ballot box stuffing and unverifiable mail-in ballots and counting ballots behind closed doors.
The real threat to 'democracy' is non-citizens voting in our elections.
The real threat to 'democracy' is counting non-citizens in our census.
One of the stupidest public intellectuals of the last 50 years

NY Times’ Paul Krugman says ‘inflation is over’ — if you exclude food, gas and rent​

By
Social Links forAriel Zilber
Published Oct. 13, 2023

Okay,lying is wrong so I will say with but a little qualification that by far Krugman is the stupidest economist of my lifetime

NY Times’ Paul Krugman says ‘inflation is over’ — if you exclude food, gas and rent​

By
Social Links forAriel Zilber
Published Oct. 13, 2023

Forum List

Back