Obama admin to Boston Herald: You're not allowed access because of a story you wrote

White House shuts out Herald scribe - BostonHerald.com

The White House Press Office has refused to give the Boston Herald full access to President Obama’s Boston fund-raiser today, in e-mails objecting to the newspaper’s front page placement of a Mitt Romney op-ed, saying pool reporters are chosen based on whether they cover the news “fairly.”

“I tend to consider the degree to which papers have demonstrated to covering the White House regularly and fairly in determining local pool reporters,” White House spokesman Matt Lehrich wrote in response to a Herald request for full access to the presidential visit.

“My point about the op-ed was not that you ran it but that it was the full front page, which excluded any coverage of the visit of a sitting US President to Boston. I think that raises a fair question about whether the paper is unbiased in its coverage of the President’s visits,” Lehrich wrote.
The administration straight out admitted to not allowing the Herlad reporter in due to Obama's visit not being on the front page and instead running a front page story on Romney.

To me this behavior by the white house, especially considering that last sentence, is both UN-Presidential and UN-American. Its also very childish behavior, not very mature at all.

Pushing back isn't "childish behavior"; pushing back is assertive and a method used by mature people to make a point. It's not as if he called the Boston Herald Un-American now is it? The point being if the paper did not believe a presidential visit important enought to report, why would the president's staff believe the paper had any interest in reporting what the president might address.

Another partisan hack leaping under the bus to defend Obama.

How is a front page op ed about jobs less important that a fund raiser?

The White House Press Office has refused to give the Boston Herald full access to President Obama’s Boston fund-raiser today, in e-mails objecting to the newspaper’s front page placement of a Mitt Romney op-ed, saying pool reporters are chosen based on whether they cover the news “fairly.”

“I tend to consider the degree to which papers have demonstrated to covering the White House regularly and fairly in determining local pool reporters,” White House spokesman Matt Lehrich wrote in response to a Herald request for full access to the presidential visit.

“My point about the op-ed was not that you ran it but that it was the full front page, which excluded any coverage of the visit of a sitting US President to Boston. I think that raises a fair question about whether the paper is unbiased in its coverage of the President’s visits,” Lehrich wrote.

The administration straight out admitted to not allowing the Herlad reporter in due to Obama's visit not being on the front page and instead running a front page story on Romney.

To me this behavior by the white house, especially considering that last sentence, is both UN-Presidential and UN-American. Its also very childish behavior, not very mature at all.

Pushing back isn't "childish behavior"; pushing back is assertive and a method used by mature people to make a point. It's not as if he called the Boston Herald Un-American now is it? The point being if the paper did not believe a presidential visit important enought to report, why would the president's staff believe the paper had any interest in reporting what the president might address.
So, the paper must automatically put it on the front page, OR ELSE!

That's some stupid shit.

Romney is the former Governor who still carries influence in that state. What is wrong with them putting his op-ed up front and center, Over Obama's stupid visit?

Oh, that's right!...........How dare they not put the Annointed One out front and center.

All heil the American version of Hugo Chavez!

Fuckin' ridiculous.

Last edited:

so the fact that they ran a front page op-ed piece by mitt romney on MARCH 8 indicates that they didn't want to cover a visit in may?

please

You are obviously incapable of understanding liberal logic.

Welcome to the club.

so, anyone, any examples other than the a fore mentioned non example? I'll check back later.

[in my best chuck woolery voice-over]

"and heres hoping that the sun shines on YOUR particular news org. as it always maintains its...."

I'm looking for an example of another president barring access to public events held by a president such as this one now. I'm sure there is one out there that will be similar....even so, you could provide me 20 examples and I will still think this is bad behavior by the Obama admin and any other admin that did the same thing.

yes, good post, logical forthright and if I were presented with similar acts by Bush Reagan Truman etc. I'd call them same; crass under handed and frankly undemocratic, ' Nixonian' in fact.

Me too. I have no recollection of this ever happening under Bush, but will freely admit I am wrong if someone provides one. Not answering questions from someone who believes you are the worst president is petty, but it is nothing like cutting off access of a reporter because a paper printed a story. Anyone who thinks it is just misses the point.

* crickets *

The lack of a response is deafening.

I'm looking for an example of another president barring access to public events held by a president such as this one now. I'm sure there is one out there that will be similar....even so, you could provide me 20 examples and I will still think this is bad behavior by the Obama admin and any other admin that did the same thing.

This is a public event? You don't need a ticket to attend? Seems to counter the whole fund raising idea.

Can anyone buy a ticket?

man your bad today, its like your not yourself

Anyone that can spend 10 to 30 thousand for a plate of bad chicken can.

Del did you move this to politics? I almost posted it in politics at first but then thought "well its about the media so maybe i should post it there"

Just asking for future reference, i dont care what section its in as long as its not the romper room :lol:

I went though exactly the opposite logic.

I posted mine in politics. Maybe he thought I had the right forum, and you had the right thread title.

