Obama Ends Nfl Blackout! Because He Is In Total Control...

francoHFW

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2011
NY 26th FINALLY DEM!
God I love Dem administrations, for the little guy, hater dupes. And stop Pubs from starting ANOTHER deregulated, corrupt bubble/bust scandal recession....Too bad the NFL will now make the same old contract with TV...Pubs/big business cronies are hard to stop screwing the little guys...see also box seat and huge seat/parking inflation- all for business write-offs and the bloated rich. Thanks Pubs and silly dupes.

Last edited:
Gee, I fee so sorry for NFL owners. With an average ticket prices being over $250, A family of 4 can expect to pay about $1200 for just one ball game.

God I love Dem administrations, for the little guy, hater dupes. And stop Pubs from starting ANOTHER deregulated, corrupt bubble/bust scandal recession....Too bad the NFL will now make the same old contract with TV...Pubs/big business cronies are hard to stop screwing the little guys...see also box seat and huge seat/parking inflation- all for business write-offs and the bloated rich. Thanks Pubs and silly dupes.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Sure is nice to know that while Americans are being beheaded both overseas and at home, our president is more concerned with how to stop the deregulation of professional football.

Thanks, Obama. :udaman:

Maybe Obama has been working on this with the FCC all these years and THIS is why he couldn't go to intelligence briefings.

:lol:

Thanks again, Obama's Dem FCC. When was the last time ANY Pub agency did ANYTHING for the little guy? bring on the myths, hater dupes....

Congress passed the 72 hour rule in 1973. The Democrats had the House and the Senate.

:)

Prior to 1973, all games were blacked out in the home city of origin regardless of whether they were sold out. This policy, dating back to the NFL's emerging television years, resulted in home-city blackouts even during championship games. For instance, the 1958 "Greatest Game Ever Played" between the Baltimore Colts and New York Giants was unavailable to New York fans despite the sellout at Yankee Stadium. (Many fans rented hotel rooms in Connecticut or Pennsylvania to watch the game on TV, a practice that continued for Giants games through 1972.) Similarly, all Super Bowl games prior to Super Bowl VII in January 1973 were unavailable in the host city's market.

The policy was in effect when, in 1972, the Washington Redskins made the playoffs for only the second time in 27 seasons. Because all home games were blacked-out, politicians – including devout football fan President Richard Nixon — were not able to watch their home team win. NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle refused to lift the blackout, despite a plea from United States Attorney General Richard Kleindienst. Kleindienst went on to suggest that the United States Congress re-evaluate the NFL's antitrust exemption.

Rozelle agreed to lift the blackout for Super Bowl VII on an "experimental basis." Nonetheless, Congress intervened before the 1973 season anyway, passing Public Law 93-107, which eliminated the blackout of games in the home market so long as the game was sold out by 72 hours before game time.[1] The league will sometimes change this deadline to 48 hours if there are only a few thousand tickets left unsold; much more rarely, they will occasionally extend this to 24 hours in special cases.[2]"

So the Dem congress HELPED the little guy AGAIN. While Pubs did nothing but bs as usual...

Wiki-

"

Thanks again, Obama's Dem FCC. When was the last time ANY Pub agency did ANYTHING for the little guy? bring on the myths, hater dupes....

Funny you should ask. :lol: Senator McCain was fighting for this on Capitol Hill all by his lonesome. No one co-sponsored his bill.

MCCAIN: 'OUTRAGEOUS'

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., claims the NFL's blackout rule, instituted in 1973 and regulated by the FCC, is extreme, archaic and poor public policy. In May, the 2008 presidential nominee introduced a bill that would prohibit the league from blacking out games in markets in which teams have used public financing for stadium construction.

"I think that's outrageous," McCain testified May 14 during a Senate subcommittee hearing.

"Now, if that stadium is not taxpayer-financed, then that owner can do anything they want to. But if the taxpayers paid for them then, by God, I think the taxpayers ought to be able to see the game whether they sell out the stadium or not."

Populism permeates McCain's eight-page Television Consumer Freedom Act, proposed legislation that would curb cable operators' ability to bundle channels and allow viewers to purchase them from an "a la carte" menu.

The blackout ban is the final sentence of the bill. Its language does not define public stadium financing or even mention the 1961 antitrust law that has allowed the NFL to exclusively negotiate, on behalf of its teams, billions of dollars worth of television contracts.

FILE -- This is a Sept. 20, 2009, file photo showing fans in Jacksonville Municipal Stadium stadium during an NFL football game between Arizona Cardinals and the Jacksonville Jaguars, in Jacksonville, Fla.

So far, only Jacksonville has had its home opener blacked out last weekend. The Jaguars were so far from selling out that they didn't even bother requesting an extension. (Steve Cannon, Associated Press)

McCain's proposed law has not attracted any co-sponsors, nor have any hearings been scheduled on Capitol Hill.

What is more, the bill faces fierce opposition from the NFL and TV executives.

Sen. John McCain fans battle NFL over blackout rule - The Denver Post

nice deflection....Nixon.

You should get some vaseline so this won't hurt so bad franco. :lmao:

Actually get a really big jar of vaseline. This is going to be painful for you.

:lol:

NFL blackout rule: Richard Nixon hated it
By Brian Murphy, St. Paul Pioneer-Press
Posted: 07/07/2013 06:00:37 AM MDT3
Updated: 07/07/2013 06:01:29 AM MDT

Football populist Richard Nixon was furious at the NFL and wanted to flex his political muscle to end television blackouts.

At 2:06 p.m. on Dec. 18, 1972, Nixon met with Attorney General Richard Kleindienst at the Executive Office Building and railed against the league's policy that prevented fans from watching their team's home playoff games on TV.

The 37th president of the United States wanted to intervene because the Washington Redskins-Green Bay Packers postseason game at RFK Stadium on Christmas Eve was going to be blacked out in Washington, D.C., even though it already was sold out.

In a conversation secretly recorded by the White House bugging system that helped doom his presidency, Nixon threatened to sue the league if it did not lift blackouts for the playoffs.

The devout Redskins fan ordered Kleindienst to "get busy with your lawyers" and take the fight to NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle and Redskins owner Edward Bennett Williams.

The Pioneer Press downloaded the conversation from the National Archives.

"I think that's terrible," Nixon groused. "I think I might call them up and say, 'Put it on TV or I'll sue them all.' I'm all for it. I've said that several times."

"Do you want me to do it?" Kleindienst asked.

"Sure," said Nixon.

"I can scare the hell out of them," the attorney general said.

"As a matter of fact," the president continued, "Let's also remember that'll kick Edward Bennett Williams in the ass. He's the owner of the goddamn

team. Just say, 'Yes, the games should be on TV.' Take it into district court and ask for an injunction or something."

Listening to Nixon curse the NFL while carrying the flag for Joe Sixpack shows the leader of the free world wielding power six weeks after his landslide re-election over George McGovern, just as the Watergate scandal was about to engulf his
administration.

Rest at link and worth the read.

NFL blackout rule Richard Nixon hated it - The Denver Post

Why is it so damn hard for you franco to believe that a Republican can actually try to help the little guy?

I gave you McCain and Nixon.

The truth is out there. It is fact. Not fiction. Nor is it opinion.

And I love this part of the story.

"As the 1972 postseason began, Nixon was miffed his local constituents could not watch their Redskins, who eventually advanced to Super Bowl VII. And he happened to have the country's highest-ranking law enforcement official at his disposal.

"I think it's a bad policy," Nixon told Kleindienst, according to the scratchy recording.

"Listen, get the whole bunch, get the whole country riled up. That's my point. Why just make it a Washington story?"

NFL blackout rule Richard Nixon hated it - The Denver Post

And yet STILL nothing but Pub BS....THEY NEVER HELP THE LITTLE GUY- no money in it...One of your more obvious losses lol...Night!

I gave you a President and a Senator who wanted the blackout lifted. Nixon wanted to sue the NFL for crying out loud. McCain actually introduced a bill.

That's not a loss franco. I proved you wrong. Again.

It's ok. But I have to break this to you as well. There are 5 members of the FCC. There are two R's.

Both voted to lift the blackout. They made it unanimous.

:)

After fighting popular things for years, they usually go along once they've lost, for bs propaganda purposes and dupes only.

You said Dems passed the blackout , while actually they made home game watching possible! Nixon DID NOTHING, McCain's bill was a joke. Just the usual bs, for dupes only. Where did you get that, btw? The propaganda machine? Will you ever learn?

This isn't about Republican or Democrat and never has been. It's about MONEY; something the NFL and its owners seek to maximize at all times. The reports I was hearing last night indicated that the NFL was already prepared to reinstate the same or similar demands on the networks by themselves if the blackout rules are undone by the FCC.

Yup, and big money runs the new bs GOP- see Big Oil, Big Health, Big Pharma, defense etc etc etc, and has since TR...Dems, not so much, and because of Pub campaign finance and lobbyist law that loves their money.

Forum List

Back