I wonder if Reagan banned the Washington Post for printing his full schedule, to include arrival and departure times to and from various meetings and events on the day Hinkley shot him?

Seems to me that would be a good cause to ban a media entities access from that point forward.

Oh, but wait, Reagan had too much class to ever allow something like that to happen.

Obama could learn something there.

Last edited:
So what?

Maybe they should send a reporter out to cover whatever Mitt is doing?

They did that on May 8th and it is the reason obama's admin wont let them into this event.....they checked out what mitt was doing and did a front page story on mitt while not putting obama on the front page, this is the issue the admin has with the herald.

No, I think you might want to re-read your story Pilgrim. They put an editorial/opinion piece written by Mitt on the entire front page. That is what the WH find objectionable.

Why is that objectionable? He wrote an opinion piece about jobs, and is the former governor.

I see this as a good thing. Firstly,, the more media the asshole refuses access to the less coverage he gets. He's just stupid enough to shoot his own foot off. and secondly every time he does this shit it reinforces to the American people what a petty little pussy he is..

They did that on May 8th and it is the reason obama's admin wont let them into this event.....they checked out what mitt was doing and did a front page story on mitt while not putting obama on the front page, this is the issue the admin has with the herald.

No, I think you might want to re-read your story Pilgrim. They put an editorial/opinion piece written by Mitt on the entire front page. That is what the WH find objectionable.

Why is that objectionable? He wrote an opinion piece about jobs, and is the former governor.
It's objectionable because this President, his administration, and liberals in general would love to see fully controlled media.

It's objectionable because this President, his administration, and liberals in general would love to see fully controlled media.

That is the only possible explanation, and that is scary. And very sad..

yes, good post, logical forthright and if I were presented with similar acts by Bush Reagan Truman etc. I'd call them same; crass under handed and frankly undemocratic, ' Nixonian' in fact.

Me too. I have no recollection of this ever happening under Bush, but will freely admit I am wrong if someone provides one. Not answering questions from someone who believes you are the worst president is petty, but it is nothing like cutting off access of a reporter because a paper printed a story. Anyone who thinks it is just misses the point.

I want a piece of that pie too. As a avid media watcher for a long time now, I recall rumbles of reinstatement of the so-called 'Fairness Doctrine' from time to time, but I do not recall a sitting president EVER punishing a media source because he thought he had been slighted in some way. I would be really surprised if anyone can find an instance of George W. Bush or any member of his staff doing that, but if somebody can find a credible example, I'll acknowledge it.

so? I don't talk to people if they piss me off , so what ?

so? I don't talk to people if they piss me off , so what ?
It's a blatant attempt to control a print media enitities content through threat and intimidation.

It's what has gone on under every opressive regimes leadership.......And is not something that should EVER happen in this great country......And it's not the first time this President and administration has pulled this shit.

So what?

Maybe they should send a reporter out to cover whatever Mitt is doing?

Oh really? and when obama got Op-ed his printed in the NY Times and then the Times refused McCains, only agreeing to print it after revisions and editing after supplying a laundry list of what McCain needed to write etc...:lol: what then? Should McCain then have cut off access to the Times?

examples please?

Didn't Helen Tomas get moved to the back of the bus and have to wait three years before being called upon by Bush again at a presser after she said she was covering the worst President in history?

Yeah, I know...anti-semite but there's your Bush example.

Didn't she still have fill access to the White House and was still part of the press pool?

I'm assuming you meant "full" access and the answer is no. Before her comments about Bush she was called upon to ask a question at every presser. After her comments she went three years without being called upon. Like it or not her access to the President was cut off as a result of her saying negative things about him. The Bush admin punished her for her comments. Now please, join Trajan and tell me water isn't wet.

The O is used to having the media kiss his ass, so anyone who doesn't is apparently not worthy.

But Bush did it first! Waah!

Actually all presidents have likely done it.

Was that after or before He told Noah to build the Ark and flooded the earth? Was it before he started the Civil War or WWII??? Was it before or after he sunk the Titanic? Was it before or after he brought about the Black Death? Why oh why, can't you be more specific uscitizen??? Is there anything in your mind Bush is not responsible for? .... Just saying. ;)

You realy need to work on that comprehension problem.

UnAmerican Piece of Crap,

You REALLY need to work on providing links instead of dodging the issue you Obamarrhoidal Piece of Shit.

Didn't Helen Tomas get moved to the back of the bus and have to wait three years before being called upon by Bush again at a presser after she said she was covering the worst President in history?

Yeah, I know...anti-semite but there's your Bush example.

Didn't she still have fill access to the White House and was still part of the press pool?

I'm assuming you meant "full" access and the answer is no. Before her comments about Bush she was called upon to ask a question at every presser. After her comments she went three years without being called upon. Like it or not her access to the President was cut off as a result of her saying negative things about him. The Bush admin punished her for her comments. Now please, join Trajan and tell me water isn't wet.

She went everywhere she wanted to, and filed columns regularly. She was obviously talking to someone in the White House, even if she did not get catered to in the press conferences. She had access.

Forum List

Back